What's new

Talk me into the Oculus Quest (2 Viewers)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Please let us know what you think! I’m a little bummed to not have the latest and greatest but I think I’m skipping this generation to see how Vision resets the market

Sam,

I'll certainly let you know. I'll start a new thread in gaming for it once I have used it for a week or so.

You know, it's $500. Fairly cheap for a product like this and it will be a holdover until the 2nd - 3rd generation of the Vision arrives on the market.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I'm solely into VR for gaming but I try to avoid products that get frequent refreshes, like the Quest. I have a PSVR2 and pretty much anything in VR that is good enough where I want to try it out is on the PlayStation so I'm happy with it.

That said, I totally see the value in a Quest and I know Facebook has de-coupled the accounts so it's less of a buy into the ecosystem when you get one.

I did buy a set of Xreal glasses a couple months ago, mainly as an accessory for my Steam Deck, and they're shockingly good for what they do. I had a bunch of Amazon gift cards as a bonus from work so I splurged on the Beam adapter, which lets you use pretty much any device on the glasses (whereas the glasses themselves only work out of the box on devices with some USB-C video output). I haven't used them a ton but they're really cool and work great for 3D video. My main interest initially was to emulate 3D games on them which has been hit or miss but still...it does work!

Ron - for your use case, the Xreal glasses are pretty solid as virtual monitors. Also, I got prescription lens inserts for my PSVR2 and the Xreal through HonsVR.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I'm solely into VR for gaming but I try to avoid products that get frequent refreshes, like the Quest. I have a PSVR2 and pretty much anything in VR that is good enough where I want to try it out is on the PlayStation so I'm happy with it.

That said, I totally see the value in a Quest and I know Facebook has de-coupled the accounts so it's less of a buy into the ecosystem when you get one.

I did buy a set of Xreal glasses a couple months ago, mainly as an accessory for my Steam Deck, and they're shockingly good for what they do. I had a bunch of Amazon gift cards as a bonus from work so I splurged on the Beam adapter, which lets you use pretty much any device on the glasses (whereas the glasses themselves only work out of the box on devices with some USB-C video output). I haven't used them a ton but they're really cool and work great for 3D video. My main interest initially was to emulate 3D games on them which has been hit or miss but still...it does work!

Ron - for your use case, the Xreal glasses are pretty solid as virtual monitors. Also, I got prescription lens inserts for my PSVR2 and the Xreal through HonsVR.

Hi Morgan!

Happy New Year!

I don't know if I have the same VR system as you do. I have the PlayStation 4 and the VR system that goes with it. Haven't played with it in at least 3-4 years. Is that what you have? Is it still relevant?

It's a good VR system but it does suffer from a lower resolution and screen door effect.

That is why I invested in Quest 3 after being extremely impressed while playing with my nephew's headset.

I am not worried about refreshes as I think it will be another two years until the next one -and- I consider this a short-term gap until Apple's Vision Pro Gen 2 or 3 becomes available at a cheaper price.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I have the PS5 with PSVR2. It's a big upgrade and probably one of the best overall experiences in VR that you can get for home, but it does require a PS5 ($400-500) and the PSVR2 ($500) so its a big investment. And unfortunately you can't play PSVR1 games unless they offer upgrades to the VR2. The resolution and SDE are significantly better from the VR1.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks