What's new

SyFy's Alphas (1 Viewer)

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
This Monday's episode was really good. We now understand the "you are on the wrong side" comment from the first episode.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This show is a really slow burn, but it does things differently enough to keep me turning in. Anna has to be one of the most unique "villains" to ever grace television. The build-up with her character was brilliant.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt
This show is a really slow burn, but it does things differently enough to keep me turning in. Anna has to be one of the most unique "villains" to ever grace television. The build-up with her character was brilliant.
Agreed about Anna. I didn't see that coming. I have watched every episode so far and there is something about the show I don't like. I can't put my finger on it yet. I guess I'll keep watching until I do .

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Adam Lenhardt said:
She was great. I don't know when we'll see it, but I wouldn't be surprised if at one point we see Rosen's group of Alphas working with Anna's - either on a one-shot occasion or perhaps even on a continuing basis.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
Apparently they're going to do a slight crossover and have a (minor) Warehouse 13 character on this. I like that show, but that'll bother me just as much as the Eureka-Warehouse 13 crossover because these shows shouldn't be in the same universe.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Joe_H said:
Apparently they're going to do a slight crossover and have a (minor) Warehouse 13 character on this. I like that show, but that'll bother me just as much as the Eureka-Warehouse 13 crossover because these shows shouldn't be in the same universe.
We saw that in the preview for this upcoming Monday's episode.
There will be another Eureka character appearance in Warehouse 13 this year. Those two universes look more suitable for crossing over than Alpha does with either of them. I just can't see alphas (or really the government problems with them and vice versa) in the Warehouse 13 (or Eureka) universe.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
The crossover this week was quite understated. If you didn't already watch Warehouse 13 you wouldn't have known the character came from that show. We saw her with the purple gloves in her first appearance and then knowing about government secrets later. Otherwise, she's just a doctor from the CDC.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
NeilO said:
The crossover this week was quite understated. If you didn't already watch Warehouse 13 you wouldn't have known the character came from that show. We saw her with the purple gloves in her first appearance and then knowing about government secrets later. Otherwise, she's just a doctor from the CDC.
It was, and it was a decent episode, I just still don't like the idea that any of these shows exist in the same universe. If anything, this and Eureka (both loosely based on actual science) would make sense as a crossover, but when you add the more paranormal Warehouse 13 into the mix, it just seems dumb.
Anyway, this show is okay, but I wouldn't be disappointed if I never saw another episode again either. If it wasn't the summer, I doubt I'd be watching it though.

Virgoan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron Pulliam
Why can't the paranormal mix with "actual science"? Who draws the line that says one doesn't mesh with the other? I
I love all three shows -- plus "Haven" -- and wouldn't mind crossovers among them all.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Joe_H said:
Anyway, this show is okay, but I wouldn't be disappointed if I never saw another episode again either. If it wasn't the summer, I doubt I'd be watching it though.
This sums up my position on the show exactly.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
Virgoan said:
Why can't the paranormal mix with "actual science"? Who draws the line that says one doesn't mesh with the other? I
I love all three shows -- plus "Haven" -- and wouldn't mind crossovers among them all.
Because when you have a show that there's always a (sort of) science-based explanation such as Eureka, and then introduce the idea that in this same universe, things can happen because a mystical artifact is doing it, you're sort of undermining the core concept a little.
Same in this show. By combining the the two, you introduce the idea that it isn't an Alpha causing whenever weird stuff is happening. It could be some object magically making it happen. That's not what the show is, but by saying the shows are in the same universe it automatically enters into the realm of possibility.
I realize it's just a TV show, but when you base the entire show on a certain logic and then ruin that logic just for a crossover, it doesn't really make sense to me. I like Eureka, like Warehouse 13, and already stated my feels on this show, but I still like to think of them as separate. Maybe that's too much thought put into a bunch of fun summer shows, but it's just how my mind thinks of it.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed last night's episode. They're doing a good job of developing these people as people first and powers second. Except for pin-point accuracy man and the pusher, I remember all of the main characters' names -- which is remarkable for me this early into a series.

Virgoan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron Pulliam
I have no problems mixing religion with science, so having crossovers between the mystical and science-based doesn't bother me.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm becoming more invested every week. I love that each alpha of the week challenges the whole team -- Rosen included -- on a personal level. All of the characters have evolved since the pilot, and none of them are stupid for the plot's sake. I love the direction they seem to be headed in, evolving the team from a government unit on a tight leash to a sort of renegade X-Men, with Rosen as a non-mutant Professor X.
Even though the scenes between Bill and his wife at the beginning always tie in thematically with the main story of the episode, I was still blind sided by the reveal that Summer Glau's character was a mom. With the whole series about the Alphas as pawns on a very large chessboard, it was nice to see a reveal that was counter to that -- a mother trying to protect her daughter, by any means necessary. I would also LOVE a spin-off with Glau's Über-MacGyver and her math genius daughter on the run, caught between the alphabet soup government agencies on one side and nasty mercenaries/terrorists on the other.
Even though Gary is TV/"Rain Man" autistic instead of anything in the realm of realistic autistic, they established the boundaries of his character early on and have been consistent with them. He had the potential to get very annoying very fast, but they walk the line well by keeping his schtick from getting too broad.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Yes, it was another good episode and I had absolutely no suspicion who Z was until the reveal. I was thinking that she might have some Red Flag connection, but that was another red herring. They did leave the door wide open for her return in a future episode when they will really need her. I'm looking forward to that.

Eric F

Screenwriter
This show reminds me so much of X-Men/Mutant-X.
Dr. Rosen's Group= X-men
Red Hand (is that it?)= Brotherhood of Mutants
Dr. Rosen= Charles Xavier
Mute Girl= Magneto
I like the show just fine, just that it's nothing new. I like Eureka better, too bad SyFy cancelled it.:(

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It's definitely the X-Men, without all of the Marvel Universe baggage. That being said, I find that the characterization is richer and deeper here than we've gotten from any of the on-screen X-Men adaptations.
David Strathairn is one of the greatest actors alive today, and he makes really interesting choices as Rosen. He's both warmer and less intimidating than Professor X. Seeing him grow closer and closer to his team while the government tries to pull them in a very undesirable direction is fascinating.
Brent Spiner's character was fun. He reminded me a bit of his Area 51 character from Independence Day. I liked how they were setting him up to be basically the Magneto to Strathairn's Professor X, which made it a bit more shocking when Rebecca Mader's character killed him.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
This show started off kind of slow, but as it has gone on it has really developed something pretty interesting. It actually makes me sad for something like "Heroes" If "Heroes" had the kind of writing that's in this show with that budget, ah..

But I really like the core concept a good deal and the actors are managing to really fit into their roles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks