What's new

Star Trek DS9 on Blu-Ray -- Remain Ever Hopeful Thread (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Jason_V said:
I think it's going to be a little backward for DS9, in relation to getting people into the show.  New viewers will hit the last 2 years of DS9-or watch Trials and Tribble-ations-and work toward the end of the show.  They'll get involved with what's going on and want to see how it started, thereby going back to the earlier episodes.
At least that's how I'd see it.
There's also an issue with episodic vs. serialized shows.  Trek had been (and would be) largely episodic.  That wasn't really the norm at the time, with exceptions.  Today, serialized is more popular and more entrenched in our media.  Maybe that bias will go away in the next 10 years or so and open the series to new fans?
or they'll become deeply invested in the penultimate season...and then gnash their teeth when Terry Farrell leaves the show unexpectedly and a major story line falls apart damaging the final season! Still makes me grumbly...
I haven't watched DS9 since it aired, and then I didn't start until Worf joined the crew. But I think I'd enjoy rewatching this now, even more than TNG, which has even my favorite.
Maybe I can get it for my wife for Christmas or a birthday :)

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I have always seen DS9 as one 175-episode story (minus "Profit & Lace," an hour of my life I will never get back). Viewed as a whole, it is the best ST ever created. Viewed as individual episodes, it can be difficult to approach, in my opinion.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by DaveF /t/322270/star-trek-ds9-on-the-radar-for-blu-ray#post_3983768
or they'll become deeply invested in the penultimate season...and then gnash their teeth when Terry Farrell leaves the show unexpectedly and a major story line falls apart damaging the final season! Still makes me grumbly...
I haven't watched DS9 since it aired, and then I didn't start until Worf joined the crew. But I think I'd enjoy rewatching this now, even more than TNG, which has even my favorite.
Maybe I can get it for my wife for Christmas or a birthday

I may be petty, but I will not forgive Farrell for leaving. After staying with the show for six years, she bails with 26 episodes left. 26 freaking episodes. It makes no sense to me why someone does that. I do get a little sense of glee that Becker is a minor footnote in sitcom history.

Again, terribly petty. I know.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I agree it hurt the show. I hate it too. But to say a word in Ms. Farrell's defense, I think she had an opportunity for long-term work that she might not have had a year later. People want to hire people who are working, not people who are out of work. One could always fault Paramount for not getting her to sign a 7-year-contract from the outset.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I could fault Paramount since they probably should have signed everyone to seven (not six) year deals. However, when the rest of the cast signs for the extra year, why be "that person"? See, Trek is a meal ticket. It always has been. How many other "big" roles did Leonard Nimoy have in his career? Any of the TNG actors? Not a ton (some are directors and behind the scenes folks), but Trek is what they are known for. Instead of being part of that DS9 cast, people are always going to think of her as the one who didn't resign.

Everyone from TNG resigned for the last year. All but one from DS9 did. The creative talent behind the camera all returned for S7 of DS9. Farrell could have worked something out in the deal which allowed her to take time off for movies or another project like Colm Meaney.

That's just where I stand. If I was hiring and Farrell was on the audition list, the strike against her (for me) would be not sticking with a project she was a part of from the beginning. Luckily, I don't get to cast anything!

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
I liked her on Becker, didn't she though, get kicked off of it for the final season?

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Carabimero said:
I have always seen DS9 as one 175-episode story (minus "Profit & Lace," an hour of my life I will never get back). Viewed as a whole, it is the best ST ever created. Viewed as individual episodes, it can be difficult to approach, in my opinion.
Testify!

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston

Originally Posted by Carabimero /t/322270/star-trek-ds9-on-the-radar-for-blu-ray#post_3983774
This is one reason I never got into it. It was like a soap opera, which I detest, whether daytime or night. I'm trying again via net flix but it's painful to get through the first season. I know it gets better later on with some stellar episodes but I'm having a hard time getting there.

Everyone has their opinion but the original is still THE one.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
If I was stranded somewhere and could only take one ST series, it would be the original, because of nostalgia. But if I want to be fully engaged in ST, emotionally, intellectually, DS9 as a whole is the best game in town.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Count me in if there is a release. I will shock everyone and state this the only Star Trek series I own and bought it last year. I do loveTNG and would like to get it too. Money is always a factor at this time of year. I have all the Star Trek movies in BD as well with a few exceptions. Not a soap to me DS9. I went into a big converstion about all the series DS9 with folks while we waited in line for tickets to the first of the last filmed Star War Movies in 1999. Sure was fun to listen to everyone and their views on each series.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Bumping this thread, as TNG winds down on blu-ray (only two seasons left) and Enterprise finishes up in April. DS9 is the logical show to be next, and while it seems like it could happen, it is not a sure thing.

http://trekcore.com/blog/2013/05/deep-space-nine-in-high-definition-one-step-closer/

There is also a lengthy discussion at the TrekToday BBS on the subject, and the point is made that the use of more CGI in DS9 and Voyager make transitioning those shows to HD more difficult that TNG.

Still hopeful we hear something on DS9 this year.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Sam. I'm sure DS9 is headed for Blu-Ray. Paramount treats their Trek fans right, and I can't wait until the announcement comes for season 1.

My favorite Trek series:

6-Voyager. Good idea, but many, many poor episodes bring this to the bottom for me. The main theme from Goldsmith is epic, and my favorite of any Trek..

5-Enterprise: Love the concept, but some of the actors just don't do it for me. Bakula was right when he said the "chemistry just wasn't there".

4-The Animated Series: Original voice actors bring life to this cartoon. Great ideas and stories.

3-DS9: I love the character development, and story arcs.

2-The Original Series. Amazing series. Of course the most iconic, but the set designs, actors, and lots of great classic episodes are the reason it qualifies for one of the greatest television series ever.

1-The Next Generation. I love seasons 1-5, and I'll own the last two just for the sake of completion. But Brannon Braga is as useful to the series as a Broken glass in an inflatable life raft. I can't express enough how terrible storyteller he is. Seasons 6, and 7 are littered with his crud, and almost made me despise the series. That being said, the first 5 seasons are pure gold and a an almost perfect series. My favorite Star Trek.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sam Favate said:
Bumping this thread, as TNG winds down on blu-ray (only two seasons left) and Enterprise finishes up in April. DS9 is the logical show to be next, and while it seems like it could happen, it is not a sure thing.

http://trekcore.com/blog/2013/05/deep-space-nine-in-high-definition-one-step-closer/

There is also a lengthy discussion at the TrekToday BBS on the subject, and the point is made that the use of more CGI in DS9 and Voyager make transitioning those shows to HD more difficult that TNG.

Still hopeful we hear something on DS9 this year.
But, the article you posted said that the original files still probably mostly existed, the digital model makers "overbuilt" the models, so by just loading them and hitting "render" the old files come out looking damn near HD ready.

So that would make DS9 MORE likely to come out in HD since a lot of the work from the original run seems to be salvageable for HD with only minor tweaks.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I heard they might do a collection of the best episodes. The problem with that is 1) most ST fans are completists and 2) they rarely pick the episodes that *I* think are the best.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Carabimero said:
I've said from day one the complete DS9 won't be done in HD (I hope I am wrong). I heard they might do a collection of the best episodes, however.
A "best of collection" would be terrible. Better to have nothing!

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Carabimero said:
I heard they might do a collection of the best episodes. The problem with that is 1) most ST fans are completists and 2) they rarely pick the episodes that *I* think are the best.
3) DS9 is more based on an overall story arc then TNG, which can be seen as just individual episodes. As a result, a best of set removes the basic concept of DS9.

DS9 probably won't sell quite as well as TNG so unless the work required is much...much greater I don't see how this doesn't happen. Any Star Trek series not transferred to HD will eventually be left behind and lost from future syndication. Star Trek is too big a franchise to let this happen.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
smithbrad said:
DS9 probably won't sell quite as well as TNG so unless the work required is much...much greater I don't see how this doesn't happen. Any Star Trek series not transferred to HD will eventually be left behind and lost from future syndication. Star Trek is too big a franchise to let this happen.
That has always been my contention. CBS has TOS, TNG and ENT ready to go in HD for the future. They can most likely easily get TAS done. They're not going to do little over half the franchise. It may take longer to get DS9 and VOY out the door-two releases a year-but they will get done. There's no way CBS is so shortsighted to destroy what could be 700+ episodes to sell into future syndication/streaming.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Jason_V said:
That has always been my contention. CBS has TOS, TNG and ENT ready to go in HD for the future. They can most likely easily get TAS done. They're not going to do little over half the franchise. It may take longer to get DS9 and VOY out the door-two releases a year-but they will get done. There's no way CBS is so shortsighted to destroy what could be 700+ episodes to sell into future syndication/streaming.
Or whatever sell thru..DigitalHD etc that will be coming.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks