What's new

Pre-Order The Expanse: The Complete Series (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
61RHfBsUIpL._SL1000_.jpg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Wayne Klein

Second Unit
I appreciate that they finally released the last two seasons and the box but the first two seasons could use remasters. They look good but could look even better. id love the whole set in 4k but. Universal won’t do that.

Baenwort

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Cee
B5 already got my Christmas gift budget but it is nice to see this series completed on any physical media and I hope copies are still availible next Christmas!

Wayne Klein

Second Unit
B5 already got my Christmas gift budget but it is nice to see this series completed on any physical media and I hope copies are still availible next Christmas!
I don’t doubt it will be. If not, the last two seasons have been release separately as well. The only difference is lack of a ISBN on the back of all the discs in the boxed set vs. the individual releases.

I really would have loved a 4k release as it was shot in 8K But I’m happy to have it. The Amazon stream in the U.S. looks better although it does have its own compression issues Making it almost a wash.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I appreciate that they finally released the last two seasons and the box but the first two seasons could use remasters. They look good but could look even better. id love the whole set in 4k but. Universal won’t do that.

The only disappointment so far -- aside from wishing they were released on UHD -- was that the Season 6 disc did not include the "One Ship" webisodes.

I need to schedule a complete series re-viewing (along with one for Babylon 5).

Wayne Klein

Second Unit
The only disappointment so far -- aside from wishing they were released on UHD -- was that the Season 6 disc did not include the "One Ship" webisodes.

I need to schedule a complete series re-viewing (along with one for Babylon 5).
I just rewatched the entire run. It looks pretty good upscaled to 4k. The One Ship episodes may be exclusive to Amazon but it’s not like Universal was going to do a lot of work on this anyway; the rest of the series has a chapter stop set up so you can skip the main titles. On those last two seasons they didn’t even bother to put it so you can skip the main titles And resume right after they end.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I just rewatched the entire run. It looks pretty good upscaled to 4k. The One Ship episodes may be exclusive to Amazon but it’s not like Universal was going to do a lot of work on this anyway; the rest of the series has a chapter stop set up so you can skip the main titles. On those last two seasons they didn’t even bother to put it so you can skip the main titles And resume right after they end.

Speaking of the main titles...

So far, I've watched all of S1, and the first disc of S2. I'd forgotten some of the oddities of the transfers. In the S1 set, the entire main titles are used only on the first episode and the last (double-) episode. The rest of the episodes use a very truncated (like about 5 seconds) version, with the main credits running during the beginning scenes. Me, I love the main titles (Norwegian vocals and all :thumbs-up-smiley: ), and I'd be happy to watch them through on every episode, so I'm rather bummed by the truncated version)

The other oddity is the first episode of S2. When originally broadcast, eps 201 and 202 were run as a single double-length episode, so there was only one set of opening credits, which included specific credits for the second episode. On disc, the two episodes are separate, but the first episode still has the credits from the two-in-one version, and then the second episode has its own set of credits. I'm not sure if it's Universal's doing or Alcon's (or whoever it was that did the mastering).

But yeah, Universal didn't seem to want to make much of an effort. The first four seasons have bonus features (even if generally perfunctory), and the last two seasons are barebones.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
In the S1 set, the entire main titles are used only on the first episode and the last (double-) episode. The rest of the episodes use a very truncated (like about 5 seconds) version, with the main credits running during the beginning scenes.

I’m watching the series for the first time on Prime now, in the middle of the first season, and that’s how they’re presented there as well. Had you not mentioned this I wouldn’t have thought there was anything missing from the presentation.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
It's possible that this is the way it was originally broadcast on Syfy, and my memory is just interpolating the full-length opening titles. The only reason to use a shorter version of the main titles is to free up some time for another commercial, but Amazon shouldn't need to do that.

Curious.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Oh, almost forgot the other "difference" between the individual releases of the first four seasons and the CS box. The discs in the box set have actual label art on the discs (albeit the same art as on the cover slip), while the original releases had the typical Universal lettering on the shiny surface.

The other thing I'd forgotten is that I'll have to keep the sleeve for the original S2 release when I trade in the original releases to Bull Moose. The sleeve is a nice lenticular version of the cover slip art.

Wayne Klein

Second Unit
Oh, almost forgot the other "difference" between the individual releases of the first four seasons and the CS box. The discs in the box set have actual label art on the discs (albeit the same art as on the cover slip), while the original releases had the typical Universal lettering on the shiny surface.

The other thing I'd forgotten is that I'll have to keep the sleeve for the original S2 release when I trade in the original releases to Bull Moose. The sleeve is a nice lenticular version of the cover slip art.
Yeah I kept my sleeve for season two and framed it. I know it’s odd but it is cool looking. It’s on the wall next to my original poster for 2001, Aliens and Zardoz. Granted it’s pretty tiny but it adds to the wall.

As to the credits my guess is that they confirmed the rest of the episodes when it went to Amazon. I can’t recall if the title sequence was full length for all the episodes though. It’s been too long.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks