What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Suncoast new release prices too high? (1 Viewer)

Eric Brunton

Agent
I wanted to throw this out for comments. I regularly visit suncoast in my town to check out the new releases. I am always discouraged by the prices that they set their new releases at. I was going to buy the firefly series box set but I was shocked to see the series listed at forty dollars. I went to Costco down the street and purchased it for almost ten dollars less. Now I know that you need to become a member at costco to shop there and pay the annual membership fee, but i have seen other stores sell new releases less than Suncoast's sale price. Another problem I have with Suncoast is how much their TV box sets are. Who in their right mind would pay 130 to 140 dollars for a Star Trek DS9 season set? I know that upon their release, the box sets go for 99 dollars at suncoast, but what about those people that were a little late in the game collecting a certain series such as STDS9 as myself and don't want to pay the $130? I hope i'm not opening up a can of worms, but i wanted to know how everyone else felt about Suncoast's pricing.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Scott Ware

Stunt Coordinator
Suncoasts are typically found in malls, where prices are almost always higher than stores that aren't mall-based. Also, places that typically sell DVDs for way below MSRP (Best Buy, Circuit City, Walmart) rely on other products for profit. Suncoast relies soley on DVD sales for profit, whereas Best Buy relies on DVD players and other pieces of hardware for profit. The DVDs are priced the way they are at Best Buy in order to get people in the door.

If you're looking for good deals, you can occasionaly find them at Suncoast, but otherwise, stay away from the mall.

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
Suncoast is a joke. No place has worse prices. In my experience, the worst are:

Suncoast
Sam Goody
Barnes & Noble
Blockbuster/Hollywood (new DVD prices -- can still find great deals on used)

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
I used to use Suncoast many about 10 years ago for VHS tapes before the internet and when it was very difficult to find movies.

Now with DVD, the internet, and so many stores that carry the titles I am looking for, I no longer see any reason to purchase from Suncoast.

Only thing I have bought from Suncoast is collectible items they sell.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

I believe Sam Goody owns Suncoast so that explains that. I don't see how these places make money where there a plently of stores that sell DVDs for a significantly lower price

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
The only way to purchase from Suncoast (and Sam Goody) is to "play their game."

You have to:

1. Purchase a REPLAY card.
2. Pre-order everything you want for the best prices. (You will also simultaneously accumulate points on your REPLAY card.)
3. Purchase in-stock items *only* on "REPLAY Triple Point Weekends."

For example, let's say you want that ST:TNG Season 6 box that you missed out on the first time around. Currently, the price is say, $149.95. Purchase it on a Triple Replay day and you get replay points for the equivalent of a $450.00 purchase.

The nice thing about the REPLAY coupons that you will receive back in the mail is that they can be used just like money at Suncoast and Sam Goody.

Let's say that they have "Star Trek:Nemesis" on sale for $14.95. If you try to use a regular coupon on that title, they'll tell you that you can't because the title is already on sale. However, they *will* accept the REPLAY coupons. If you have a $10.00 REPLAY Coupon, the title will only cost you $4.95!

I've checked on this. I've been a REPLAY member for about 3 years and have compared the overall price that I pay at Suncoast with Best Buy and have found the prices to be about same. (Or in some cases better. For example, I got "The Lord of the Rings:TT four-disc Extended Edition" for just $19.99 at Suncoast (via a pre-order) AND got 3000 bonus Replay points to boot!)

You just have to "Play their game".

Jim*F

Stunt Coordinator
With my nearby Best Buy, Amazon US & UK, and BN.com I find great deals on any CD & DVD I want, and without having to buy memberships, get member cards, etc. Back in the early 1990's, I remember making my weekly trek to Sam Goody after school on Friday for the latest singles and albums (before internet and places like Best Buy existed), while now I refuse to pay $18.99 for a CD that I can buy at Best Buy for $11.99 or $12.99.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
JODEph if you buy the same season 6 somewere else for $99 and the same nemisis somewere else for $20, that is only $120 not the $155 you payed while "playing their game".

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Tony:

I was just throwing out "hypothetical situations".

The pre-order price on the ST:TNG boxes were $89.95 last year (same prices as this year's DS9 boxes). They typically go up to around $127-$145 the next week.

I was simply stating that *if* you missed out on the pre-order prices the "Triple Play Replay Card" days help to somewhat mediate the higher prices.

In actual point of fact, I, of course, pre-ordered both those titles.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
As with most mall stores, you're paying for convenience. It's not the lowest price, but you can do it while doing your other shopping. Also, until the "e-tail" boom, Suncoast was one of the few places you could go in and browse for catalog, foreign, cult, or otherwise less-popular movies, though more and more mainstream retailers such as Best Buy have better selection.

As to how they make money... Well, they're not right now. Suncoast/Sam Goody has shut down a lot of stores over the past few years and given over more space to things which aren't being sold as loss-leaders at other stores - manga at Suncoast, video games at Goody, action figures at both. Not sure how that's working out for them.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Since when was a trip to the mall convenient? :)
You do have a point about Suncoast being valuable years ago before the DVD explosion and the internet

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Hey, it's more convenient for me than trying to get to the UPS delivery office because my Amazon order never comes when I'm home. Or if you're a teenager who doesn't have a credit card. Or if you need new clothes and want to browse.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
FYE at the malls have the worst prices on most releases.

However, every once in a while they surprise you with a title or two.

William Waits

Stunt Coordinator

Maybe so, but the reason why I stay FAR away from them is because I don't like having to "play games" in order to get a DVD at a moderate price. Also, you may be playing their game to get prices "about" what Best Buy is, but the effort involved and the loss of time watching the product (i.e. waiting for triple bonus weekends) is not worth it to me. If in the final analysis, it is "about the same", then I go to the place that doesn't make me jump through hoops to get it (and pay a yearly fee to boot!). DVDs are to me considered a commodity product, and I will go to whoever has the cheapest price at the moment I decide to buy. I don't have to have it in hand the instant that I decide to purchase (i.e. walk into a store and buy it), but I know that it is on its way. All I need is competency in getting my item to me in a timely fashion, and competency in dealing with damaged products and in a timely fashion as well (as I have never returned a DVD because I when I buy, I KNOW I want it... otherwise, I simply sell it on ebay...). Other than than, my requirements from the seller are minimal.

But, as long as one feels like it is for them, I won't discourage you...

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Hey, I only started playing their game because I got a free Excel Saga shirt for signing up. :)

They do have occasional good deals, and I mostly buy stuff that is on sale on triple points weekends. To be honest, the mass majority I buy is online anyways.

But, since you mentioned Best Buy, it is starting to become a bad deal to buy anime there, since they are going pretty close to MSRP nowadays.

Jason

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Generally, I just buy from Amazon.com or a similar online retailer, whoever has the best price at the time. I order from a small number of places that has always been reliable. The Best Buys and other huge stores are always out of my way, and the local stores (FYE, Blockbuster, etc) charge ridiculously high prices.

Though I like the *idea* of having something as soon as it comes out, I can't remember the last time I actually had the time to open up a brand new DVD on a Tuesday and watch it all the way through. I'm backlogged anyway - so if I can save a few bucks by waiting a few extra days for Amazon's free shipping to arrive, that's what I'll do.

In browsing a couple stores yesterday to do some last minute shopping, I was reminded how much I've saved for being patient. I'm seeing DVDs I bought at Amazon or Deep Discount DVD (without any coupons, though with free shipping and no tax), that were anywhere from 25% to 50% in stores. Is it really worth paying $60 to get the same West Wing box set in a store that I got from Amazon for $35? To me it's not.

Mike<R

Agent
Of couse if Sam Goody is the ONLY game in town then you have no choice, unless you want to drive 60+ miles to Best Buy. I hate sam goodys' prices but I just don't have the time to always drive to best buy( I wish this town would get one though!)

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
Does anyone find the salespeople at Suncoast to be exceedingly pushy in "offering" you their supposedly fantastic deals?

I used to be a replay club member but let the membership expire for a few reasons. First, like everybody else here, I got sick of jumping through hoops to get a price that even came close to Best Buy's off-the-shelf prices. Secondly, I discovered on-line retailers had better pricing than BOTH these places. And third, and perhaps most importantly, I became disgruntled with the kinds of people this particular store constantly hired.

I hadn't been in a Suncoast for nearly a year and a half when I popped back into this same store back in the summer and discovered absolutely NOTHING had changed.

From the moment I walked through the gates, they were on me. Not just one, but two salesthingies approached me, then awkwardly attempted to engage in witty repartee with each other to account for the gaffe, then BOTH handed me the “latest issue of their sales circular,” before attempting more forced jocularity in a attempt to laugh off the fact that they had just BOTH said virtually the same thing to me.

Then we went through the usual dog and pony show that made me dump Suncoast in the first place:

“Any thing you’re looking for in particular?”

“No. just browsing.”

“Anything I could help you find?”

“No. I’m just seeing what’s new.”

“Might I recommend a couple of titles?”

“No. I kinda know what I’m after.”

“Perhaps I could help you locate a copy. We’ve got over 50,000 titles in stock.”

“No. I’m just browsing. But thanks.”

“Are you a member of our replay club?”

“Used to be.” (Big mistake on my part)

“Used to be? You mean you’re not anymore? How come? I mean we’ve got even better deals than we used - - “

“Your prices were always about five dollars too high. I got tired of beggin’ you to match Best Buy”

“Well, now we’ve got triple point weekends and extra points for signing up and even more points if you don’t punch us out for annoying you, and I’ll personally give you extra points if you can indulge me in social interaction, which is difficult for me on the best of days...” (okay, I’m embellishing here, but still...)

“Well, let me browse for awhile and maybe I’ll think about it. I don’t really have a lot of money on me this weekend.” (I had tonnes, actually, and I spent it all at Best Buy)

“Alrighty then. Is there a title in particular you’re after?”

Weren’t we here already?, I thought.

“No. Just gonna look around for a few minutes.”

“Are you a fan of action movies?”

“I like a little bit of everything, but I’m just gonna snoop around for awhile. I’ll let you know if I need anything?”

“Alrighty then (TWICE for heaven’s sake!!). My name’s Whatever and do not hesitate to yell if you need anything at all.”

“Will do.”

Sometimes, my ability to contain rage actually shocks me.

Of course, within about two minutes, probably less, the OTHER guy comes up and starts doing the same thing! I kid you not! Only HE talks like Agent Smith in the Matrix movies for the duration. All I could do was answer in a tired, dead voice and shoot him a irritated look, but it bought me some silence.

Funnier still, I find out a couple months later that some dude in this store was slavishly hitting on my girlfriend when she went in to do a little browsing. Of course, it was this pony-tailed Matrix turkey, and she played himlike a chump.

See, she’s Asian, she’s quite attractive, and was looking at anime, which is probably a rare sight for these folks to see, so he immediately comes to her rescue, helpfully pointing out titles, quizzing her about what she’s seen and dropping little “thank-you’s” and “I’m sorry’s” and “forgive me’s” in Japanese as he coyly fumbles with the product, all in a rather greasy effort to impress her.

My girlfriend is Korean. English is her first, and for the most part only, language.

I had to laugh when she told me this later. She laughed too.

She wisely didn’t bring up their gross pricing on anime DVD’s, which she did feel they were far too expensive. Otherwise, this weenie might have followed her home trying to indoctrinate her into the Suncoast Way of Being.

We were both in this same mall a few days ago and, while waiting for my gal to finish up a little Christmas shopping, I decided to kill time in Suncoast. I actually bought a $5.99 cheapie Alpha title and got harangued about the expiration of my Replay membership ad nauseum by this strange chick at the counter. Within seconds, another guy, who remembered me from the days I actually used to shop there and is now some kind of management something-or-other, chimes in with even more reasons why I should join.

Just then, somebody swipes something, runs through the alarm gate, and sets it off. Another smart Suncoast shopper, I’m thinking, but THEY’RE thinking “It’s Takedown Time.” Manager-thingy yells off-counter to go and catch the guy and out comes “brush cut cadet guy in clothes two sizes two small” to apprehend the perp. He literally leaps into the mall, bounces a bit in both directions before running off to make the collar. Man, what a show! And, if nothing else, it gave me an opportunity to slip out quietly.

I know these all may represent isolated incidents at one particular store, and forgive me, Suncoast, is it’s the only location where you don’t have quality control. But I have been in another branch about an hour south of this place and I tell ya, the folks working there seemed a little on the funny side, too.

I wonder how many other folks have had experiences like this. While the staff of any business rarely influences my purchase, I DO prefer to be left alone until I specifically ask for assistance. I’ve NOT bought automobilies simply because the salesguy wouldn’t let me test drive the car alone. A store with good product selection and decent prices should have little reason to harass you. My local Suncoast could learn a thing or twenty about customer satisfaction.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
I stopped there for convenience sake last week while Xmas shopping. I needed one more gift - a copy of Sleeping Beauty on DVD. I found the item and was amazed to see the pricetag - $29.99. :eek:

Luckily, that particular title had a sign on the shelf - "On Sale" for $19.99. Still a bit steep but doable. But $29.99? Who the hell pays that? If I paid $30 for every movie, I'd have about 20. And ONLY the absolute FAVORITES.

Suncoast exists by gouging the consumer. Even the clueless consumer that actually "orders" stuff through them rather then going online and "ordering" it themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks