Summer of 42 digital download, Advice please

Discussion in 'Streaming and Digital Media' started by Kyrsten Brad, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Kyrsten Brad

Kyrsten Brad Screenwriter

Brad
    Well folks, since there is no blu-ray yet for the 1971 classic Summer of 42, I'm looking to do the digital download dance. Already have done 3 "HD" streams on Amazon but two of those aren't really all that HD. But with Amazon, I can stream thru my Internet connected Sony blu-ray player onto the big screen.

Since I also have iTunes, thought of giving that a try for Summer of 42. Will I get a decent HD stream on this movie? I can get in on my laptop but not sure if I could get iTunes on the blu-ray player. Anyone know about getting iTunes on a networked blu-ray player?

Or I could just buy the DVD from Warner Archive but of course the best we could get there is a 480p DVD.

Recommendations??

Thanks in advance.

2. Towergrove

Towergrove Screenwriter

Sarah
    Have you tried vudu hdx? Not sure if its available but it would give you a ultraviolet copy of the film. Itunes isn't available on a bluray player. Also are u purchasing or renting cause you may want a digital download instead of a stream of the film.

3. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
  4. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    iTunes = 1080pVudu = 1080pAmazon Instant = 720pIf you want true HD, you can't get it from Amazon. If your Blu-ray player has a Vudu app, then that's probably your best bet. If not then I'd recommend that you purchase an AppleTV box for $99 and get the movie from iTunes.

Kyrsten Brad likes this.
  5. Kyrsten Brad

Brad
    Want to thank everyone here for the excellent advice. Guess it is time to set up a Vudu sub.

Wonder if Vudu has a 1080p version of Way Way Out?

6. Worth

Worth Screenwriter

Nick Dobbs
    They do indeed - both the 1950 and 1987 versions (and yes, I know they're not based on the same story and the '87 was actually a loose remake of The Big Clock).

7. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
    Plus, you get to pick 5 free HD movies when you set up an account. Tip: Also, join Target Ticket, link it to your UltraViolet account, and pick 10 more free HD movies. Your UV movies will show up in both places.

8. Kyrsten Brad

Brad
    Well I pulled the trigger and purchased Summer of 42 on Vudu (along with Doc Hollywood). Not quite up to Blu standards but rather close. And it was the first time I actually got to see the film (unedited for TV) close to the way it was presented in theaters.

Of course if a Blu is ever released, into my Cart it goes.

Towergrove likes this.
  9. Towergrove

Towergrove Screenwriter

Sarah
    Im glad you got to see the movie. Now Im going to have to see what its all about too. :)

10. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    The iTunes streams on Apple TV look great on 120" projection.

11. Kyrsten Brad

Brad
    Well I did find out how "edited" the TV version I first saw in 1975 truly was (and how tight the old Production Code was even in its decline). Even thru those edits though the story was so powerful and had a profound impact on a then teenage boy.

You won't be sorry.

12. Mark Philp

Mark Philp Second Unit

Mark
    Don't know where you saw it, but I was a TV film editor back in the 1970's and I remember being surprised that the film was syndicated uncut. Any editing you saw was either by the network (if it was a network showing) or by your local station. They all had their own standards and some stations had stricter editing policies than others.

Fortunately, at the station I worked for, we took great pains in doing as little harm as we could, but I fought hard with the station manager to run SUMMER OF '42 uncut. I almost made it. I finally had to give in and cut the word "rubbers". Today of course, not only can they say it, but it's likely they'll even show them being used. ;)

13. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    I laugh whenever I see the word "rubbers", partly because my parents are English, and over there, Rubber is slang for an eraser. Imagine the horror on a Canadian grade 6 student's face when my grandmother, volunteering at the library, announces over the intercom, "(girl's name), I have a rubber in the office with your name on it!" :laugh:

Brian Kidd likes this.
  14. trajan007

trajan007 Stunt Coordinator

Larry C Bender
    We do need more films in HD from Robert Mulligan. SAME TIME NEXT YEAR----MAN IN THE MOON---UP THE DOWN STAIRCASE.