What's new

'The Bronze' Short Review (1 Viewer)

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Squeezing in movies before the Batman/Superman tidal wave hits this weekend, I saw 'the bronze' yesterday. This is a dark comedy starring Melissa Rauch and Gary Cole. Cole is a long-time favorite of mine while I never watched the "Big Bang Theory" so came in to this unfamiliar with Rauch. Rauch's character, a gymnast who found bronze-medal Olympic glory 10 years ago but now has no life is relentlessly foul-mouthed and bad-tempered. The townsfolk and her dad (Cole) indulge her as a hero even though she is a hopeless prima donna. Plus, her squeaky voice is enormously annoying. None of the characters are particularly appealing and the movie's plot moves are predictable. She has sex with the studly male gymnast but ends up with the nerdy assistant who Truly Loves Her. She initially won't train a protege out of jealousy but then Comes Around on that and helps her achieve glory.

Nevertheless ... the film grew on me as it progressed. The strikingly bad language and sexuality slapped me in the face in a good way, it was bracing, much like, say, "Bad Santa"s was, or like "Borat" did. This is the riskiest film I've seen in a good while and I appreciated that. Plus, many of the foul jokes did strike home as funny. And the gymnastics sex scene is one of the funniest/best sex scenes ever. Seriously, ever.

I'm not sure what the rating on this film is but it must be at least an "R". If you are offended by really bad sexual language, stay away. In the end though, I enjoyed it. Rotten Tomatoes has this at 32%. Trust me, the 32% are right, the 68% who panned it are wrong, LOL.

7.5/10 stars

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I almost stopped reading after the first paragraph Obviously you hated the movie. Fortunately I kept going and found you liked it. I think Rauch has contributed a lot to the BBT so I should get around to seeing this movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks