What's new

Star Trek DS9 on Blu-Ray -- Remain Ever Hopeful Thread (1 Viewer)

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
9 million is low balling it when it comes to both Voyager and latter day DS9. Once Foundation Imaging took over effects for those shows, the raw elements ceased to exist outside of stock footage.
The 9 mil figure was accurate at the time TNG HD ended. I don't have any new estimate, so I stuck with that one.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
$9 million for 176 episodes would be quite the bargain. But I don't think Paramount has any money these days lol

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
My concern is actually with Voyager which I think is my favourite of the post TNG shows. I actually found DSN rather dull and boring often because they were usually rooted to the spot and often concerned with new age philosophy etc. Don't get me wrong, although I did find many a chore to get through, I watched every one and would buy the Blu Rays because it IS Star Trek.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
From what I understand, they built a practical miniature for the Voyager pilot, then made two scans of that physical model for the different software platforms used by the visual effects vendors.
voy_model.jpg
(TrekCore)

The work done by Santa Barbara Studios used the scan for its in-house "Dynamation" design software, the rest of the work done used the Lightwave 3D model created from the other scan. The original title sequence apparently combined filmed shots of the physical model with shots utilizing both CG versions.

The Lightwave model was used by most of the vendors involved, and upgraded/altered as the series went on and Voyager was gradually modified with technology found in the Delta Quadrant. My guess is that it exists in some form that would be HD ready, though I don't know the impracticalities involved in converting it from Lightwave to whatever the modern rendering and design platform is.

The lead vendor for the first season was Ambling Imaging, and then Foundation Imaging for the remainder of the series. When Foundation closed out, the servers were auctioned off and the content on them went with them. But some of the artists apparently still have a large percentage of the assets.

And while there are some sins that were obscured in SD but would be more evident in HD, at the very least the Voyager Lightwave model would seem to hold up to HD:
voy-drydock.jpg

I'm not even a big Star Trek fan, but I find the process of reclaiming SD shows in HD from the original elements extremely fascinating.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I actually grew up watching TOS. When TNG Came out I watched it for the first 3 Seasons and then it wasn't shown in my area. After it went of the Air, I was able to reconnect with it through Sci Fi and Spike I remember correctly. I never watched DS9 Voyager or Enterprise when they originally ran. I decided to purchase Them On DVD to complete Collecting the franchise. I liked DS 9 because it was not the same star ship mission formula and because it arced into various subjects (war, Exile, Religion, etc etc)

The thing that I find incomplete about Voyager was the whole idea was to get back to The Alpha quadrant to family and loved ones. We never saw the reunion aspect though. For me, seeing Janeway speaking to Admiral Paris on the view screen without seeing Tom speak directly to him for example didn't go far enough. Tom always struggled with the idea that "my father sees me as a screw up. I want to prove different"

ENT as others have stated went off the rails. Especially at the end with Riker watching his Predecessors through a Holodeck .. Will I buy the BR Versions? Probably not

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
They have released the Animated Series standalone in a way: is this somewhat what you're looking for?

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-An...574&sr=8-1&keywords=Star+Trek+animated+series
Save the date: September 6, 2016.
I believe he was referring to the bluray set ...

BoxSet.jpg

Here are the details:

• Star Trek: The Original Series Blu-ray
  • Star Trek: The Animated Series Blu-ray
  • The New Frontier: Resurrecting Star Trek
  • Maiden Voyage: Making Star Trek: The Motion Picture
  • The Genesis Effect: Engineering The Wrath of Khan
  • The Dream is Alive: The Continuing Mission
  • End of an Era: Charting the Undiscovered Country
  • Collectible 50th Anniversary Starfleet Insignia Pin
  • Collectible Mini-Posters for Movies 1-6
  • Plus, over 20 hours of bonus content
Star Trek 50th Anniversary TV and Movie Collection will be released just two days before the actual 50th anniversary of the debut of Star Trek: The Original Series. The collection is available for pre-order on amazon.com and is priced at $208.99.

- See more at: http://www.startrek.com/article/ultimate-tos-blu-ray-collection-coming-this-

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Save the date: September 6, 2016.
I believe he was referring to the bluray set ...

BoxSet.jpg

Here are the details:

• Star Trek: The Original Series Blu-ray
  • Star Trek: The Animated Series Blu-ray
  • The New Frontier: Resurrecting Star Trek
  • Maiden Voyage: Making Star Trek: The Motion Picture
  • The Genesis Effect: Engineering The Wrath of Khan
  • The Dream is Alive: The Continuing Mission
  • End of an Era: Charting the Undiscovered Country
  • Collectible 50th Anniversary Starfleet Insignia Pin
  • Collectible Mini-Posters for Movies 1-6
  • Plus, over 20 hours of bonus content
Star Trek 50th Anniversary TV and Movie Collection will be released just two days before the actual 50th anniversary of the debut of Star Trek: The Original Series. The collection is available for pre-order on amazon.com and is priced at $208.99.

- See more at: http://www.startrek.com/article/ultimate-tos-blu-ray-collection-coming-this-

I take it then that he wants the standalone Blu-Ray of TAS. Apparently I misunderstood. I assumed he was referring to the DVD.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Every time this thread gets bumped up, I get my hopes up even though I know they will be dashed when I check the thread. I sorely wish there was a DS9 thread for non-related BD news, since there will likely never be any.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Every time this thread gets bumped up, I get my hopes up even though I know they will be dashed when I check the thread. I sorely wish there was a DS9 thread for non-related BD news, since there will likely never be any.
+ 1

I'm going to start rewatching the series in January.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
We're currently in the midst of rewatching VOYAGER on DVD. No, it's certainly not high definition, but with proper setup, it *is* possible to enjoy the DVD presentation. The picture quality is quite "acceptable" on out 60" television. I can appreciate that any screens larger than 60" start to get really ugly at DVD resolution. Playing them in a Blu-ray player seems to smooth out some of the jaggies.

Bottom line, I'd love these two series to get upgrades, but I'm not crying and complaining about the DVDs. They're serviceable - and I can enjoy them.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
We're currently in the midst of rewatching VOYAGER on DVD. No, it's certainly not high definition, but with proper setup, it *is* possible to enjoy the DVD presentation. The picture quality is quite "acceptable" on out 60" television. I can appreciate that any screens larger than 60" start to get really ugly at DVD resolution. Playing them in a Blu-ray player seems to smooth out some of the jaggies.

Bottom line, I'd love these two series to get upgrades, but I'm not crying and complaining about the DVDs. They're serviceable - and I can enjoy them.

Agreed.
Finished voyager the other night. Really enjoyed the series. Will move on to ds9 in the new year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks