What's new

SVS sub flaws, not one, but two!.. (1 Viewer)

AVspec

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
Ok, with all the hype on this wonderful HTF forum I thought I would shed some light on some flaws that I found during my recent full review of the SVS subs that I am doing for my web site over the past few weeks of demo-ing.
First, they smell!!!!.... Yep! You heard me!... I get this new sub smell whenever I enter my HT room that was not there before I added the twin SVS 20-39CS subs!!!
Now I am not saying it is a bad smell, I am just saying that they have a smell, and that some may or may not like that smell!
Second, they walk!!!! Yep!!!... I thought it hard to believe myself, but after watching the DTS demo #4 DVD including the Haunting piece, my subs had actually moved a few inches from were I placed them!!!!
So as you can see we have a few flaws here which I have taken the time to email Ron and Tom personally, and hope to get a resolution to the flaws soon!
A few of my suggestions that I included with my email to them were:
For problem #1: Include a bag of microwave butter popcorn in the shipping box with the subs. This should add a very pleasing aroma to the subs and HT room. (plus you get to eat some buttered popcorn during demo-ing of the subs!)
For problem #2: Include a .22 caliber nail gun in the shipping box with the subs to nail the sub to the floor whether it be concrete or wood or any type of floor. This would stop the sub from moving from the location that you place them.
I am quite surprised no one else has mentioned these flaws as of yet but felt it my duty to bring to all of my fellow HTF friends!
At this time I am not going to start any type of petitions to get these to flaws resolved as I am sure that Ron and Tom will be getting back to me real soon with some great suggestions!
Hope everyone has a GREAT weekend!!!
wink.gif

------------------
-Mark
**** Digital Vortex ****
The Digital Electronic Site
www.digitalvortex.com

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
Interesting, they did have a new sub smell for a little while. No longer.
Mine don't walk, probably because I don't yet give enough power. I think he wants to go walkies though - I just can't let it.
frown.gif

------------------
Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!

Darrel McBane

Second Unit
I didn't know clean bass had a smell?!
I place a single layer tissue on top of my 20-39. It seems to keep mine in place just fine. :)
------------------

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
------------------
RobertDuvall.jpg
"I Love The Smell Of SVS In The Morning!"
[Edited last by Henry Carmona on August 10, 2001 at 11:08 PM]

J

John Morris

You know, I too thought that my new SVS Ultra had a real nasty smell when I first tested it. But then, I noticed that the smell was coming from my neighbor who had come over to hear my demo of TS2 on my new kick ass sub. Turns out, the force from the Ultra just made him sh*t his pants....
biggrin.gif

------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
DFAST, 5C, DVI, HDCP, SafeAudio, Macrovision and Lewinski!!!

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Can't comment on the smell, but if your subs walk around you need to place some feet under them that will keep them from doing that. Seriously. :)
If your subs walk around on your hard floor, they are probably resonating/rattling against it too as they do.
See about finding some thick, soft rubber feet. I would have suggested something like the swedish Sonic Designs soft feet but I don't think they ship to the US.
Nailing them to the floor will only make the entire floor rattle and make noise, not a good idea IMHO.
------------------
/Kimmo
[Edited last by Kimmo Jaskari on August 11, 2001 at 05:00 AM]

AVspec

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
So that I do not get Ron and Tom upset with me...
My post, as most of you know is with tongue in cheek and I am sure by the replies that you are all getting that!
wink.gif

I also love the smell of my subs when I enter my HT!
As for them "walking" it only has happened once so far and that was when I was really watching the DTS DVD demo #4 DVD at reference levels (maybe even a tad higher
wink.gif
)! It was during this demo that I new these were the subs for me as I was actually slapped in the side of my face by a wall of air!!!! Scared the crap out of me as I never felt air movement like that before (and it was during the Haunting scene!). Guess that’s what I get for placing them in the right rear corner very close to my sweet spot!
wink.gif

Anyway I hope Ron and Tom (and the rest of the HTF community) are not taking this post seriously as it is all in tongue in cheek and believe me…..
I LOVE MY TWIN SVS SUBS!!! They are truly FLAWLESS!!!!
------------------
-Mark
**** Digital Vortex ****
The Digital Electronic Site
www.digitalvortex.com

Joe Cole

Second Unit
Mark:
My twin 16-46cs subs walked also. And quite a bit. I have 40 year old wood floors so I had to put the subs on a couple of round garden type stones. This 'cured' the problem except for really loud passages and then they still try to dance. And I have them set up mildly.
wink.gif

These subs are so good that I hear low end stuff that I did not hear before from the strangest places, like local news and ESPN. Even with my Velodyne I did not hear bass this low. When I first heard the bass comign from the local evening news I was quite startled. maybe they don't know they are putting out such low noise. They some SVs in their control room.
------------------
Joe C.
quote: Who's scruffy looking?
My biscuits are a burnin.
[Edited last by Joe Cole on August 11, 2001 at 02:22 PM]

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
Joe
I noticed the same thing with my 20-39s. I was watching Bob Villas Home Again and suddenly I was hearing this deep bass in the intro to the show. It kinda caught me off guard.
Gotta love that
Earle

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
OK so the "new sub smell" thing was a joke right?
We are using some very high-end materials we've upgraded to recently (1.5" Birch, hand color laminate endcaps, and specially drawn/cut tubing made just for us) but having pulled more than one out of box it just smells like new equipment to me. Every time I get in my (wife's) new Buick it still smells new and this somehow makes the monthly payments a bit less painfull ;^)
On the more serious note of the sub shifting on slick floors, we recommend using soft rubber "dots" or the tapered adhesive squares you can get in any hardware store. Put one equi-distant between each of the OEM foam disks we use. This will almost certainly solve the issue for those few folks that experience it. The sub's baseplate will ride up a bit higher, but the greater "stick" of the rubber squares should do the trick.
Ron

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
My sub does not walk at all. It hops! I can't keep the damn thing down. And this is with watching the new Headline News/AOL/Time Warner channel. They had to have pumped up the bass level in the mix. And the weather channel. Oh my GOD! Everytime the local area forecast tune for the day comes on my CS Ultra has just flattened out something in the living room. At first I thought it was my daughter pulling things over on top of my stuff while I was at work. But I caught the sub in action one night while watching The Matrix. It couldn't help itself. The other day it squashed my dog's foot and he has since stopped licking the sub. (I guess he thought the new sub tasted good too! Thank God I don't have a cat! The furballs would be terrible.).
I never thought that I would have to chain one of my speakers down. Ah! Modern electronics. Got to love them.
Parker

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks