What's new

The Classic Sci-FI Ultimate Collection (1 Viewer)

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

Yeah. The content is certainly the main thing, but it's just nice to have something that looks good and classy. I do often appreciate good cover art as art in itself. It's like paperback novels: I'd much rather have a book with a Frazetta or Robert McGinnis cover than the generic "fragment of black and white photo" or "posed models standing around" that's slapped on lots of books today. It just looks better :)

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I watch the Cover Art all the time.
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif
1/2

The art reminds me of LD Cover Art. :laugh:

WadeM

Supporting Actor
The moderator at DVDReview's forum stated on August 8 that the official announcement should come in about 2 weeks--so apparently we should expect an official announcement within the next week or so.

I think the cover art is kinda funny. Yeah, it could have been better, but I'll accept it--it's still the movies that count.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Call me perverse, but I LOVE the cover art. I mean we're not talking Citizen Kane or The Seventh Seal here folks, with the exception of Incredible Shrinking Man, these ARE cheesy 1950s B sci-fi movies and the cover accurately reflects that. Truth in advertising if you ask me. Lighten up!

And yes, I love the movies as much as everyone else here but keep some perspective, guys!

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc

Oh, I always love it when CITIZEN KANE gets thrown around whenever it comes to degrading any other film, no matter what genre it may be in. None of us need to lighten up. We are just commenting on the fact that we feel the cover art looks cheap, cheesy, and like a public domain set. You may feel differently. I'll be the first to admit that MONSTER ON A CAMPUS is not in the same league as THE SEVENTH SEAL (duh), but the point is, this cover doesn't even hint at what these films really are about, even if they are just 50's b-movies. A screaming woman next to big colorful cheesy-font letters - looks like it was put together by a first grader. And as far as perspective goes, I think everyone's comments here are very much in perspective - the cover art sucks and we'll still be buying the set because we love the movies so much. Pretty clear and level-headed as far as I can see. What's the problem?

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I just read on DVD Talk this is a Best Buy exclusive. Thats why its not being listed anywhere else. Guess it is on Best Buy's site, but I have not looked yet. I would buy it in store on release day anyway. Anyway, if i see it i will buy it.

GlennWD

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Glenn DelRossi
I Found it on the Best Buy Web Site, here it is
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....uct&id=1559115
A very good price, and yes still absolutely horrible artwork that should be burned, in the background of the artwork you can see the original posters of the films, why not just use them? I dont think its that hard, and it would make just about everybody happy. Nothing ruins a great DVD more for me than horrible artwork, Yes Cover Artwork Does Matter!

JerryKILL

Stunt Coordinator
Oh no...the last time I had to deal with a BB exclusive was that batch of Midnite Movies a few years ago....which was a total fiasco. Out of stock titles, delivery screw ups... I vowed never to deal with BB again after that experience, but looks like I have no choice if I want these movies. I hate these studio/retailer tie ins, just makes it hard for us consumers to buy what we want. I live over 200 miles from the nearest BB, so must deal with the BB website, which sucks!

WadeM

Supporting Actor
The DVD Talk info was quoted from DVD Review: http://www.dvdreview.com/news/

So apparently DVD Review had the news first and exclusively. :emoji_thumbsup:

I know I went ahead and ordered my copy since it's only 19.99 as a pre-order, compared to almost $30 if you wait to pick it up in the store. I don't like these retailer exclusives either, but I guess Universal thinks they can't sell enough otherwise to produce more?? or what??

Anyways, as DVDReview states, quantity should be limited so get yours while you can!

GlennWD

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Glenn DelRossi
I just Pre Ordered it from Best Buy.com as well I didn't want to get stuck not being able to get it since apparently its limited. (Probably Means Limited To 500 Million)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I predict this will sell far better than Universal imagined it would. That'll teach those goofballs a few things.

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

Hey, if they put a picture of a Bug-Eyed Monster menacing a nubile college coed while a flying saucer zaps tanks in the background, I'd be down with that.

But a woman lying on the ground against a skittle-colored background with "SCI FI ULTIMATE COLLECTION" emblazoned in a font that looks like it was designed by a first grader, that's just dumb.

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
It's probably going to be a Best Buy Exclusive like The Sci-Fi Boys DVD which was released to other stores 2 months after being available at Best Buy.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
So it's been confirmed. Cool.
Best Buy exclusive? Okay, no big deal.
Cover art. Meh, but I can live with it.

What I'm curious about is - Will these be presented in their OAR?
Being a Best Buy exclusive, we probably wont get any early web reviews to let us know.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I hope some advance copies get out, I'd love to know if all will be in the correct widescreen ratio before I order it. Has Universal and BB ever done an exclusive title? I wonder why Universal isn't putting this out as a normal release.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

BB might have just paid them to release it on their own for the first few months.

This is the first I'm hearing of the set but it's great news (even with the campy artwork). There's a couple titles I haven't seen in the set but overall, Universal is really kicking ass when it comes to horror releases this year. Three box sets, a made for TV flick and a couple 2-disc SEs. :emoji_thumbsup:

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
$20 says almost all of these (if not all) will be bare-bones, full-frame transfers. Every single film that's on that set was composed for widescreen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks