What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

STRANGER THINGS UNSKIPPABLE PREVIEWS (1 Viewer)

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
I just purchased the STRANGER THINGS Season One DVD/Blu-Ray set at Target, and the old VHS box design
is a real gem. Also, having now watched the 1st Episode, it appears the series is as good as I'd heard. HOWEVER!
There's about a five minute preview at the start of Disc One that appears unskippable. I can't find anyway around it,
including pressing Fast Forward. Has anyone discovered a way to jump right the the Episodes Listing, or do I use the five minutes each time to hit the head, raid the fridge, or read another chapter of WAR AND PEACE? Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The only method someone suggested for the 1st time through isn't really going to save any time, but if you want to skip the previews at least the first time.
Insert Disc 2, Choose Episode 1, since Epis 1 is on Disc 1 it will tell you to Insert Disc 1 so just eject disc, and I think you'll go to the 1st episode directly.
Apparently their are some trailers/preview from S2 in that initial 5 minutes that some folks don't want to see at all until they watch S1 so it's not just a time thing

I think the second time you play Disc 1 it will allow you to 'resume' rather than go through the preview again as you don't hit stop or clear the memory ( or if you save your exit place).

Last edited:

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
That's crazy! I hate when studios do that! Lionsgate is usually the worst in that regard. The DVD of the BBC Dracula with Louis Jordan is the same way.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I just put my disc it.

Starting with Disc 2 it immediately went to the Top Menu, selected Ep 1, ejected 2 and inserted 1, and went straight to Ep 1.

Ejected disc and restarted -- it immediately asked if I wanted to resume. Yes -- went right back to Epi 1.
Ejected, restart, select No and then had to watch the Preview (well I didn;t watch). Once it cycled back to Menu, Play ALL, for 10seconds, ejected, restarted and again asked if I wanted to resume

One of the other cute things in the set is the NetFlix label on the discs. Blu-ray -- text is same direction of the Name label, DVD the Netflix logo is upside down

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Many thanks for the thoughtful responses. As it turned out, just clicking "Resume" worked perfectly. Then just Fast
Forwarded through the rest of Episode One's credits, and away we went.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Have Netflix, but even with a high internet plan, it stutters at times, so i picked up the set at Target as well, the blu is everything that i could ask for presentation wise, as for the 5 min of previews, load the disc, walk away to the kitchen, make a snack and come back, works every time. :D

Last edited:

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
I have no use for previews on disk. There's nothing worse than being forced to sit through the same prevews every time you watch a disk (or episode of a TV series if don't watch everything on the disk at once). Check that: There IS something worse — a "Coming Soon to Theaters" for a film that's long since come and gone! I haven't checked if they still do, but CBS/Paramount gave you a choice right off: Previews or Main Menu. Easy to avoid previews.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I have no use for previews on disk. There's nothing worse than being forced to sit through the same prevews every time you watch a disk (or episode of a TV series if don't watch everything on the disk at once). Check that: There IS something worse — a "Coming Soon to Theaters" for a film that's long since come and gone! I haven't checked if they still do, but CBS/Paramount gave you a choice right off: Previews or Main Menu. Easy to avoid previews.
Disney does that as well for most of their movies ... but you have to be quick about it ...

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well, in keeping with the theme of the show and the seeming out of the blue BD release with virtually no notice. Stranger Things S1 at Target, there appears to be another surprise release of a 4k is similar style package (white border instead of black) with the 4K+BD combo pack.

Someone at bluray found it in store mistakenly on the shelf today fo ??29.99, but the Target system appears to be have it scheduled for official release either 11/28 or 12/5. For preparation for those who would rather have the 4K release and are planning their BF shopping around the $10 Bluray set.

There is nothing at Target.com and now press releases to fall back on and even the UPC yields no search results.

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters

IIRC, they did it not only under the CBS DVD label, but also as CBS Home Entertainment. One exception, IINM, was with the third-season release of O-R Five-O: the previews started right off, and there was no option to skip and go direct to the menu, also IIRC.

Greg Lovern

Stunt Coordinator
I just got season 1 disc 1 in the mail from netflix. So I don't have disc 2 nor any other disc. This is bar none the most annoying startup I have ever seen. It reminds me of the early Disney DVDs, but at least on those you could fast-forward through each of the 837 previews. On this disc I can't even do that. I came here hoping there was some secret voodoo to skip it but apparently there is not. Though I'm glad to hear that when I put the disc back in to watch the rest of the episodes (we watched the first 2 tonight), I should be able to hit "resume" and not watch half an hour of ads again.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I just got season 1 disc 1 in the mail from netflix. So I don't have disc 2 nor any other disc. This is bar none the most annoying startup I have ever seen. It reminds me of the early Disney DVDs, but at least on those you could fast-forward through each of the 837 previews. On this disc I can't even do that. I came here hoping there was some secret voodoo to skip it but apparently there is not. Though I'm glad to hear that when I put the disc back in to watch the rest of the episodes (we watched the first 2 tonight), I should be able to hit "resume" and not watch half an hour of ads again.

Welcome to the boards, Greg! I'm glad to hear it for you that you can pick up where you left off on that first first-season disc and not have to endure the ad torture again-- hope I'm not wrong, though.

Greg Lovern

Stunt Coordinator
I'm glad to hear it for you that you can pick up where you left off on that first first-season disc and not have to endure the ad torture again-- hope I'm not wrong, though.

We watched the other 2 episodes on the disc last night. It prompted for whether I wanted to resume (Yes/No). I choose Yes, and it went right into the menu.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Any speculation on season 3 for blu? I'm not convinced the first two seasons sold all that well for Target. I saw the season 1 4k on clearance the other day for about $9.00. I haven't yet pulled the trigger on either season; I was no fan of the gigantic packaging (that doesn't even match). I'm kind of hoping for slimmer releases up the line, or maybe wait five years until they put out a megaset. A dream--who knows if we'll even have physical media in five years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bromleygarden
Recent bookmarks