What's new

Steven Spielberg's Munich - 5/9 (2 Viewers)

Neil_Duffy

Second Unit
You know... I have been wondering exactly what Dreamworks are playing it... though Cinderalla Man passed me by, I couldn't understand the Limited Edition of Jarhead - why? Why the need to make the title a limited 2 discer? The price too was silly. Ditto about Munich. I seriously don't get there logic. Munich was an excellent picture - a movie I wanted toi buy as soon as it comes out and the supps sounded good. But I can't see the point of 'denying' people the opportunity to get thier hands on a copy... if this is the way it's going to be form now on, it's unlucky for us enthusiasts who enjoy all the background information and wish to enhance their knowledge.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
No dice on my local BB either. So I held off buying the title until either 1) my BB restocks on the 2 discer, or 2) I get a read that the 2-discer isn't worth the extra $$ (I think it's $11 or $12 more).

Any thoughts on if the 2nd disc is worth the $$$, for those of you who were lucky enough to score a 2 discer?

Thanks!

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
Carlos, many people at DVDTalk have been of the opinion that, no, the 2-disc is definitely not worth it (50 minutes of "fluffy" featurettes); however, I'm an extras whore and the cover of the CE is downright sexy, so it got my $28.99...

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

sexy?

i passed, the look of the cover wasnt enough for me.
i dont agree with the price of the "new special editions" these days.

DanRevill

Agent
I'm in BC, Canada...went to three different retailers (London Drugs, Best Buy and Wal-Mart), and none had the 2 Disc edition.
I phoned Future Shop, and they quoted a release date of May 16th.
To double check on that, I called A&B Sound, and they said it'd been pushed back due to rights issues? Anyhow, this sucks, since I wanted to watch it, but I'm not gonna rent or buy the single disc edition. I prefer the look of the 2 disc set, plus that booklet does sound enticing.
As for the extras, War of the Worlds didn't have a lot of stuff either, but the set looks nice...and I know I'll watch the extras sooner or later.

Lame on the no DTS track. If there's a film cryin' for a DTS, this'd be it (and STAR WARS...)

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Got my copy of the LE at Best Buy. Went to one store and it was sold out of a whopping 8 copies of the LE received. The next store had 5 and I grabbed a copy.

I don't like the pricing of the LE either, but since I'm rarely buying DVDs these days, I'll splurge for something like Munich.

As far as the quality of the docus, I found the 2nd disc of War of the Worlds quite insightful, so I'm looking forward to Laurent's work for Munich.

James Luckard

Second Unit
Real Name
James Luckard
I can't believe the insanity I had to get through to get the 2-disc set right here in Hollywood. I went to Best Buy at about 1pm and they were sold out. I went to Amoeba Records, which always has everything, and they said it was not being released today. Borders across the street said they didn't get it either.

Finally, I called the Virgin Megastore on Hollywood Blvd and they had three copies, so I raced over and picked one up. To top that off, when I got there I found that the copy that had been put on hold for me had had my name written on it while the paper was on top of the disc, which is my DVD pet peeve, so that my name "James" was visible gouged into the cardboard cover.

I told the idiot clerk I didn't want this copy for this reason and he behaved like an ass, saying there was nothing wrong with it and treating me like a huge annoyance. I guess the customer is always wrong.

Anyway, at least I got it, though at over $10 more than what I expected to pay at BB.(They stil have two in the Drama section if anybody needs one, they're 39.99, though one copy does have my name scratched into the cover.)

I can understand making DVDs limited editions over a couple of months, like Disney does, it's smart marketing, and they are clear in their advertising that the discs will disappear, but making them so hard to find in what has to be the biggest DVD market in the world, on release day is insane.

Universal messed this one up, but then they've somehow managed to make each Spielberg release for the last, what, five years, confusing by way of dropped audio tracks, including unwanted CDs, missing release dates, rapidly dropping prices so that those who bought on release day wasted money, etc.

At least tonight I own Munich and The New World, the two best movies of last year.

Dougieha

Agent
Real Name
Doug H.
Well...at least Amazon no longer says it's unavailable...although the page now says that it ships in 6 to 11 days. I'm prepared to wait, as I don't see the point in running all over the place to find out no one has it.

Patrick H.

Second Unit
The fact that these 2-disc releases, which would've been the $20 "normal editon" about a year ago, are totally overpriced is one thing. But that they're only around for a few hours on release day is utterly ridiculous. Why do they even bother? What gives?!

Dougieha

Agent
Real Name
Doug H.
Cool...Amazon now shows my 2-disc LE as "shipping soon." Looks like they figured out whatever the holdup was.

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will

I agree.

Perhaps Universal should spend more time worrying about their double-sided TV releases not working, and less time about how to make sure nobody can get hold of one of their major releases...

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
I went to Best Buy and picked up a copy of the LE at about 2 p.m. -- they had four left. They had none in the new release section -- no space for them either. They were tucked into the Drama section. $29 is steep but the packaging is great. I can live with it.

Oh, and Blockbuster had only 5 copies for sale -- all single disc editions. Is it me or are they scaling back their "new" DVD sales?

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Yes, Seppo, thank you for the link.

However, I have to start wondering about all these retailers. They have under-ordered on (what seems to be) every two-disc set out there in the last six months. A simple fix: get rid of the single disc version, make them all double discers and be done with it. End of story.

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
I stand corrected; my Amazon order has just changed to 'shipping soon'.

Fair enough. Universal is back on my Xmas card list.... (until I find out that Munich LE is actually a DVD-18 with massive playback problems.....)

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Even though I am getting the two disc, in a way, it is kind of disapointing to see that the demand was very underestimated. It is just going to validate this overpriced marketing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks