What's new

Suggestions for a wireless modem/router? (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
1) Budget - would prefer to keep it under $200 if at all possible.

I saw that this was Wirecutter's recommended pick:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NA80JML?tag=thewire06-20&linkCode=xm2&ascsubtag=AgEAAAAAAAAAASwc

and this was another one I saw recommended on a different site (can't remember which):
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N4R01UJ/ref=psdc_300189_t2_B06XZ3S6B8

So I'm wondering if something like that could do the trick or if I'd need to step up to something much more expensive.

2) Multiple devices, but it's rare that they're all used at once:
-TCL Roku TV in living room - will use a wired ethernet connection for this
-AppleTV 4K in living room - will use a wired ethernet connection for this
-Oppo BD player - connects to WiFi for remote control app, wifi connection not used for streaming
-Onkyo AVR - connects to WiFi for remote control app, wifi connection not used for streaming
-MacBook Pro laptop (x2) - my wife and I each have one, they are rarely used for streaming media
-iPhone (x2) - my wife and I each have one, they are rarely used for streaming media
-PS4 - my wife uses this for local gameplay, she may download game updates but doesn't play online with other users
-AppleTV HD in bedroom - used on extremely rare occasions

3) Our usage patterns are manageable (I think). We've never had a problem with using our laptops together and/or iPhones together at the same time. It's more typical that my wife or I might be streaming something on the TV, and then we're just using a laptop or iPhone to surf the web, check social media sites, etc. It's possible that there might be a rare occasion that we could both be streaming HD video at the same time, but in practice, it's not likely to happen often. Would be nice to have the capability just in case that changes.

4) I think 750-800 square feet.

At this time, the verdict is that an ethernet run would not be ideal. It's very likely that we're only going to be here one more year, so I'm not looking to put the kind of effort in that it would take to get a nice, subtle ethernet run. If I had known when we moved in that it was going to be an issue, I would have done it back then, but at this point, I'm more interested in replacing my dying Apple Extreme router with something that will at least equal (and maybe exceed) what I had, and if it solves my other range problems, great, but if it just keeps me neutral to where I was, I can live with that too.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Why not just use the router you already have and see if it works satisfactorily for the year or so before you think you'll move?

Certainly, it doesn't sound like your current situation will likely be too demanding for a modest unit. I'm guessing the only probable issue is whether the wifi device(s) that do your HD video streaming are located somewhere that can't get a strong enough (sustained) signal from your existing router...

IF it doesn't work well enough, then shop for a new, more powerful one that you'd probably want to work well also for wherever you're likely to move (and have more likelihood of knowing/anticipating further down the road), eg. something much bigger than your current apt.

That's probably what I'd do...

_Man_

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Why not just use the router you already have and see if it works satisfactorily for the year or so before you think you'll move?

That had been my initial plan, but my router’s feelings were apparently hurt by me talking about replacing it, and it’s now dying at an accelerated place.

John was kind enough to offer some suggestions and I ordered something last night - should be here later in the week. I’ll update you guys once everything’s here.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I'm also in Brooklyn, and a TWC-to-Spectrum customer. Spectrum updated our modem and by adding a Netgear wi-fi extender we have for the first time full coverage of our 2,000 sq. ft. condo (first floor and basement); our old modem and extender weren't cutting it.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I'm also in Brooklyn, and a TWC-to-Spectrum customer. Spectrum updated our modem and by adding a Netgear wi-fi extender we have for the first time full coverage of our 2,000 sq. ft. condo (first floor and basement); our old modem and extender weren't cutting it.

Yep. Properly installed Extenders should solve WiFi coverage issues for most folks since they have a wired connection back to the primary router. For the few remaining WiFi-only devices in my home that's what I use. It's the WiFi Repeaters that cause all of the aggravation as they do not have a wired connection back to the primary router and performance results are HEAVILY dependent on placement. Even in the best environments, bandwidth is effectively cut in half as the extender and primary router share the same broadcast channel.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks