What's new

Suffering without LOTR until Nov. (1 Viewer)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
A&B Sound has it on for $22.79CAN and you get a free key chain. I haven't even seen the film yet, but am debating the 5 disc set. Does anyone know whether that monster box is designed to hold the next two films as well?

I notice from the coupon book you can save $8CAN on the 4 disc set, but there is no mention of the 5 disc set.

Also, thanks Alliance for the French title on the spine. Could you not have left it on the reverse side with the rest of the French?

Craig W

Second Unit
Here's one way to look at it if you are on the fence between the two versions:

Once the extended version is released how often are you going to watch the shorter version? You MAY be better off with holding off until November and just rent the shorter version if you need a fix.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I just don't see what all the fuss is about this Michael Flatley fellow. :)

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
Count me as somebody who's waiting till November to buy anything FOTR on DVD (though I actually do already have the animated version of The Hobbit :D). I see no reason to purchase this movie twice, and with my limited budget for DVDs I would really need a big one. Over the next few months I'm buying:
Pulp Fiction Collector's Edition
E.T.
FOTR extended
AOTC
Back To The Future
That's right, just the bare essentials for me. There are several other DVDs I'd like to purchase, but these are the only must-BUYS.
As for the first DVD having the theatrical cut, who gives a rip? I saw it three times already, and in any event I don't think it's a bad prediction to say that the extended cut will become the definitive one. The extended DVD has everything I need and want from a FOTR DVD set.

Tomoko Noguchi

Second Unit
Well, I couldn't wait. I spent about $40 for it at a store in Tokyo. I'm also getting the big set in November and will keep both.

Craig_T

Second Unit
As for the first DVD having the theatrical cut, who gives a rip?
Also raises hand!

Anyways, Best Buy had a great deal going on their website the past few weeks where you ended up getting the LOTR DVD for about 7 bucks after the $10 coupon you get. I could eBay it in November for that much easy.

Jose Robles

Agent
I have to agree with some of the people here too. Who cares if the DVD has the theatrical cut anyways? I mean, for those that say that they MUST have that one, are you saying that you'd prefer a DVD with no deleted/added scenes? If that's the case, then why bother getting the new Pulp Fiction that's coming out. As I understand the current DVD has the theatrical version already.
Personally, I'd rather buy/have a DVD that comes fully loaded with all the extras. In this case, I'm going to have to wait until November to get the movie the way it SHOULD have been presented in the theatre. And like most people have already mentioned, once the extended version comes out, chances are that's the one you're going to want to watch a million times over. ;)
Jose

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Is anyone else suffering with me?? This TOTALLY sucks!
Well, I'm waiting for the November release too, but I'm not suffering. I made a few calls and got a copy of the Academy screener about a week ago (can't say how... don't want to alienate my source and don't want to break forum rules.) My dad's in the other room watching it as I type on my setup.:D

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
There's no way I could wait till Nov, plus I need to experience the movie as it was theatrically as well. So I guess I will be buying the same movie twice. Try explaining that to your SO's.

Paul Linfesty

Stunt Coordinator
where is this coupon that supposedly comes with LOTR? I bought my copy at Costco today and couldnt find it.

TysonK

Agent
I had my hands on a copy today but held off for the November release. I will view the current release at a friend's house. I can wait 3 months (just around the corner). It's not like I'm waiting 1-2 years.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
I am going to wait for the extended release for two reasons:
1) I want commentary as I really enjoy them.
2) Sitting through a 3 hour movie takes a fair bit of time, particularly if it's only 1/3 of a total film, so I like the idea of having two 1.75 hour movies to watch
3) I felt it was about 30 mins short both times I saw it in the cinema
(I'll come in again... :D)
So, I'm with you Jon!!

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
There is NO WAY I could wait until Nov. I bought my copy yesterday and have already watched it twice. Picked it up at Best Buy for $15.99. With the $5 rebate when I buy the extended edition it breaks down to $10.99. For me it's a no brainer.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter

I do. I love my Terminator 2 Ultimate Edition, and I actually watch the theatrical cut just as much as I do the extended version. There's also the collector's attitude of having multiple versions of the movie. Lot's of DVD sets include multiple cuts of the same movie (Army of Darkenss 2-disc, Halloween 2-disc, T2, the upcoming Blade Runner, Brazil, etc.). Since there was not room to include both, and since no one wants to wait until November just to get something, 2 seperate versions were released.

I believe most of the extended scenes in the Nov. release were shot just for that release, not shot and then edited out of the theatrical one. I think if LOTR had been only a moderate success then the "extended version" would have never happened.

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
I got it yestarday and watched it (never saw it before). What a great F'n flick! VERY glad I didn't wait. Sound was awesome, picture, effects, and the movie was great too.

I can't wait until the next one

Marc

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Yep, excellent movie. Glad I picked it up yesterday. The A/V presentation is outstanding.
where is this coupon that supposedly comes with LOTR?
It is inside the DVD case. When I opened mine up, it was right there on the left side with the insert.
Peace Out~:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks