THE DEVILS (1971) SE Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jeffrey Nelson, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson Screenwriter

Jeffrey Nelson
    Will it be at least the uncut original theatrical version? Will it contain the "Hell On Earth" documentary? Dare I even hope that it will contain the fabled "Rape Of Christ" sequence, edited back into its proper place? Will WB rescind their "no NC-17 or Unrated" policy for this film?

Or, will it be the same-old same-old hacked-to-bits version, all lovingly restored, color-corrected, anamorphic widescreen, and sound remixed to 5.1?

2. Charlie O.

Charlie O. Supporting Actor

WB has release a few Unrated DVD in the past so it shouldn't be a problem.

3. Malcolm Cleugh

Malcolm Cleugh Second Unit

Already being discussed

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=228097

The version I saw at the BFI last year did have the scene reinserted. However unlike to be allowed in a UK version as would have to be certified by the BBFC. Should not be an issue in the rest of Europe and elsewhere.

4. Stas T

Stas T Stunt Coordinator

Let's hope for the best. "The Devils" deserves it. Fingers crossed that it comes out soon.

5. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

Since this is my most wanted film on DVD, I'll post to every thread concerning this film.

I really do expect Warner to release the uncut version on DVD, I just can't see them releasing an edited version. They have to know that there is a pretty big cult following for this film and that people would be pretty upset with a mutilated version (at least I will and wouldn't buy it). At one time Warner wouldn't release an unrated film on DVD, but I don't think that is the case anymore. I just wish they would have said something in the chat about this issue.

Since I've been waiting for almost 20 years to see the uncut version, I'll be happy with just the film, but a commentary by Ken Russell would be great. Anything else would be icing on the cake.

6. Anthony*B

Anthony*B Stunt Coordinator

its my most wanted too Jay, lets start a club [​IMG]
    In all seriousness, this really does need to happen...i think this is a considerable & significant film by anyone's standard, & the recent "grey market" dvd (my only mention of it moderators, I promise [​IMG] ) has only made my desire for a good official dvd presentation stronger...make it happen WB! take a stand against the censorious philistines ruling over us with an iron fist (how's that for melodrama?)

7. Greg_M

Greg_M Screenwriter

Warner released the censored version of "Eyes Wide Shut" so I wouldn't hold my breath.