What's new

Spider-Man 2 DVD Reviews - when? (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Obviously 2.40:1 is slightly wider than 2.35:1, but my point is that the difference is so incredibly small that I find it difficult to believe someone could tell the difference with the naked eye. Minority Report comes listed at a 2.39:1 ratio, BTW.

Tony_Ramos

Second Unit
sorry to disagree with all of you, but the REAL issue here is not "which one you should buy" but the fact that,

THERE IS NO TECHNICAL REASON FOR THE SUPERBIT TO LOOK BETTER THAN THE SPECIAL EDITION.

Take a look at that special edition disc. It has a low bitrate, edge enhancement, other artifacts, and excessive filtering.

This *could* be understandable were it sharing space with special features, but it's not. Nor is it an overly long movie. Also, other movies with more commentary tracks show superior quality to this one.

The real travesty here is not that you have to buy one or two copies, or that "the standard version looks good enough," but that neither copy looks as good as it could.

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp

So for Spider-Man 2 if the 4k digital files were the source for both the film and the DVD, then we aren't really talking about "tranfer" quality then, are we? We are just talking about "filtering, downres, and compression" quality, although that is a mouthful.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Of course it's not reference. Columbia/Tri-Star has edge-enhanced all their scope films from the get-go!! I don't know why they can't stop. Maybe as some have said before it's because they won't upgrade their equipment. I mean they're only Sony where would they ever get new gear?:)

The old rule was they left their 1.85:1 films alone and EE's the 2.35:1 (usually to a much lesser degree than other stuidos were doing at the time). Unfortunately, I'm betting they've upped the EE on non-Superbit titles since SB came around so that they could dial it back for the SB and yield a substantially better picture.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Just further evidence of how far Columbia has fallen relative to other studios like Warner, Fox, and Paramount.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Amazing since they started out so strong. Anamorphic widescreen titles right off the bat. Their reputation for strong starts could help them out in the Blu-Ray/HD-DVD format war, but will we want them to be the only HD optical disc provider in the long-run?

I sincerely hope they do away with all EE when they start mastering HD material. Hopefully they'll finally see it as unnecessary when dealing with higher resolution displays.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Believe me tony, you're not the only one saying that. I've ranted to great lengths about the scam that is Superbit in this thread, believe me. Or don't and just check a few pages earlier for my posts. :)

T r o y

Supporting Actor
Picked up the superbit at BB yesterday. And watched it last night. With a scaled image of 720P thru SDI output, I did notice some softness in the image. And a tad on the
orange side for the fleshtones.
All in All , not a bad transfer. The DTS was amazing!

I sure can't wait til the High DEF DVd's start hitting shelves. I would love to see what this title will look like in high def :)

Out a here!
Troy

Bill Blank

Stunt Coordinator
I picked up the Superbit version at Best Buy ($14.99) this weekend and will be using as demo material, it looks and sounds that good IMO.

Bill

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
My guess was they boosted the Spidey colors (red and blue) in the film's color palette accounting for the somewhat odd flesh tones and overall coloring of the movie. Seemed to be the same way with Spidey 1.

Ever since Blade, you just HAVE to do something with the colors of your superhero movie.:)

Oh, it certainly isn't, but whoever's doing the mastering on those 12" studio monitors seems to think otherwise unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks