What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The Chronicles of Riddick vs Pitch Black (1 Viewer)

Jim Williams

Second Unit
Are these different versions of the same movie or are they two completely different movies? Pardon me if this is a very stupid question.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Pitch Black is definitely better but... I found Chronicles to be fun, but in a guilty "what a missed opportunity" kinda way :b

If I may offer a humble opinion:

Pitch Black is at least twice the film that Riddick is, although it is really unfair to compare the two. As has been said here already, they are two completely different films.

Riddick seems intent on "wowing" the audience from the start, with big special effects and a plot that doesn't really matter. That isn't to say that Riddick is a bad film, it is just that Pitch Black is superior in every way (except, perhaps, in terms of SFX, but that doesn't really concern me).

I guess it was confusing due to the fact that Pitch Black was remarketed as Chronicles of Riddick: Pitch Black when the sequel came out at the cinemas.

Hector.B

Stunt Coordinator
both films are great IMO. David Twohy (director of Pitch Black and Chronicles of Riddick) has come a long way since his days of directing Charlie Sheen in the Arrival (another great Sci-fi flick). Has anyone seen Arrival II?

I thought Karl Urban was pretty cool in Chronicles of Riddick, since this was his first film post Lord of the Rings as Eomer.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
The Arrival II is awful, it really suffers from the lack of Twohy's guidance.
I always thought that The Arrival was an underrated gem.

Keith E

Stunt Coordinator
I thoroughly enjoyed Pitch Black. My wife purchased Chronicles for me for Christmas, haven't had the time to watch yet. Hopefully will get to it soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoneman66
Recent bookmarks