Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Matt Hough

The Best of Cinerama Blu-ray Review

bestcineramatop-1024x516.jpg

Produced as a stopgap measure for Cinerama theaters awaiting the arrival of MGM’s The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm and How the West Was Won, The Best of Cinerama compiles memorable moments from the five produced Cinerama travelogues allowing audiences to catch up on incredible images from previous films they may have missed or to experience thrilling visuals from favorite Cinerama films once again.

[review]
Read more.

Last edited by a moderator:

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
I saw this last year at Bradford on the Cinerama screen and it looked excellent and this set also includes Shellarama aka Push Button Go which is a fantastic short.

Thanks Again to David Strohmaier

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
Got my copy of this yesterday. David Strohmaier and his team are to be congratulated for yet another great disc. Two observations:

I almost shipped my disc back as defective, because Act Two of the film repeated the first two scenes from Act One. Only by looking at the facsimile of the program contained in the case did I realize that the actual movie was also like that. I wonder how many moviegoers stormed up the aisle in 1963 to complain that the projectionist had put on the wrong reel (or wrong three reels -- this IS Cinerama, after all).

Also, this has been stated on other threads, but seeing the roller coaster sequence from THIS IS CINERAMA as well as the included restoration documentary in this new release makes me wish for a new Blu-Ray edition of THIS IS CINERAMA, using the new restoration from the original camera negative. The differences in quality are stunning, especially in my home theatre in Murphyrama.

Murphyrama.JPG

Last edited:

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Sold. I've wanted to see some of the Cinerama travelogues for a while, but hadn't gotten around to it. Ordered this and Russian Adventure from Flicker Alley directly.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
A rather good compilation of the first 5 Cinerama travelogues. I managed to see it when it was first released.
Lots of very rare and interesting extras on the blu-ray disc. Seeing the film on disc will never replicate the experience of seeing it in a cinema on the giant curved 3 strip Cinerama screen .It does however bring back many memories from more than 50 years ago.SHELLARAMA was screened in Cinerama where I worked. Just avoid listening to the commentary on the bluray disc for THE BEST OF CINERAMA. A more professional person would have made it easier to listen to .Some people just don't have the voice for being a narrator, no matter how interesting their views are. It was the same for RUSSSIAN ADVENTURE'S very annoying narration by Bing Crosby. Whatever could they have been thinking of by using him.?

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
I got this yesterday in London it looks excellent and the Shellarama short looks and sounds excellent as well, plus it has the tabs opening and closing at the end just like I remember a showing at the Odeon Marble Arch.

Thanks again David for all your hard work.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Matt:

Thank you for the excellent review. I really wish Flicker Alley or some other outfit would finally bring out a DVD/Blu-ray release of The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Matt:

Thank you for the excellent review. I really wish Flicker Alley or some other outfit would finally bring out a DVD/Blu-ray release of The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm.
That would be a dream come true. It's just terrible that it's the last of the true Cinerama films not on Blu-ray (and with no sign of it ever coming to Blu either).

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
The Review over at Blu Ray.com fails to mention about the new scan of This is Cinerama that was used for this, but it is in Matts excellent review here.

Last edited:

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
That would be a dream come true. It's just terrible that it's the last of the true Cinerama films not on Blu-ray (and with no sign of it ever coming to Blu either).

Everything comes to those that wait.Wasn't WWOTBG released on video many moons ago? I still have fond memories of seeing it in Cinerama back in the sixties.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I would love to Have TWWOTBG on BD or UHD.

It's on TCM once in a while. I don't remember if the last showing was the roadshow version. The roadshow has more picture info on the sides, video to go with the prologue, intermission and exit music which I don't think the laser disc has.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
Hi Roland, I just think myself lucky to have seen this in Cinerama twice in Bradford as they have the only 3 panel print left in the world.

Thanks again for your great Cinerama site.

best

Derek.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Hi Roland, I just think myself lucky to have seen this in Cinerama twice in Bradford as they have the only 3 panel print left in the world.

Thanks again for your great Cinerama site.

best

Derek.

Hi Derek,

I saw it at the LA Cinerama Dome for the 60th Anniversary of Cinerama. I don't know where the print came from. It was a bit beat up in some spots but mostly OK.

Thanks,

Roland

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks