What's new

the best DVD of ONE-EYED JACKS (1961) (1 Viewer)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
jimmcacoe said:
Best Quality DVD of One-Eyed Jacks
Quality DVD's of the great One-Eyed Jacks movie from 1961 are just about impossible to find. I know because I have purchased a bunch of them and they all stink, until now. I found a DVD with extremely high image resolution, a very sharp picture. This is produced by Centipede Films. The product code is CFW040. It is a two-pack, with a CD of the excellent Hugo Friedhofer musical soundtrack and a DVD of the movie. I bought this one from CDImports. The box cover has a gold band across the top: "Double Pack CD Original Soundtrack + DVD Movie -- ONE-EYED JACKS." The rest of the cover border is black, with a black and white photo of Brando behind bars, looking at Pina Pellicer. The names of the three main cast members runs along the bottom of the box in gold. The opening titles of this DVD are not high quality; do not despair. As the camera pans to the opening in the wall and the view of the town expands to fill the screen you will see great image sharpness.
Thank you for that.
For me - and I suspect for many others too - a major question is whether the colors are right. For example, in most iterations of this film on disc, the skies are grey, not blue. "Image sharpness" is nearly always a good thing but so are correct colors. So, please tell us if they got that right on this DVD.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I got the Centipede two-pack. The CD plays fine; the DVD, not at all, on any of my players. Proceed with caution.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Bob Cashill said:
I got the Centipede two-pack. The CD plays fine; the DVD, not at all, on any of my players. Proceed with caution.
If the DVD does not play on any of your players, I don't think I'll proceed at all! I'll stand well back! :)

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Bob Cashill said:
I'd recommend that, too. :) Nice score, however.
The cd is most probably a boot of the original lp version. The complete score was released on a 2 cd disc from Kritzerland.

jimmcacoe

Auditioning
Real Name
James
Yes, that's it. In my post I said it is available from CDImports. More correctly it is available from "ImportCDs.com". At least that is where I found it.

jimmcacoe

Auditioning
Real Name
James
I just found this online at ImportCDs.com. I typed in One Eyed Jacks and it came up number nine on the list. It says "Soundtrack" but it is a cd soundtrack and a dvd movie. I thought I was buying just the soundtrack and was surprised and pleased to find it also had the dvd and that the dvd had the best image quality I have seen.
9. Soundtrack CD Soundtrack
One Eyed Jacks
Buy New: $34.99 $21.48 You Save: $13.51 (39%)
06 Mar 12
Instock, ships in 24 hours
Import qty:

jimmcacoe

Auditioning
Real Name
James
I just took another look at the colors. I agree that correct colors in movies is just as important as image sharpness. What I see in this dvd is that in some scenes where the sky looks hazy, it is grey. In some scenes you get blue skies. In some scenes, mixed. I lived on the Monterey/Big Sur coast for several years. The variable look of the skies in the movie seem right to me. I will say, I don't remember what the skies looked like in the original film in the theatre.

jimmcacoe

Auditioning
Real Name
James
Why you would be having trouble playing the dvd I cannot guess. I play mine on both a very high quality Oppo dvd player, and the same dvd plays perfectly on a JVC dvd player more than ten years old.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
It may just be a bum disc. It happens. I can return it but I'm unlikely to repurchase it. I do own the laserdisc, which is the source for some of these DVDs.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Amazon has exclusive a "digitally remastered" ONE EYED JACKS, from TGG Direct, which has been putting out a lot of MGM MOD product lately. It retails for under $10 and is also available for free streaming via Amazon Prime. Anyone have a look?

kingofthejungle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Heath
Looking at the stream on Amazon Prime right now- it's non-anamorphic, faded and interlaced. In other words, it's the same PD garbage that's been around forever.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Has anyone else seen the Centipede Films DVD? can you comment on the transfer?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks