What's new
World Wide Stereo

The B&K 50 it is.... (1 Viewer)

BrianKR

Second Unit
I like to thank the members (especially Chas_T) of this forum for their input and suggestions.

After spending a weekend with the Anthem AV20 and B&K 50 I decided on the 50. They are both fantastic units and I liked them equally, which made the decision very easy for me with the B&K being $500 dollars cheaper.

I ordered a B&K with the silver face plate because the Anthem I borrowed had one and I loved the way it looked! :emoji_thumbsup:

Thx again for the input on here.
This forum is awesome. Now I'm off to the display section to get input on my next wallet breaker, a front projector!

Anyone know a good divorce lawyer, if I don't slow down I am going to need one soon! :b

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Terry.P

Stunt Coordinator
Brian good luck with your ref. 50. I really like mine, especially in Silver. If the gaudy gold embossed B&K logo against a silver faceplate's starts to get your nerves you can carefully remove it and lightly sand off the gold plating with 600 grit sand paper. Here's a picture of mine. Looks much better in person.

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit
Brian, did you get an updated 2.10 software Anthem to play with? That software upgrade is phenominal. How similar is the B&K?

I hope B&K is as commited as Anthem is to providing great updates to your new unit.

What did you have before?

BrianKR

Second Unit
Yes Adam, the Anthem had the 2.10 software.
The Anthem AV20 is a FANTASTIC unit!
I wish I could afford both of them!

I thought the Anthem and B&K were pretty even. Both of them have their strong points.

The 500+ dollars I saved going with the B&K will go a long way towards other components and upgrades I want to do "now". :emoji_thumbsup:

Terry,
that is cruel and unusual punishment!
My 50 wont be here until next Tuesday. :frowning:

Terry.P

Stunt Coordinator
The 500+ dollars I saved going with the B&K will go a long way towards other components and upgrades I want to do "now".
Don't forget the Ref. 50 comes with the SR10.1 aka MX-700 remote which should save you even more $$$ in the long run. In fact, you can start programing your new remote to be on your PC with your current devices now via the s/w downloads on the b&k site in anticipation of it's arrival. That's what I did while I was waiting.

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit
Brian, did you even put your B4+ back into action? Seems like I am giving demo's on a regular basis now days. Lots of people interested in the B4+. I am able to let it "flex" its muscles..... God its fun. :D

BrianKR

Second Unit
Yes, the BEAST is wired and has been in action for the past 2 weeks. The room I just built makes that sub ROAR! The chairs feel like they are going to go right thru the roof when I play bass intensive movies. It doesn't even feel like the same sub now. Or should I say, now I know what I was missing!

Have you ever tried the movie Fast and the Furious and crank it to reference level? It feels like you are actually in the car. My family and friends were totally blown away! I it will sound even better when I hook up my new hardware and calibrate it.

Terry, I downloaded suite from B&K's site a couple nights ago and I have been aquainting myself with it. It's an awesome feature. The B&K remote is absolutely awesome!
I am dying to get mine and program it so I can get rid of my 9 remotes in the room.

Mike Peveler

Stunt Coordinator
congratulations Brian I have been a Reference 50 owner for about a year, hope you enjoy yours as much as I do.

I have a question for other ref 50 owners mine has software version 1.00 my dealer has offered to get me version 1.05 at no charge, what are the differences and is it worth doing.

Terry.P

Stunt Coordinator
Brian,

Go over to remotecentral.com if you haven't done so already. There might be some device templates with discrete codes that are not in the standard MX-700 IR database. You can import a ref. 50 users complete component file or just a individual device. Sometimes programing a remote from scratch with a can be overwhelming. I used to own a pronto and a pronto pro which gave new meaning to "Blank Canvas". PM me, if you would like a copy of my SR10.1 components. My primary components are: Denon DVD-2900, Zenith HD-SAT520, Philips 60" RPTV.

Mike, the last time I checked with B&K they were at 1.04 which is what I am running.

Here are the changes from 1.00 to 1.04 according to Donnie Eldrige here at HTF.

1. Relay switching is much quieter and faster.
2. Menu navigation is faster.
3. THX mode has had a couple of bug fixes.
4. DTS ES DSC or DTS ES MTX now displayed on encoded discs
5. Compatibility fixes with other manufacturers.
6. Corrects input switch issue.
7. Fixes issues with Samsung HD Receivers.
8. SACD/DVD-A bypass digitizes/matrixes back surrounds when listening to multichannel through 7 speakers. The new version parallels the back surrounds with the side surrounds when using 7 speakers so you now have true 7 channel direct.
9. Levels balanced and tweaked on outputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks