What's new

The Big Bang Theory - season 5 thread (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
So, not my favorite episode. It had moments, but didn't get wholly right the balance of emotional and humorous. I think I expected more conflict from Raj's unintentionally mean-spirited "toast". I guess this was the weakest of the season for me.

But having Penny deeply moved by Howard's speech was a nice moment.

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
DaveF said:
So, not my favorite episode. It had moments, but didn't get wholly right the balance of emotional and humorous. I think I expected more conflict from Raj's unintentionally mean-spirited "toast". I guess this was the weakest of the season for me.

I half expected Howard to say something sleazy and kill the moment.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
DaveF said:
Agree. To me this season is down in quality due to writing. It doesn't have the same punch that it had even last year. Just yesterday on TBS I watched the episode about the rich benefactor hitting on Leonard. The dialogue was much funnier. Seems this season they're relying more on physical humor and overused references (Raj's femininity or 'gayness')
I should go back and look and see who the writers were on my favorite episodes and see if they've been writing this season, or if they've changed.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
"We're playing doctor--Star trek style" is one of the best lines of the entire series. :)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Love seing Sheldon with Amy, even with his somewhat terrified, off the wall comments, naively not knowing what's really happening.
The Howard/Bernadette story is starting to fade a little, losing interest a bit.
Glad Leonard/Penny are getting back together, just hope the little marriage slip doesn't ruin things. Still like them all as misfit friends, but it's inevitable the relationships must move on, just hope the writers do it well without losing the magic of the show. Safely renewed for another season, so hope the quality continues.
Don't think they'll rock the boat much. Heard on Letterman that it's the number one comedy, so I think they'll play it safe and contnue.
Do with that somebody else might be up for an Emmy. Jim Parsons is really just playing a slightly skewed version of Jim Parsons. Emmy should recognize some of the other players.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Agreed about the Star Trek style line!
I also like how they are showing Howard's wedding is affecting everyone. I almost thought Penny would say yes.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Nelson Au /t/315066/the-big-bang-theory-season-5-thread/60#post_3923205
I also like how they are showing Howard's wedding is affecting everyone. I almost thought Penny would say yes.

Which just goes to prove that in many ways, Penny is really the smartest one of the bunch!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Just saw the finale. So Howard really went into orbit!
That was a fun way to do the wedding. And I like the idea of the Google Satallite photographing them. Of course they'd know when it's was over their location!
What I thought was cute during the launch was that Bernadette held Raj's hand, then Sheldon took Amy's hand to her delight. And then Penny took Leonard's hand.
So what could that mean for Bernadette? Is it foreshadowing anything? We know it was Raj's fantasy to have Bernadette. Will Howard die? Or will this complicate the marriage when he returns. Obviously the situation is changing for Sheldon and Amy! :) And we all want Penny and Leonard back together.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
For future trivia regarding this series - this is the first episode in which Howard's mom appears on screen. Technically speaking anyway. During the pull out of the Google view you see a woman in a red dress in the lower right corner of the rooftop.
I enjoyed the finale and anticipate some interesting anecdotes from Howard in the fall. With regards to Nelson's speculation - I seriously doubt that any thing will happen between Raj and Bernadette. I could be seriously wrong, but that just doesn't fit my mental view of this series and the characters.
- Walter.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Wow, I just checked the recording, there is someone in a red dress on the lower right in the Google view! Thanks for pointing that out.
You are probably right Walter. Raj would be disowned by his family too.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
My impression of the hand-holding between Raj and Bernadette was just two people providing support for each other over their concern for their mutual friend.

I loved that scene of the friends watching the lift-off together. Nicely done.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
You're welcome Nelson. Of course you are to blame for me mentioning trivia - you and that Star Trek thread. :)
- Walter.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Yes. Raj and bernadette both love Howard and so held hands in support. That was the segue to the "Oooh!" moment of Leonard and penny holding hand s and them Sheldon and Amy holding hands.
There was good humor in this episode, but it felt off to me throughout. A bit askew as it deviated from the norm. I think in part the scenes in the rocket weren't funny to me and the flashback construction was tedious.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Walter Kittel said:
For future trivia regarding this series - this is the first episode in which Howard's mom appears on screen. Technically speaking anyway. During the pull out of the Google view you see a woman in a red dress in the lower right corner of the rooftop.
I enjoyed the finale and anticipate some interesting anecdotes from Howard in the fall. With regards to Nelson's speculation - I seriously doubt that any thing will happen between Raj and Bernadette. I could be seriously wrong, but that just doesn't fit my mental view of this series and the characters.
- Walter.
That's really funny because right after that scene, i slo-mo'd the TIVO back and forth through the whole pullback to see the Mom shot and how far she was away from the strange ceremony.
Bernadette's Dad was at the lower edge and it looked like there was someone or something standing beside him, but i could never figure out what/who.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
David Norman said:
That's really funny because right after that scene, i slo-mo'd the TIVO back and forth through the whole pullback to see the Mom shot and how far she was away from the strange ceremony.
Bernadette's Dad was at the lower edge and it looked like there was someone or something standing beside him, but i could never figure out what/who.
I would think it would be her mom. I've not seen anything on the show to indicate that she was dead/gone. And Bernadette's intro into the show was as someone who could understand Howard's love/hate relationship with his mother, as she had one with her mom.
I'll have to go back and check the video to look for a woman in a red dress. :)
I also don't see anything happening between Raj and Bernadette, other than a perhaps a 'Three's Company' type of misunderstanding. Unfortunately, the writers have expanded and highlighted Raj's feminine side and I figure they'll do even more of that going forward. Which is too bad, as it works, but in small doses.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
The final scene was a nice one, more of friends bonding in the hand holding than anything else.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I think the hand holding may prove significant in Sheldon & Amy's relationship growth.
I'm glad to see Howard didn't wuss out. Ironic now that he's married, he has the ultimate pick-up line cred for actually being an astronaut.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
And it will be nice for the oft-maligned "engineer" to now be able to hold that (his astronaut status) over Sheldon and his non-doctorate bias.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks