What's new

Pre-Order Starting Over (1979) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
81SS6VEWrJL._SL1500_.jpg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Never saw this, I guess because I was a pre-teen. 1979 is when my parents started to let me see "R" movies so that wasn't the total barrier, but I'm sure it was part of it.

"'R' movies I could see" essentially equaled "'R' movies my dad wanted to see too"! :D

I remember "Starting Over" was presented at Burt's attempt to "go serious" and expand past his reputation for comedy/action.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I remember "Starting Over" was presented at Burt's attempt to "go serious" and expand past his reputation for comedy/action.

It's still a comedy through and through, but did represent a radical departure from his norm. It was strictly an adult comedy (remember those?) and doubt it would have really appealed to you in 1979 (I was 12 and I had NO interest in it until years later)

It's also famous for being Candice Bergen's first comedic role, which made everybody see her in a different light. She's a joy (well, she plays a bitch but the comedy is a joy!)

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
I loved this movie when it came out, but have only revisited it once on VHS! Should've had a lot more Oscar nominations. It was nominated for Best Actress (Jill Clayburgh) and Supporting Actress (Candice Bergen).

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
It's still a comedy through and through, but did represent a radical departure from his norm. It was strictly an adult comedy (remember those?) and doubt it would have really appealed to you in 1979 (I was 12 and I had NO interest in it until years later)

Yeah, I should've specified that the comedy wasn't the departure - it was the more "sophisticated" nature vs. the hijinks of "Smokey and the Bandit".

I was actually really into those more "adult-oriented" movies back then. I'm a lowbrow dolt now, but I had elevated tastes as a pre-teen! :D

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I loved this movie when it came out, but have only revisited it once on VHS! Should've had a lot more Oscar nominations. It was nominated for Best Actress (Jill Clayburgh) and Supporting Actress (Candice Bergen).

I seem to recall some controversy that Burt didn't get a nom.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
I seem to recall some controversy that Burt didn't get a nom.
I thought, or hoped, he would.

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
Dustin Hoffman -- Kramer vs. Kramer
Jack Lemmon -- The China Syndrome
Al Pacino -- ...And Justice for All
Roy Scheider -- All That Jazz
Peter Sellers -- Being There

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE

That's a pretty solid roster so hard to argue Burt got "snubbed".

HarleyDog

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dennis Haney

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
All heavy-hitters, but I remember being annoyed that Burt didn’t get a nomination and Al Pacino did for his over-the-top performance in a movie that I absolutely despised.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE

That was the most disappointing Oscar year for me of all time. I wanted ALL THAT JAZZ to win and was stunned it turned out to be KRAMER vs. KRAMER.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
^^^

Has anyone ever revisited Kramer vs. Kramer? I haven't had any desire to see it again after I saw it once back in 1979.
That year had a lot of interesting, varied and edgy films, adult comedies like Being There and Starting Over, some powerhouse performances, and the Oscars seem to have been confused by all this and settled on a rather well done, but tame domestic drama.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
^^^

Has anyone ever revisited Kramer vs. Kramer? I haven't had any desire to see it again after I saw it once back in 1979.
That year had a lot of interesting, varied and edgy films, adult comedies like Being There and Starting Over, some powerhouse performances, and the Oscars seem to have been confused by all this and settled on a rather well done, but tame domestic drama.

To know just how bad it was to see Kramer vs. Kramer win that year, consider that Apocalypse Now was also up for Best Picture that year.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
All heavy-hitters, but I remember being annoyed that Burt didn’t get a nomination and Al Pacino did for his over-the-top performance in a movie that I absolutely despised.

Pacino actually offers a subdued performance through most of "Justice".

It's that one famous scene that leaves the impression he's in over the top mode the whole time, but he's not.

Curiously, though, pretty much everyone else overacts!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
^^^

Yeah, I've watched "KvK" probably 3-4 times over the last 20 years.

It's a well-made movie. Was it truly the best of 1979? No, but I wouldn't call it a bad pick for BP.

We've seen plenty worse choices.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks