What's new

The Abyss: the 20th Anniversary of the classic james cameron film August 9th, 1989 (1 Viewer)

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
In 1989 there were many great films that summer. its my all time favorite summer. unlike this year.. there was good movies and they kept getting better when I saw the next one. I was a fan of cameron because of the terminator film. I had very low expectations for it. I was more excited about the batman film that same summer. However I was most impressed with the abyss. Its my all time favorite movie. this was the 20 anniverary of the theatre version, not the special edition that came later. hopefully others will come and post about their experience about seeing this movie.

Jacob

Big Ben

Agent
Real Name
Benjamin Stahly
I was 11 years old when I saw THE ABYSS in my local theater in Lexington, KY and I was tremendously swept up by it's underwater visuals and it's then-one-of-a-kind CGI effects. The story and characters hooked me in and during the sequence with Bud and the NTI's I wept and awed at the same time. I did'nt get to see the Special Edition until it was released on DVD in 2000, but in my mind both versions are great to watch. Back then, I obviously never realized the determination and effort it took to make such a movie.

I'm rather surprised that being the film's 20th Anniversary and with the upcoming release of Cameron's AVATAR, that THE ABYSS has not been announced on Blu-Ray yet. It seems like the perfect time to release it.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
cameron is busy with the new movie.. he needs to approve the print. hopefully sometime next year we will see the abyss in bluray.

Jacob

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I was 15 at the time. I love this movie and consider it one of the classics. I absolutely hated the Special Editon but it has been a while and people change, don't know how I would react today. I remember watching the original version and love it, never feeling confused or that I'm missing something.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
This movie is easily in my personal top ten list.

Came along at just the right time in my life. Emotionally, visually, everything about it just fell into place for me.

I remember a lot of negative publicity about it, but I didn't care, the film worked for me then and now. Still watch it several times a year.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
The Abyss is a movie that passed me by in theaters. I remember seeing previews. I remember being excited. But I didn't see it until it finally made it's way to VHS. I distinctly recall the scenes between Bud and Lindsay, and how much they stayed with me. I bought the two issue Dark Horse mini-series with art by Mike Kaluta (and concept/production art for the movie in the back sections). I read about the Extended Version and eventually caught bits and pieces on the Sci-Fi network. Finally, in 1996, Fox was premiering their widescreen VHS line and The Abyss: Extended was one of their first films (along with Last of the Mohicans). A year later, when I finally purchased a laserdisc player (Pioneer combo player for DVD and LD in mid-1997), The Abyss:LE was one of my very first purchases (so I could finally see the documentary Under Pressure - still one of the best).

Anyways, I still consider this film Cameron's best script and his most intimate film. The effects and direction were great and all, but the characters make the film really work. Can't wait for this to hit Blu.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Originally Posted by TheBat

cameron is busy with the new movie.. he needs to approve the print. hopefully sometime next year we will see the abyss in bluray.

Jacob
You know, every time the topic comes up about remastering this title Fox always says they are waiting for Cameron to supervise the new transfer. The man had a long break between major projects (12 years if you don't count the documentaries) and he couldn't find a few hours to put his stamp of approval on a new High Def master? For this film or True Lies?

I'm really hoping Fox puts the pressure on him to do so for a tie-in with Avatar - at least for The Abyss since they're thematically similar.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I am just going by what van ling told us in his thread. I wish cameron would okay the transfer so we could have it on bluray or even a better widescreen. I am sure it will be worth the wait.

Jacob

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Funny thing is ... the Abyss we saw in theaters in 1989 looks nothing like the Abyss we see on video today.

Between the theatrical and the first video release, Cameron changed the look of the movie significantly.

It is a far bluer looking beast today than what was shown in the theater.

regards

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
I saw this when it came out and really liked it but I felt it had a rushed ending. I bought the SE on DVD and loved it. I watch it often and it gets better each time. I love the script and the great performances of the ensemle, particluarly Ed Harris. My favorite scene is when they are reviving Lindsey. His performance is absolutely incredible -- one of his all-time best, imo.

I would buy it on BR in a heartbeat.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
I'd buy it too. My dvd doesn't even have an English 5.1 track, just stereo. It's funny, Cameron compared it in the making of to 2001: A Space Odyssey under water, but it has always resembled Close Encounters to me.
And when it gets released, could they please bring Alan Silvestri back to get rid of those horrible synthesizer bits during the extended ending. That just takes me out of the movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks