What's new

Star Wars discussion from The Bits... (1 Viewer)

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter

It was spoiled for me, too. A week before the film's release a major magazine (TIME, People, or something) featured his face on the cover and in big letters, "YODA" right under it. I'd been trying to stay spoiler free but couldn't avoid seeing the cover on the rack.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
I guess I got really lucky Yoda wasn't spoiled for me then! I wonder if that scene from The Simpsons where Homer ruins it for people waiting in line for Empire ever happened in real life. ;)

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
One of the funniest comics I read in Starlog a few years ago went something like this ("Empire" opened on a Wednesday).

Guy enters a room late Wednesday night where his roommate is putting together a Star Wars model. "I just saw "The Empire Strikes Back! It was awesome". The roommate says "Don't say anything. It was sold out so I pre-bought tickets to see it tomorrow".
Guy:"Oh! The effects! The sound! The music! Everything was awesome."
Roommate:"OK. I get it, it was great. Now don't tell me anything more."
Guy: "But I want to talk about it sooo bad! Even the dialogue was awesome. Can I just tell you ONE line?"
Roommate: (thinking "one line? That can't hurt too much")"OK. Fine. ONE line, if it'll get you to stop bugging me."
Guy: (assumes imposing posture and deep voice) "I AM YOUR FATHER!"
Roommate: (Screaming) "Nooooooo!"

Chris_T

Stunt Coordinator
Since Star Wars Celebration IV is going on this week, does the fact that nothing has leaked about the "Uber DVD Boxset" mean we won't be getting anything this fall?

Chris

Carl Walker

Stunt Coordinator

Last week, on a podcast interview with Star Wars Action News, Steve Sansweet confirmed that they considered a mega DVD set for release this year, but in the end decided that it was better to wait. Thus, no DVD box this year.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Well, I was 11 years old at the time, my dad was going to take us to see Empire on the Saturday after it had opened (I think, I know I bugged him immediately once we knew it was coming), but in school some dumbass who saw it earlier promptly told everyone about it... :angry:

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member

Well ... Color me *shocked*!! I've been reading and hearing rumors regarding the 30th Anniversary set for literally a decade!!

I would hate to think that last year's ill-advised third release in three years to DVD of the Original Trilogy (in one form or another) cost us the 30th Anniversary set this year.

In retrospect, why was there a release last year?? The Original Unaltered Trilogy could have been released as an extra in the Anniversary box. (Especially since they were essentially the LD transfers dumped to DVD). Whatever else I thought of Lucas, I always thought that he was at least very good at marketing his franchise. But he blew it big time with last year's release!!

AlexCosmo

Stunt Coordinator
A Lucasfilm guy said this week that they would not be releasing any Star Wars on blu-ray or HDDVD in the near future. Now, I don't have either type of player, I don't plan on getting either one any time soon, if ever. But what is the deal with this policy of Star Wars going out of its way to NOT be shown in the best quality possible? They released on Phantom Menace on VHS only, even as The Matrix was selling tons of dvds from the get-go, so I don't get how it's such a great business move.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
What was really annoying at the time was Phantom Menace being released on Laserdisc only in Japan. The Matrix got an LD release in the states.

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale

Damn. :frowning:

If they're not releasing it for the 30th anniversary then will they release it? It could be years... :thumbsdown:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

Better to wait for what? The 30th anniversary seems like the best opportunity for this kind of thing. Unless they are waiting for the HD format war to end, but that could take a while. Of course, they could also be waiting for the animated or live-action TV shows to start so they have something to tie into.

Still, this would have been the year to release a definitive saga box set, complete with deleted scenes and the original making of- specials from the 70s and 80s.

Brendon

Second Unit

I fiigured it was to capitalise by cross promoting the release of the Lego Star Wars II video game with the OOT/OUT, in the same was that SW: Battlegrounds was used for the 2004 DVD release.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I still maintain that Sansweet's comments could have been an effort to keep something big "under wraps" until they can officially announce it on the 30th Anniversary proper (which is tomorrow! I'll be watching all 6 episodes on DVD in chronological order!) at Celebration IV. Stranger things have happened.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I'd love to see them just focus on the first film and give it a lavish multi-disc set with all the bells and whistles, remastered trasnfer of the original version, the original documentaries, etc. And then follow it up with similar releases for the others for the next few years. :)

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
30 years - WOW! Where the hell did they go?!:eek: I'm hoping that the fact that there won't be a 30th anniversary boxed set means that whatever boxed set down the road will include the Original Trilogy. I'm choosing to be optimistic on this, the 30th anniversary of one of the greatest films of all time, and feeling a bit nostalgic and misty as well.

May the force be with you.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
Well, just to check in about my "STAR WARS adventure" with my mother-in-law...

We finished Episode III yesterday and like a previous poster has said, she was FLOORED at Anakin's turn and at the Darth Sidious reveal. She had no IDEA that Anakin was Darth Vader. After all, what would she base on this?

I am going to watch Episode IV with her today, so I am curious to see how the shift in special effects is for her.

The only real problem she had so far was that Episode I's introduction to the STAR WARS universe is not really a good one. What I mean by that is that Obi-wan's explanations to Luke in ANH are REALLY GOOD, but there are no comparable explanations in TPM. She was wondering why the Jedi had "lazer swords" and no one else did and why they could jump so much (no good explanation of the Force). Other than that, she has really enjoyed them.

I have to agree with a previous poster in saying that the twists still exist, they just exist for a different purpose now. How these movies should be viewed will be debated forever (much like CS Lewis' CHRONICLES OF NARNIA).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks