What's new

Square's Guardians of the Galaxy (2 Viewers)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Personally not really too interested in this in general, but I think it's pretty awesome that they're taking this huge franchise and making it a single-player offline-only game.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
This was not at all what I expected. I'm kind of burned out on the GOTG schick, but this presentation has me intrigued. From what I hear, GOTG was always intended as a single-player experience and wasn't some last-minute pivot due to the critical reaction to The Avengers. But I'm sure the existence of The Avengers makes marketing this new game much harder.

I enjoyed The Avengers more than most people (I only played the campaign), but the "service" aspects of the design infected the rest of the game by filling it with loot and repetitive grind. If they had designed it as a single player campaign, they could have given players a more satisfying experience, with better pacing and a more diverse range of enemies, environments, and weapons. Hoping the Black Panther expansion leans into this.

For the GOTG presentation, they hammered home the "you play as one character in this single-player offline game" more than once. It shows where the expectations around games like this. It was especially interesting to see the Telltale-style "Rocket will remember this" narrative design, complete with radical dialogue wheels. I wonder how meaningful those choices will be?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks