What's new

Surround sound a must for gamers. Post your set-up. (1 Viewer)

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor
I was reading the latest installment of gamespotting and read Jeff Gertsman's thoughts on surround sounds setups. He says, and I quote
http://gamespot.com/gamespot/feature.../102702/3.html
I'm not 100-percent sold on the concept of surround sound
I was surprised that a serious gamer would not be 100% sold on surround sound. Granted there are not to many games that take full advantage of it. There are a good solid number of games that sound pretty damn good in surround compared to just regular TV speakers.NHL 2002 (PS2) sounds great in DTS,and many other games I could not live without in surround sound.
With that said what are you gaming on?
Me im running the following for my home theater and gaming setup
Proscan 32inch T.V.
Onkyo 575 Digital receiver.
4=Polk Audio RT55's.(Front and rear)
JBL SCS center speaker.(havent got my Polk center yet)
Monster Cable running everywhere.(my wife loves that)
XBOX (digital)
GameCube (Prologic :frowning: )
PS2 (digital)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
He may say that surround sound is not that important in games, but let's see what happens when we try to take his system away from him. I'm pretty sure he appreciates what it adds to the gaming experience even if he doesn't admit it. And while we're at it, could someone please stop over at this guy's house and calibrate his system for him? It pains me to think that he has his little subwoofer cranked up all the way
In the interest of bragging, here's the home theater on which I'm running my consoles (GCN and Xbox):
  • Toshiba 42H81 16:9 RPTV
  • Diva by Swans 4.1 floor-standing speakers in the mains
  • Diva by Swans C3 center channel speaker
  • Diva by Swans 2.1 bookshelf speakers in the surround channels
  • SVS 16-46PC (with Improved Standard Driver upgrade)
  • Rotel RSP 1066 preamplifier-processor
  • Outlaw 750 amplifier
  • Outlaw ICBM (controlling all bass management functions within the system)
I must say, it's not a bad little set-up. :)

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
And while we're at it, could someone please stop over at this guy's house and calibrate his system for him? It pains me to think that he has his little subwoofer cranked up all the way
Again you should had seens last weeks Gamespotting Live where they showed this guys "setup". The surrounds placement alone made the HT nut in me want to ram my head through the computer screen:D.
Setup:
Toshiba 42H81 (soon to be ISF calibrated in December)
Atlantic Technology System 270 (Full Speaker set and subwoofer, will be selling soon)
Also have a set of Infinity RS5's from a bit back in the day. I can't quite part with them cause I love how they sound.
Sony DVPNS715P Progressive Scan DVD Player (Pro-Scan non-prog-scan player is my backup)
Onkyo TSXR600 (Soon to arrive:D), getting rid of my older Denon in the next month.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Romier,
I saw that, I almost vomitted. :)
My HT/Gaming setup:
Toshiba 50h82
Harman/Kardon 520
Klipsch RF-3 (fronts)
Klipsch RC-3 (center)
Klipsch RB-3 (surrounds)
SVS 20-39cs
PS2, X-Box, Gamecube
Panasonic CP-72
-Dean-

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
i dont think surround sound is really necessary. the only genre that needs it is fps, other than that, i can play with no surround sound without missing anything. my question is always : does it add to the gameplay? if not, i dont care.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
I just read the editorial myself, and Jeff seems to contradict himself. First, he says that with his new surround system he can now "feel" the grenades going off. Then he says it also gives him a tactical advantage in that he can now hear someone sneaking up behind him and spin around to take them out (this is all in SOCOM, btw). But then he goes on to say that surround sound is a gimmick and he doesn't think it's an integral part of the game yet. Those two sentiments just aren't consistent! It seems to me that being able to "feel" explosions and the ability to pinpoint an action by audible clues are exactly the reasons that surround sound makes a game experience more immersive. And yet he seems to be saying that besides those two things, surround is a gimmick. Okay, then besides being able to play games on it, the PS2 is a gimmick as well.

Then again, he repeatedly makes the point that "Cobra" is the greatest movie of all time. So his judgment is already suspect, in my book...

Oh, and my rig:

Pinoeer Pro610HD
Mirage OM-7 fronts, OM-C2 center, OM-9 rears, OM-R2 rear surrounds
B&K Ref 30 pre
B&K Ref 7270 amp
Twin SVS 20-39cs subs

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
i read it afew secs ago. i agree with him. he can understand why louder is better, but surround sound is gimmicky. you dont need rear left and right surround speakers to get a decent bass, do you? all you need is a subwoofer.

besides, like i have said, 5.1 surround sound is really good for fps. maybe also for racing games. more than that, no. i dont think surround setup is "ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY". example, game like metalgear. you see your character from ABOVE. what do you expect your surround sound setup do for you when there is an enemy sneaking up from behind snake? put a footstep sound on the rear speakers?

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
No, I don't think anyone is saying surround is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY, but it's certainly not a gimmick, either. Isn't there some middle ground between the two? A good surround system can pull you in and engross you in a game, it isn't all pinpoint gunshots or pursuing cars. Simple things like wind swirling in the background or rain falling all around you lend subtle but effective realism to a game. Sudden jolts of music in all channels when the action on the screen heats up can get your heart pumping far more than just the tinny music over your TV's speakers.

That's my big problem with his article--he seems to say that because surround sound isn't revolutionary and necessary, it is a gimmick. The truth (as I see it) is that it lies somewhere in the middle. No game will be rendered unplayable without it, but it can certainly enhance a gaming experience quite a bit when properly implemented. It is most certainly NOT a "gimmick" when done right, no matter what the style of game.

Dave_Olds

Stunt Coordinator
My HT/Gaming Setup

Panny AE100 w/ 46" x 84" Screen
XBOX
Onkyo 787
Paradigm Fronts (Monitor 7's)
Paradigm Center (CC350)
Axiom QS4 Surrounds
Axiom MTi2 rears
Velodyne CHT10 Subwoofer

A very modest yet, immersive system.....minimal investment.

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
In my opinion, in-game directional Surround sound is my most favorite thing about Halo. Followed closely by the awesome story, gameplay and graphics, of course.

My setup:
Onkyo TX-DS898 7-Channel receiver (THX EX & DTS-ES capable)
JBL N-Center
JBL N-26 Front
Old Kenwood HTiB Fronts for L & R Surround
Old Kenwood HTiB Surrounds for Back Surrounds
JBL PB12 250W Subwoofer
Sony WEGA XBR-450 36 HD-Ready TV (480p and 1080i only, though - no 720p conversion)

I have my XBOX connected via Component video (through my receiver and out to my TV), and my PS2 and Gamecube connected via S-Video (also through the receiver). My PS2 audio is connected through the optical connection.

Equipment is calibrated with AVIA Guide to Home Theater. I hope to get my TV calibrated by an ISF technician this Christmas.

Someday I hope to replace my Surrounds with JBL's, but they work too well to justify the expense.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
No, I don't think anyone is saying surround is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY, but it's certainly not a gimmick, either. Isn't there some middle ground between the two? A good surround system can pull you in and engross you in a game, it isn't all pinpoint gunshots or pursuing cars. Simple things like wind swirling in the background or rain falling all around you lend subtle but effective realism to a game. Sudden jolts of music in all channels when the action on the screen heats up can get your heart pumping far more than just the tinny music over your TV's speakers.

That's my big problem with his article--he seems to say that because surround sound isn't revolutionary and necessary, it is a gimmick. The truth (as I see it) is that it lies somewhere in the middle. No game will be rendered unplayable without it, but it can certainly enhance a gaming experience quite a bit when properly implemented. It is most certainly NOT a "gimmick" when done right, no matter what the style of game.
Fantastic. Very well said and my exact sentiments. Go Dave!

Camp

Senior HTF Member
That Gamespot reviewer is an idiot! It's as simple as that.

The first time I played Halo I heard something coming from the back left of my room. The effect was so real I physically turned around to see what it was. Only when the Covenant soldier behind me started attacking did I realize the sounds were in the game!

Even a technical tour de force like Halo could have utilized 5.1 in a better way. While this example was stunning (to me) it was a rare occurance in Halo. Game developers are still making games for the lowest common denominator. HD support and 5.1 support will continue to be fairly week through this generation. I suspect the next gen systems will actually display some developmental creativity in these areas.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
I've only just noticed the DPL2 option in Mario Sunshine - have I missed anything so far without it, that I should know about?

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
27" Wega Generation 2
Toshiba 4700 DVD-V/A player
Klipsch SF-1
Klipsch SC-1
Klipsch SB-1
Pioneer VSX 710s
Xbox
PS2
GameCube
DC

PS- where are these pics of the horrible setup

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor
The first time I played Halo I heard something coming from the back left of my room. The effect was so real I physically turned around to see what it was. Only when the Covenant soldier behind me started attacking did I realize the sounds were in the game!
That reason alone is why surround sound is so kick a$$.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
The surround sound adds to the whole gaming experience for me and is one of the reasons that I enjoy playing video games as opposed to PC Games. Sure I could have a surround sound setup on my computer too but I just don't have the same quality of equipment in my office where my PC is.

My setup:

Mitsubishi Diamond 65" widescreen HDTV WS-65907
Denon AVR4800
B&W DM604 (fronts)
B&W LCR6 (center)
Klipsch S5 (surrounds)
B&W Subwoofer (can't remember the model #)
XBox
PS2
Dreamcast

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
from the article: Standing near a waterfall in a first-person shooter and then spinning around quickly to show off how the sound of the water tracks from one speaker to the next is hardly exciting.
That's right. In the real world if I'm standing in front of a waterfall and I spin the sound of it stays right in front of me at all times. :rolleyes:
Surrounds completely immerse you in the game environment. Sometimes it may be gimmicky but if done right it can blow you away.
In racing games, if a car is coming up from behind you it is incredibly useful to hear it and even more useful to hear the driver try to pass on the left then reattempt on the right all just from sound. FPS games have already been discussed but also very cool to hear where a guy is coming from. It is even cooler to just hear ambient noise like wind or leaves rustling. This all just adds to the enviroment.
A recent game that I've been playing that uses DD5.1 to its fullest is Whacked!. Simple stuff like having the audience clapping and chearing behind you while you are in the contestant's row really put you into the game. The actual action parts of the game are also very active in the full spectrum of your setup.
Surrounds in games a must? IMHO YES!
Setup:
NEC LT150 fp 110" (16x9)
Pioneer DSX-850s
Mains: Klipsch RP3's
Center: Klipsch RC-3II
Surrounds: Wharfedale Valdus 200
Rear Center: Mission 77c
KLH sub and bass shakers on the couch.
calibrated with Video Essentials using a sound level meter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunday Billy
Recent bookmarks