What's new

Status change for "Independence Day [Blu-ray]" 12/4/07 Release? (1 Viewer)

DavidS

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
D.

Which makes things, for instance, annoying for PS3 owners. Why can't they use PCM or Dolby TrueHD? Since the lossless compressed formats should sound identical, I think it's just plain silly at 1) there are still two competing formats, and that 2) One studio has to use a different format than the other studios use.

Viper

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Fisk

Makes me sick to hear someone praise one of the studios like this. Especially when it's a studio that butchered Live Free or Die Hard into a PG-13 movie and made that version the only one available on BD while giving us the unrated SD-DVD.

Viper

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Fisk

Maybe, but more people should bitch about it. Maybe they'll release the damn thing right if they get more emails about it.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

How about the fact that (in my opinion, at least) they are the worst major studio on the scene today for consistently porting over extras from SD counterparts.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
... and single-handedly killed the consumer's trust in announced release dates, as well as the very release announcements.

The first BD I ordered, roughly one year and a half ago (next to Sony's The Fifth Elelement :frowning: ), was Commando. It's still nowhere to be seen.

Cees

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i have my share of Fox blu-ray discs... but my gosh dave. do you know or are aware that WB is the best studio putting out HD discs? that's a fact.

Harry Potter for new releases and Blade Runner and hell even Casablanca from 1942 looked AWESOME! there's just no other studio remotely close to doing what WB is doing. Fox should be ashamed. that's not to say they're as bad as paramount or sometimes universal, but WB is simply the best, not Fox.

i would rank it such:
1. WB
2. Disney
3. Fox-Universal both tie for medciore (not great, not awesome either) releases
4. Paramount is the absolute worst.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Does DTS-HD/MA cost significantly more to use than Dolby TrueHD and multi-channel PCM? I wonder if part of Fox's (and MGM's) higher price tag isn't due to that. New Line is also using DTS-HD/MA (for the most part) though their prices seem to vary w/ some being just as much as Fox/MGM titles.

If the main reason for the higher prices is DTS-HD/MA, then I'd rather they go w/ Dolby TrueHD or MPCM instead.

_Man_

bigluigi

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Primeau
I guess this is a product that you would not want to install in the family station wagon.:laugh:

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Just my opinion but I think Fox is by far the worst studio putting out titles on HD. Between the delays, bare bones releases, and the outrageous MSRP, I feel they have very little to be proud of. As a result I own exactly 1 Fox title.

Doug

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
That would be a good criticism to level against their output since it does affect alot of their releases. What I meant earlier is that talking about one title and using that as a gauge for the entire studio's output makes no sense.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz

I would not go so far as saying WB is the best studio putting out HD discs. While I do own WB titles like Blade Runner and Harry Potter and WB did a awsum job on those. What about all the titles WB put out with the same tired Dolby Digital track ported over from DVD? I feel that the use of DTS-HD MA is a good choice because it is completely backwards compatible with all legacy DTS decoders. And while all players should have had decoding capability from day one. We are getting the capability to decode DTS-HD MA and it will be good even for those who have older legacy decoders. I really do not care about going backwards for lossy Dolby Digital at 640k/sec especially since IMHO legacy DTS is a better choice than DD. But if a title does not have uncompressed pcm or DTS-HD MA I would hope that it would at least have Dolby True HD. I have had the chance to enjoy uncompressed pcm and Dolby True HD which both sound awsume. I am willing to bet that DTS-HD MA will also sound just as good as the other two lossless audio codex. I would like to see lossless used on all HD titles no matter if its Dolby THD or DTS-HD or uncompressed pcm.

I guess no studio is perfect and they have all screwed up something at one time or another. But as far as WB goes what ever happened to Superman 3, Superman 4, Lethal Weapon 3 and Leathal Weapon 4 ??? And why did the Blu-ray's only get a Dolby Digital track? The transfers IMHO for Superman 1 & 2 and Lethal Weapon 1 & 2 are average and could have been better.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
re: WB titles. which specific titles are you referring to about the sountrack issue:confused:? i bet they were films that don't need lossless soundtracks.

as for superman3,4 lethal weapon. what's that got do with releasing high quality HD discs? Fox is constantly shifting their release schedules and delaying titles. they should be punished for getting people's hopes up then dashing it. master&command was supposed to have been hear next month, now it's supposedly may. id4 was supposedly last dec. now it's next month, etc.

you single out the few transfers with very low quality source... but that's almost every single Fox release :laugh:. 90% of WB's HD releases look so much better than 90% of Fox's releases. apples to apples.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Any title can benefit from lossless audio, and there's no reason not to do it, aside from space issues, which shouldn't be a problem on Blu-ray. Though I'm not aware of any 384 kbps DD tracks from WB on Blu-ray or HD DVD. That's as high as they went with DD on DVD isn't it? Haven't all their HD offerings been at least 640 kbps, which is a lot better than even the 448? max you coud get on DVD.

Also, Lionsgate employs DTS HD on their titles, so it's not just Fox.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i agree with your sentiments. i want lossless on EVERYTHING like you.

HOWEVA, studios must be willing to invest some $ to remaster the audio so it is fully realized/optimized for lossless... otherwise i'll take lossy over lossless because there is no sense/need for lossless if you don't remaster the source.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Whenever someone can confirm which cut of the film is included on this disc...

Conflicting info at AVS.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

At least the Euro-releases (already out) have "Theatrical Version" (running time is 144:48 min).

Extras:
*Audio Commentary by Director Roland Emmerich and Producer Dean Devlin
*Audio Commentary by Visual Effects Supervisors Volker Engel and Douglas Smith

*Teaser
*3 theatrical trailers
*Bonus trailers

*High Definition Exclusive Bonus features:
-ID4 Datastream -trivia track
-Alien Scavenger Hunt BD-Java interactive game

English DTS-HD Master 5.1/AVC MPEG-4 compression.

I just re-wathed this from the TV and won´t be getting this on Blu-ray.. Very mediocre effort (the film, I mean).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks