What's new
World Wide Stereo

Starting from scratch @1k (1 Viewer)

Dennis Sr

Auditioning
Post#1- Let me say that over the last 3-4 days of searching through posts here I've learned alot from all the members here-thanks.I really know nothing about HT but I'm learning{separetes vs HTIB&no bose,lol}.I'm trying to keep the system @ 1k,tough job-already have a Hitachi ultravision 53SBX01B.I'm getting satellite-watch dvd's and would like to play cd's through it.I'm looking at buying the following-let me know what you think..good or bad -Onkyo TXLR552 orTXSR502or Denon AVR785S @$325..Sub-Infinity PS10 250w or$275-Sony !)" 250w $190..Cntr Spkr-Polk CSi3 or CS1 $200 or Infinity Betac250 $225..Front& Rear Spkrs Polk Monitor 30's $100ea..I'll have to use my POS dvd player for now already way over my original budget..the room is 16'x20'w/ an 8'x8'opening to the next room,opening is opposite the tv-the reason for choosing these components are price of each/fits the current budget sort of-Thanks.. another new guy.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Aaron_Mum

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Dennis:

I'd recommend that do a lot of auditioning before you decide what to get. Who knows if the speakers you listed are right for you, you'll have to do more research.

I'd head off to some local audio shops that sell some nice brands and let you lounge in their stores and audition. If I were you I'd find a few shops and phone ahead, tell them you are looking for an entry level HT system and could you come in and listen to stuff they have in your price range. If they are a reputable dealer they should be happy to arrange a time to demo what they have to offer.

The problem with places like best buy that sell infinity and polk is that you are not getting to listen to everything that is out there. Also, if you are on a tight budget check out the online companies, most of them have banner ads on this site. Do some searches on them, they offer some good value. The only problem is that you cannot audition them so you'll really have to do some serious research.

Hope this helps you. My advice, spend extra time listening and hunting around before you drop the $1000. You may find that your best option at this time is a used reciever and a sweet pair of mains. Its all about what you want to achieve and you cannot know this unless you do a lot of auditioning.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SJeans123
Recent bookmarks