The back of the Forrest Gump case....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan Peddle, Aug 28, 2001.

1. Ryan Peddle

Ryan Peddle Second Unit

right near the bottom above the Dolby Digital and DVD video insignias there is a little box containin a message to all J6Pers out there.
    "This film is presented in 'widescreen' format. The black bars on the top and bottom of the screen are normal"
    I found this funny. Stores should blow it up to poster size and hand them near the dvd sections.
    ------------------
    Oops, I dropped my eardrums.
    Could you pick them up for me?

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

That was the standard language in the days of LD. Interesting that it's making a comeback.
    M.

3. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    I have a few DVDs that say this on the back. I think they are only Paramount DVDs though.
    -Keith-

4. Ryan Peddle

Ryan Peddle Second Unit

Now that I look through ny DVD collection, all the Paramounts dvds have this...it should be on all dvds.
    ------------------
    Oops, I dropped my eardrums.
    Could you pick them up for me?

5. Antonio_M

Antonio_M Stunt Coordinator

"This film is presented in 'Pan and Scan' format. Everything on the screen is abnormal"

6. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

[​IMG] Antonio made a funny.
    And quite funny it was.
    ------------------
    -Kevin M.
    "Have a good time all the time........that's my philosophy, Marty."

7. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Antonio...ROFL! [​IMG]
    Yeah, I've seen the wording on the Paramount DVD's. I too wish it was adopted by more studios. Especially in place of that horrible "Standard Format" wording they use for Full-Screen junk.
    If we could just get them to label it "OAR" or "MAR", it would be so convenient, wouldn't it? [​IMG]
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    Widescreen is Family Fun!
    [​IMG]

8. William Ward

William Ward Supporting Actor

Unfortunately David, most people won't know what OAR is. Even less will get what MAR is. They might think it's some kind of month abbreviation and go "huh?"...
    I prefer Widescreen: Preserving the Aspect Ratio of it's theatrical exhibition. The black bars on top and bottom are normal.
    Change fullscreen to Altered: This film has been altered from it's original theatrical presentation to fit into regular televisions. This is not the way the film was presented in theaters. You may be missing up to 45% of the actual movie image.
    ------------------
    William
    Go Bucs!!
    MyDVDs

9. ChrisKe

ChrisKe Stunt Coordinator

What is MAR anyway??

10. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

MGM actually does a decent job portraying the differences on the back of their discs with those small pictures of either a widescreen image, standard image, or both when applicable.
    I think if Paramount is going to put such a statement they should also add a line something like "to preserve the original theatrical presentation."
    J
    ------------------
    Don't be a luddy-duddy! Don't be a mooncalf! Don't be a jabbernowl!

11. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

12. William Ward

William Ward Supporting Actor

MAR is a way of saying not widescreen. Basically, it was brought about by the folks complaining when someone called an open matte title "Pan & Scan." Technically the two processes are different. They still reshape the movie from it's theatrical dimensions. It just puts all the P&S, Open Matte, and Super 35 reformatted titles into one bunch that's opposite of OAR. That way you don't have WS vs P&S "but what about open matte??" things going. It makes it simple. One or the other. There isn't any grey area. OAR vs MAR.
    ------------------
    William
    Go Bucs!!
    MyDVDs

13. Shane D

Shane D Supporting Actor

i think one of the best examples of what your getting i've ever seen was on the rob roy dvd, i dont remember if it was inside he package or onthe back, but it had the scene in the beginning where the group of 4 were looking over the hill down on the camp, it had 2 boxes drawn in diff colors to show you exactly what was shown in pan and scan and in widescreen.
    i think every movie that comes out should have that on the back, with a critical scene from the movie that gets butchered by pan and scan.
    ------------------

14. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter