What's new

"The Dick Van Dyke Show Season 3" -- A Personal Review (1 Viewer)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Via the "crossover" thread here at 'HTF-TV Shows', I noticed a very
interesting Dick Van Dyke / Mad About You crossover/connection.

If anyone cares, this "Mad About You" ep. with the Van Dyke Show
twist (entitled "The Alan Brady Show") aired during Season 3 of the series,
on February 16, 1995. Which means it will be included in the next available
DVD boxed set of the program (should one eventually be produced).

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
FYI -- Just noticed something kind of strange. There's a small edit in the season-three Dick Van Dyke Show episode, "The Life And Love Of Joe Coogan". There's a very funny line by Rob that has two words cut out for some unknown reason on the DVD-Video.

See if this is the case on your copy. ...........

In the office scene where Rob is talking to Laura on the phone, after Laura's line, "I don't like your tone!", Rob says: "You're gonna hear a dial tone in a minute, because I'm gonna hang up on you!"

On the DVD, the words "On You" are muted. But you can easily see Rob mouthing the words. So the words are indeed in the script. And it's not a case of the studio-audience laughter drowning out these words.

Can't figure out WHY this small edit was made. I'm nearly certain the "on you" words are there when you see the show on TV.

DanaA

Screenwriter
Hmmm, just picked up seasons three and four. I'll watch out for that, although it makes no sense to bleep out those words. Strange, huh?

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
While watching Episode 90 ("October Eve"), which is contained in the Season 3 DVD boxed set, I took note of another "blooper"/"gaffe"/"oddity". .............

Somehow, "Serge Carpetna" (Carl Reiner), the artist who "undressed" Laura with his paintbrush, manages to be wearing the exact same shirt (with the exact same paint stains on it) throughout this episode -- even though his scenes in the program are supposed to be taking place years apart. :)

Mr. Reiner should have had a second paint-stained shirt available for the final two (current-day) scenes for this episode, with a differing pattern of stains on it. It's fairly obvious that Carl's wearing the very same shirt (and probably pants too) in both the flashback scene and the "real time" scenes as well.

Just another small "Van Dyke Show irregularity" to add to the existing list of such trivial matters. :)

It's approaching the first-year anniversary since the first two seasons of these Dick Van Dyke Show DVD sets initially were released into the marketplace, and (to date) I've yet to encounter a DVD that has given as much enjoyment as the 5 full-season DVD-On-DVD boxed collections. Perhaps the vast population out there might disagree with me. But, so be it. For me, Rob & Laura & Harrison B. Harding & Kolac from Twilo reside on some of my most re-visited discs in the ol' Digital Library.

How 'bout you guys? What TV shows do you re-visit the most?

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

This does not seem that odd to me, but then again I'm the type of person that can/do make shirts last a very long time...I guess it would depend on how many years are supposed to have passed bye...although, I still have a few shirts in good condtion that I got my senior year of college (spring 1999) that are in good condition and still fit. But, that's enough of my shirt buying habbits.

I'm sure that's just one of those things, where he thought who is gonna notice this in the year 2004, its not like people will be watching this show in their homes on small shiny discs or something...

Although, David, I have missed you pointing out these things, that are just fun little notes of trivia.

I also agree with you in that sometimes for me, just knowing that I have all the episodes of the Dick Van Dyke Show available for my viewing enjoyment whenever I wish brings a smile to my face...I must admit that it doesn't see as much replay as the Simpsons among other shows, but when I watch the Dick Van Dyke Show, I tend to go through a lot of it at once. I still remember last year on Thanksgiving which was the first day I sat down and watched a good chunk of that first season set, after the football of course, but once I got in to it next thing I knew it was just after midnight and I was still watching.

Maybe, I'll have another thanksgiving viewing this year, again after the football...the other thing is, my mom still watches it on TV Land, and everytime the show comes on I think to myself...hey, I have this episode on DVD...before the end of the opening credits comes.

Glad to have all 5 seasons!
Great sets!
Great show!
What more could I want?

Next Up...TAGS!

Ryan FB

Second Unit
I'm starting to work through these again, picking up from where I left off at the end of S2, and I noticed a little continuity goof on S3's "Happy Birthday and Too Many More". At the beginning of the episode, Laura talks about how it'll be great for the kids to go to Dizzy Land, ride all the rides, get dizzy and then eat. Then later, when they wind up having the party at their house, she tells Rob not to let Ritchie do too much or he'll get dizzy before he eats, then get sick.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Absolutely! :)
Originally, we'd be looking forward to that S.1 set next Tuesday (October 12th). But, as everyone probably is aware, Paramount pushed it back a few weeks, to November 16. Oh, well. At least it's coming in a season compilation. Finally. :)

Make sure to save the "Christmas Story" episode of 'TAGS' until the night of December 24th. I've done this with TDVDS ep. "The Alan Brady Show Presents" (Christmas show); "saving" that one for December 2004. ;)

Just noted on TV-Tome.com -- What 4-year-old writes up the synopses for some of the shows listed there?
Just look at this horrid descriptive passage for the aforementioned Dick Van Dyke episode, "The Night The Roof Fell In" ........

>>> "Rob comes home mad because the script needed a rewrite, Buddy was late & Sally left early. Rob leaves mad and goes for a walk. Laura wants a chance to talk to somebody so Millie listens not quite sure what they fought about."

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Perhaps, she just figured at the amusement park she wouldn't have to clean up any mess he made by getting sick, whereas in her own house its a different story. Although, even so that's a pretty interesting thing to bring up; can't think of any other reason why Laura would say that.

David, that was a terrible episode description, it leaves me with no idea what the episode is about.

Definitely plan to view those Christmas episodes, as well as a few from other series on Dec. 24.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Here's another very odd description from the Tome site. Sure sounds like these were done by a child. :) ..........

"My Blonde-Haired Brunette":

>> "Rob has only one day off from work and Laura is upset that Rob won't eat with her or do anything but sleep until 11am. Laura tells him he got about 7 seconds worth of sleep! (She set the clock ahead two hours!) Laura worries she is getting old (because of gray hair Rob found). In the office Rob tells Buddy and Sally the problem, but Rob has no idea what he and Laura fought over (She was crying to(o) hard). Rob thinks over what may have made Laura cry. Rob calls her to say "I Love You." Laura tells Rob not to come home for an hour. (Millie ran out the hair color she use it all last week.)"

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Some more interesting Van Dyke trivia .............

The painting shown in the episode "The Masterpiece" was done by Van Dyke Show Art Director Ken Reid. Writer Sam Denoff now owns the painting.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Its like they're trying to tell you what's happening in the episode without actually telling you what its about.

It is high commedy.

Not as high, as the commedy of the Dick Van Dyke Show itself, but then again, what is?

Hey, perhaps Richard ROSEBUD Petry is responsible for those descriptions? If memory serves, he did refer to his dad as "Rob" briefly in one episode before corrected.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Trivia/Blooper Break ..............................

Can anyone spot the gaffe in Season Two's "The Two Faces Of Rob"? (In one of the "office" scenes.)

Good Luck.

And remember -- "Dolce Far Niente!" :)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Noticed something kinda odd (wardrobe-wise) re. two episodes from Season #1 --------

If you watch the S.1 episodes "The Unwelcome Houseguest" and "Punch Thy Neighbor", you'll see that both Rob and Jerry Helper have on the exact same sweater. (Or at least ones of an exact same style/design).

Interestingly, though, I'm fairly convinced that the two sweaters are NOT the exact same one in both shows. Mainly because "Houseguest" was filmed months prior to "Punch", and Buddy's dog (Larry) rips Rob's sweater in "Houseguest".

So, unless they actually repaired (perfectly) the badly-torn right sleeve of the garment between the two programs, then we must therefore conclude, Your Honor, that the two seemingly-identical sweaters are, in point of fact, two different pieces of wearing apparel.

Just a "sweater" observation for your edification and files.

Hamilton Burger will now call Larry Sorrell to the stand to testify as to just exactly how he tore Robert's right sweater sleeve during "Houseguest's" filming on July 25, 1961. :)

"Oh honey, Larry didn't tear that....I ripped it on his tooth!" :)

EDIT --- Season One's "Who Owes Who What?" also features the very same sweater (worn by Rob in the tag scene). This ep. was filmed 9 days after "Punch Thy Neighbor"; so either Rob & Jerry are sharing sweaters to save on wardrobe costs; or they each owned the exact same kind of sweater. Perhaps it shows up in other episodes as well.

BTW -- The previous trivia Q in Post #133 was never answered, meaning everybody's now lost out on that FREE weekend for 2 at "Herbie's Hiawatha Lodge"! Sorry. :) ("Nothin' beats fun", ya know.)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
:) :) Survey for Dick Van Dyke Show fans :) :) ..................................

What are your "Most Watched" Van Dyke Show episodes (via the 5 splendiferous Image Entertainment full-season boxed collections)?

My Top 20 "Most Re-visited Episodes" list would look like this (what about yours?)..................

1.) "All About Eavesdropping" (Season 2 boxed set).
2.) "Harrison B. Harding Of Camp Crowder, Mo." (S.1).
3.) "The Curious Thing About Women" (S.1).
4.) "My Husband Is A Check-Grabber" (S.2).
5.) "Empress Carlotta's Necklace" (S.1).
6.) "Don't Toy With Me, You Saucy Wench" (S.4) *

* = aka: "Never Bathe On Saturday" :)

7.) "A Nice, Friendly Game Of Cards" (S.3).
8.) "Punch Thy Neighbor" (S.1).
9.) "Ray Murdock's X-Ray" (S.2).
10.) "The Sick Boy And The Sitter" (S.1).
11.) "The Night The Roof Fell In" (S.2).
12.) "The Ghost Of A. Chantz" (S.4).
13.) "A Man's Teeth Are Not His Own" (S.2).
14.) "The Case Of The Pillow" (S.4).
15.) "The Two Faces Of Rob" (S.2).
16.) "Pink Pills And Purple Parents" (S.4).
17.) "That's My Boy??" (S.3).
18.) "The Impractical Joke" (S.4).
19.) "Coast-To-Coast Big Mouth" (S.5).
20.) "My Blonde-Haired Brunette" (S.1).

Overall Favorite Seasons -- S.2 and S.1. ... Although all 5 seasons are top-notch, as all Van Dyke Show fans can attest. :)

-----------------------------

Post-Script ...........

Something I thought of while recently watching the "Vic Damone"/"Ric Vallone" episode --- during the entire course of the Dick Van Dyke Show CBS-TV series, creator/writer/producer Carl Reiner (plus the other top execs, Danny Thomas and Sheldon Leonard) never once exploited the "showbiz" angle of the Van Dyke series. What I mean by that is -- Carl & Company never felt the urge to cave in to the "Lucy Show Syndrome", and therefore very seldom brought in major movie stars of the day as guest stars to play off of the rest of the cast.

The "Let's get a big-name guest star on the show every week" scenario could have easily been done (and with a built-in "realism" as well, due to Robert Petrie working in show business on a popular variety show). From what I've read regarding the series, many big stars would drop by the show's soundstages to shoot the breeze. It seemed to be the "in" place to be in Hollywood. Well, at least one of the "in" places at any rate.

And I'm guessing that if he would have wanted to bow down to such ratings pressures, Mr. Reiner (et al) would have had no trouble at all garnering many major movie stars as guests on TDVDS.

I'm very glad, however, that Reiner decided not to go the "Lucy Show" route for bigger ratings or for prestige value (or whatever) -- because relying on the great regular cast was a much better plan.

And I find it interesting, too, to note that even when TDVDS did occasionally include a guest star to sing or dance on the fictional "Alan Brady Show", you'll note that the guest actor was always of a somewhat lesser-known stature, with character names created for them -- such as the aforementioned "Ric Vallone" used instead of Vic Damone's real name. ... And "Jacques Savon", and "Tracy Rattigan", and "Paula Marshall".

I often wonder how good the show would have been if Carl Reiner had decided to include huge-name guest stars each week (playing themselves), like on Lucille Ball's shows -- with people like John Wayne, Jack Benny, Bob Hope, Sammy Davis, and Jerry Lewis popping in every week to make an Alan Brady Show appearance.

I, for one, am just as content and satisfied with the likes of "Janie Layton", "Henry Walden", "Jim Darling", "Valerie Blake", "Max Calvada", "Randolph Eisenbauer", and "Harper Worthington Yates". Plus, of course, the first-rate regular cast members, who didn't need to play second banana to anybody, IMO. :)

Trivia -- As far as I can recall, other than the episode featuring some real-life old-time radio stars, the only other time in the whole Dick Van Dyke Show series that a really big-name star is mentioned as being a guest on the Alan Brady Show is in the "Walnut" episode, when Danny Thomas is said to be the guest. But even there, when Danny Thomas does pop up, he's not really playing himself -- but, instead, he's "Kolac" from the planet "Twilo". :)

In closing, let me just state ---- "I haven't had this many laughs since the Saint Valentine's Day Massacre!" :)

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
The episodes I know that have gotten the most viewing would include (in no particular order):

1-"Brother Can You Spare $2500?"
2-"The Sound Of The Trumpets Of Conscience....etc"
3-"Bank Book 65066" (you correct the number Dave)
4-"Who Stole My Watch?"
5-"Uhny Uftz"
6-"The Man From My Uncle"
7-"Bad Reception In Albany"
8-"The Lady, The Tiger And The Lawyer"
9-"Obnoxious, Offensive, Egomaniac"
10-"Baby Fat"

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I am still making my way through the sets, but the one I will keep going back to is the "Sam Pomerantz Scandals". That is truly one of the best half hours of television I have ever seen. Everything from the JFK impressions to Dick & Mary's wonderful "Carolina in the Morning" bit to the "I am a Fine Muscian" ending and (most of all) Dick and Henry Calvin's loving and affectionate L&H tribute.

But really, there are very, very few bad episodes in these sets. Heck, I can even find some redeeming value in the "Twizzle" episode :)

Thanks again to David VP for convincing me to buy these sets when they first came out. I haven't regretted it since!

Steve

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

OK, if you insist. :) ...... "Bank Book 6565696". *

* = A bank book which, btw, happens to contain a balance of exactly $378.16. :)

"A three hundred & seventy-eight dollar sports shirt?"

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

I concur.
"The Twizzle" has a number of funny spots in it -- e.g.: Rob's funny line after Sally has demonstrated all of Randy's talents herself: "I've gotta admit, Sally, this guy is great!"

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Gosh darn-it, Steve...O. --- See what you've done now (by mentioning the Twizzle ep.): I'm now humming that Twizzle song and can't get it removed from the brain! NOW what am I supposed to do, put in the "Mountain Greenery" episode? ;)

"Evvvvvvv-eryyyy-body, start in doing the Twizzle ... evvvvvery-body....."

This is ALL Steve's fault!

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks