What's new

The Coppola Restoration (Mr. Harris) (1 Viewer)

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I watched all three Godfather films yesterday, and I just wanted to thank Mr. Harris and all the people who worked on restoring these films. They look spectacular!

I watched the extra on how the films were restored; it was nice to see Mr. Harris again, talking about the restorations. I'm happy I can put a face to word... now I know who is writing. :)

Thanks again Mr. Harris.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I watched all three Godfather films yesterday, and I just wanted to thank Mr. Harris and all the people who worked on restoring these films. They look spectacular!

I watched the extra on how the films were restored; it was nice to see Mr. Harris again, talking about the restorations. I'm happy I can put a face to word... now I know who is writing. :)

Thanks again Mr. Harris.

Our pleasure, from the entire restoration group.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Since this is the most recent Godfather thread I'll reply to this.

I watched these films in my late teens 18-19 years ago, and I honestly couldn't see what was the fuss about them because I couldn't relate to the stories (generally I didn't like mafia/gangster films).
But since this boxset is in the Amazon Gold box deal of the day, for only $16.99 and these are so highly acclaimed, I just purchased it.

I'm expecting that my opinion might change since my tastes have expanded and I'm watching only old films now (i've watched many hundreds already - around 18), and I like (almost) all genres..

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Hopefully, Paramount will confer with Robert Harris to ensure that this exciting news remains in check and in sync with the specs of his Restoration work.:cool:

Last edited:

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I understand the star of Passengers, who plays the captain, has a bit part in The Godfather Part III.

undefined

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Wow, is it really necessary to post a spoiler from a completely unrelated movie into this thread?

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
As far as I know, this is unsubstantiated rumor.
Truly not trying to be funny here, but when you say "unsubstantiated rumor" I am betting that you are referring to "The Godfather" films being released on 4K/UHD vs. the "Spoiler" photo of the star from "Passengers" being described as an actor who had a bit part in "The Godfather Part III". I only ask for this clarification, as your Post immediately followed the prior 3 Posts dealing with this aforementioned actor.

Last edited:

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the input, RAH. When I first heard this I thought it seemed a little early in the format's life for these to get released. And when it does happen, I really hope the filmmaker's involvement is there for any HDR applied.

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
I was revisiting the movies and actually went through every permutation I have (TV, Saga versions, DVDs, Blu-ray). I found out there are 5 differents versions of the saga (not counting releases with minimal changes).

I think a HDR version would be a great seller. Looking back now on the Blu discs, the blown out whites have this distinct HD blown out look that looks well, clipped, and comparing to the DVDs, some details is lost.

I think it probably happened at the compression stage? HDR would make this look way easier on the eyes, preserving the details in the whites while still being faithful to the blown out look.

This is DESTINED to be re-release in HDR with much fanfare! Especially as I believe the remasters were 4K scanned.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I was revisiting the movies and actually went through every permutation I have (TV, Saga versions, DVDs, Blu-ray). I found out there are 5 differents versions of the saga (not counting releases with minimal changes).

I think a HDR version would be a great seller. Looking back now on the Blu discs, the blown out whites have this distinct HD blown out look that looks well, clipped, and comparing to the DVDs, some details is lost.

I think it probably happened at the compression stage? HDR would make this look way easier on the eyes, preserving the details in the whites while still being faithful to the blown out look.

This is DESTINED to be re-release in HDR with much fanfare! Especially as I believe the remasters were 4K scanned.

There should Never be an HDR version.

Image content in this film, is constantly surviving on the edge.

Reactions: PMF

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Doesn't make it perfect content for HDR?
What wonderful films, I also thinking watching it again, that III is way underated.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks