What's new

The Explorers DVD - Full Details (1 Viewer)

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor

And the "deleted scenes" aren't exactly deleted scenes, either. As someone mentioned below, they were both in the Theatrical Release Version, but left out of the re-edited Video Version ("director's cut"), which is what we're getting on the DVD.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Interesting that 2 scenes from the theatrical version were cut for the video release. Was this a troubled production? Did Dante not get to finish it in time?

Neil

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
According to Dante, it was definitely a troubled production. He's very polite and sanguine about the matter in interviews, but it's clearly one of his many heartbreaking experiences in the studio system. We can only hope enough units of this compromised edition sell so that perhaps a proper Dante-approved edition will be considered in the future. He has all the materials to do it with.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Well, with not much research (okay, I inadvertently stumbled across this) it seems that Explorers never was finished. Here's a quote from Joe Dante, where he was just talking about film music, "I've always been grateful for how much has been added to my own films by gifted composers. Probably the most yeomanlike work has been contributed by Jerry Goldsmith, whose soaring music for Explorers (1985) did its best to disguise an unfinished movie...". You can find that quote here.

I wonder if there is any interest in getting this film done, once and for all.

Neil

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Maybe that's why the film plays so beautifully for the first 3/4 of its running time only to be chewed-up and shat out during the final section. Man, what a wasted opportunity.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks