What's new

Stand for NHT 1.5 used as surround? (1 Viewer)

Khaled_H

Grip
Hi,
I just bought a pair of NHT 1.5 to use as surround to match my fronts NHT 2.9. I have been using a pair of paradigm Atoms as surround before. I currently have 5.1 setup with the surrounds on the side on a pair of adjustable stands. Now the adjustable stands I am using are made by furnitureworks and I am not sure if they are strong enough to give reasonable support for NHT 1.5's (Atoms were much smaller). Can anyone recommend a good pair of stands for the 1.5's when used as surounds.
Thanks in advance for any input/help.
Khaled

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
Khaled,
I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out you bought them at Laserland Home Theater :) but at any rate they have a good selection of stands. I don't remember which model I got for my NHT VS-2a but it's a very sturdy 30" stand that will easily handle 1.5s. I would recommend talking to Doug, I've had very good experience dealing with him.
Good luck,
Dmitry

Khaled_H

Grip
Dmitry,
Thanks for the pointer. I will check out Laseland. Actually I bought them online from 6th Avenue. They had a deal that was too good to pass. Are you using VS2a as surround? Is 30" is tall enough to use them as surround. I heard that you need to have surround at least 1-2' about your ears.
Thanks again,
Khaled

I actually has stands that are custom made for the 1.5s
You know the shape is custom cut so that the support is cut the same as the nht shape. It also can be filled with sand.
I paid about $150 for it.
Drop me a mail if you're interested and I prolly can give you their phone number and all.

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
Khaled,
how you position surrounds is entirely up to you. Sure, there are canonical ways but I prefer (for the 5.1 sources) the direct positioning with tweeter about 6" above the ear level. That's what 30" stands with VS-2a give me. I listened to dipoles, high mounted monopoles, etc. and came out with the conclusion that my setup is the one I like best. So you should figure out what YOU prefer, not what I recommend :) and act upon it. Keep in mind, that stands higher than 30" are usually designed for smaller speakers so if you want much higher than that, you'll probably have to take the custom route as Howard suggested. $150 for a custom made pair sounds pretty good.
Good luck and enjoy -- 1.5 is a great speaker!
--Dmitry

Khaled_H

Grip
Dmitry,
I totally agree that I need to play with the height to find out what works best for me. I did drop by Laserland yesterday, and saw some studio tech that looked pretty good.
Howard,
I would be interested in the custom stands that you mentioned. I will drop a line to get more info.
Thanks,
Khaled

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks