What's new

Star Trek Into Darkness (no spoilers) my mini review (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
There is a scene, where if I remember right Carol is talking to her father and literally most of her face is obstructed by blue flare. Not joking, you can barely make out her mouth and her eyes get covered more than once

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I just got back from seeing it in IMAX. It looks great and you should definitely see it in 3D.

Before seeing it, I read the novelization, which actually makes more sense than the movie. I think the problem is that the script was too long forcing too many cuts leaving us with a movie with plot holes.

Overall I think the film was enjoyable, but actually had too much action. The over abundance of action took away from the time necessary for the plot.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Chris Will said:
Honestly, to me at least, V is the only movie that truly captured TOS chemistry of Kirk, Spock and McCoy and is one of its most enduring qualities. Yes, the story is not that good and it is really corny in parts but, it has some of the best Krik, Spock and McCoy moments of all the films.
I agree completely (wow...we agree on something :) ) It is the only redeeming factor. Nemesis really has none.

We (our department) are going tomorrow afternoon to see it. Expectations are set to low, so maybe I will be pleasantly surprised? Based on what I am reading here, it seems that will not be the case :(

Well at least it's a free movie.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Wayne_j said:
Before seeing it, I read the novelization, which actually makes more sense than the movie. I think the problem is that the script was too long forcing too many cuts leaving us with a movie with plot holes.
That has been the case with every Trek movie, I think. The novelizations were always better... at least the ones that I read.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I was disappointed with this. I loved 2009's STAR TREK. I found this to be "ok", but it felt like it was missing something.

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
I liked it. Yes there were some plot holes but you know I still enjoyed the movie as a whole.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I loved it beginning to end. Loved the action, the 3D, loved the character moments and so on. The performances from all were great especially Cumberbatch. I think I like it better than the first. IMO, it improves on everything from the first film. I'm a huge Trek fan, since the reruns started in the '70's, and this film delivered for me 100%. Awesome in IMAX 3D and can't wait to see it again. :)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Chris Will said:
Well, there is one thing MattCR and I agree on, Nemesis is the worst Star Trek film, by far imo. The only reason I own is because I have the box set. Don't even know why I have the box set, the only next gen movie I enjoy is First Contact. I revisit V more often then any of the next gen movies, even FC. Honestly, to me at least, V is the only movie that truly captured TOS chemistry of Kirk, Spock and McCoy and is one of its most enduring qualities. Yes, the story is not that good and it is really corny in parts but, it has some of the best Krik, Spock and McCoy moments of all the films.

Well, he was tasked with "rebooting" Star Trek. He is not tasked with rebooting Star Wars, just continuing the series. I don't think he is going to have as much control over Star Wars as he does with Trek, he's already not getting his normal writing team.

I really didn't notice the lens flares as much this time around. I just re-watched '09 Trek earlier this week and they are toned down a bit in STID.
I also have a feeling Abrams has more of a personal attachment to the "Star Wars" series. IIRC, didn't he say he knew next to nothing about "Trek" and was never a fan until he took on the first movie? I'd guess he's a "Star Wars" fanboy and would be more respectful of that series...

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Entertaining nonsense. Very good direction around a tremendously mediocre script. Good with the jokes and one-liners and bad with stakes, coherence, and dramatic writing. The best scene was Pike absolutely destroying Kirk verbally as the E is (rightly) taken away.

In the end, I can't even remember much of the story in order to comment on specific details. I'm happy Abrams is going to Star Wars. Because I don't care much for Abrams as a storyteller (he can direct though...he has some real skill), and I don't care much about new Star Wars movies sequentially following ROTJ. They'll look good and be exciting, and the fans can be thrilled at getting the glass half full.

My interest in this was mostly Benedict Cumberbatch. He acquits himself well, even with some awful dialogue and villain cliches abound. I was also impressed with the rest of the key cast. Pine got some actual characterization (thanks to the aforementioned Pike bit that he carries the rest of the film with), with the rest of the cast providing quality backup. I liked Spock more, even in the WoK ripoff scene. All the way until the completely out of place shouting of the villains name, totally undercutting a decent moment (not as earned as the original version, but well done nonetheless) for (more) fan service. The rest of the movie after that point was not to my taste.

Not as cerebrally involving as Trek should be. I found the sort-of-there theme of not militarizing Starfleet to be a bit out of place in a movie that is absolutely militarizing Star Trek movies (by which I mean, more about action and physical conflict than ideas or exploration) compared to previous iterations.

Still, a very competent blockbuster with run of the mill plotting, but above average performances and direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks