What's new

The Bells of St. Mary's - Olive Films (Nov 2013) (1 Viewer)

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
AQkzxLF.jpg

It's been years since I've seen this film. Can't wait to revisit it!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
dana martin said:
just wish Universal would look at Going My Way as a release as well, this will be in the machine for the holidays
Absolutely. On another note, on the Republic DVD, there is a weird jump during the credits. Does anyone know if that was a DVD specific issue?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yes, I'm satisfied with the disc I have unless the bonuses are out of this world. I've always liked it much better than Going My Way.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I watched the UK Arrow 4K restoration of Bells of St Mary last night and it was revelation! The transfer is perfection. It makes all other blu ray versions obsolete .

Last edited:

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I know the 2013 Blu from Olive wasn’t well reviewed.

This film was just released by Arrow in the UK, but I haven’t seen any reviews of that disc.

I wonder how this disc will compare to the other two

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
The Arrow blu ray is a revelation !!! I watched it last night. Jawdroppingly beautiful. The transfer makes all other incarnations obsolete . It is a must buy!

Reactions: PMF

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I know the 2013 Blu from Olive wasn’t well reviewed.

This film was just released by Arrow in the UK, but I haven’t seen any reviews of that disc.

I wonder how this disc will compare to the other two
The previous 2 look like bad VHS tape. The comparison is astonishing.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I watched the UK 4K restoration of Bells of St Mary last night and it was revelation! The transfer is perfection. It makes all other blu ray versions obsolete .
I got it last week (the Arrow UK), and yes, beautiful to look at, and also resolved enough to revel in all of George Barnes lighting choices, especially the way he lights Ms. Bergman, in the contrast between soft light on her face and slightly harsher, more "realistic" light around her, and also how the way she is lit alters throughout the film to parallel the character arc.

There are now three masterful Blus: REBECCA, FOOTLIGHT PARADE & BELLS OF ST. MARY'S, that document Mr. Barnes' cinematography, but THE BELLS OF ST. MARY'S is my favorite; because it is the most subtle, and also that the themes of the film and the character interactions are reflected in the lighting choices, which is often the case with Leo McCarey.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Sounds great and the price is right.

I'm getting so many imports lately that it's time to look into options to actually play the discs. Some have been region free, but many haven't been.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
The previous 2 look like bad VHS tape. The comparison is astonishing.

I was actually wondering how the newly announced Olive Signature disc might compare to the Arrow disc.

Glad to hear that the Arrow disc is worth a purchase.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I’ll be getting this if the transfer is better than the other Blu. I hope the extras if any are decent. I hope Mr. Harris can review it. But then again I highly regard ALL reviews here (Matt Hough, Et.al).

Is the arrow disc Region free?

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I’ll be getting this if the transfer is better than the other Blu. I hope the extras if any are decent. I hope Mr. Harris can review it. But then again I highly regard ALL reviews here (Matt Hough, Et.al).

Is the arrow disc Region free?
No it is region B

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Olive is releasing a "Signature Edition" on Nov. 26th of "The Bells of St. Mary's" which will probably have the same master as the Arrow, which was provided by Paramount.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks