What's new

Speakers around the $4500 range (1 Viewer)

Anny Chien

Agent
Looking for some speakers from 2000-4500 range. So far I've considered

Silverline Audio sonatina mk2
ProAc response 2.5
Audio Physic Virgo 2 or 3
B&W N804
Newform Research 65
Sonus faber amator 3
Sonus faber grand pianos
Revel F30
Merlin TSM-SE

So far, since silverline audio is near me I can get a better deal. The B&Ws high end was a little bright, but love the midrange, Newform Reasearch sounded alright but the build quality was medicore, Sonus grand piano sounded very neutral, Revel F30s which sounds similar to N804s but better, haven't listened to the audio physics, proac, Merlin, amator. What other speakers should I add to the list?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Mike_Ch

Stunt Coordinator
Not sure about the pricing in the States, but consider also the Dynaudio Contour line, namely the Countour 3.0's and even better (if you don't need ultimate bass extension or don't mind standmounts) the Countour 1.3SE's. Sell for around US$2.5K where I live and really excellent sound quality. Also some Thiel's, Martin Logan's and Magneplanar 3.6's. Not sure where you live, but if you're anywhere near Australia, then consider also VAF Signature series, Whatmough Signature, Osbourne, Ambience Ribbons and Duntech. Really, it depends on your room size, other ancillary equipment and listening tastes.

Cheers,
Mike

You might also like to give the Meadowlark Shearwater Hotrods a try. And JMlab dealers are doing some aggressive pricing on the Utopia line since the manufacturer is coming out with some new models soon. A pair of their stand-mounters might be in your range.

Personally, I'd be very interested in the Sonus Faber Electa Amator. Those are gorgeous speakers in every way. I just heard a pair a couple of weeks ago.

Brandon Blair

Stunt Coordinator
Two more I would consider.
1) JM Lab Electra 926 (retail $4000)
2) JM Lab Mini Utopia (retail $5000, on special for $4000)
Link Removed
Good Luck,
Brandon

Kevin T

Screenwriter
i'll third the thiel speakers. the cs2.3 are in your price range. if you decide to purchase used, i've seen the cs6 at the top end of your price range as well. happy hunting!

kevin t

mark rush

Stunt Coordinator
you might look at Legacy Audio, they make some very nice speakers, the signature III 5-way is nice also the classic is another, you might even look at the Paradigm studio100 a nice speaker that is in your price range and have some money left over for a center and sub

RichardH

Supporting Actor
Want serious accuracy?? Why not look into a pair of Genelecs w/ matching sub. This is what professional engineers mix on. What better way to hear the music?

John A. Casler

Second Unit
I'm getting a pair of VMPS RM40s in a week and I can't imagine any other speakers, in this price range that might sound better from top to bottom.
These replace a pair of Legacy Signature IIIs (just sold)that were excellent, but not in the same league.
Only problem might be size, since they are 66" high.
These might be considered against $20,000 to $30,000 speaker systems and picked more often than not.
List to $4600 but street for slightly less.
Check out some owners discussion here:
http://www.harmonicdiscord.com/forum...forum.php?f=22
Regards,
John

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
I have to say B&W. Also check out Martin Logan and Magnepan. Up until last night I would have said Thiel. I briefly auditioned a pair of 1.6s couple of months ago and really liked them. Yesterday after work, I arranged to bring a pair home for the weekend. I found that I just had to turn them off after about half an hour. They present a fantastic image, great soundstaging, very revealing, but I just found them to fatigue my ears. I could never see myself being able to relax while listening to them. My wife had to leave the room they bothered her so much. I'll be sticking with my Maggies for now.

Kevin T

Screenwriter
alex:

not that it's my place to defend the thiel's but i'm suprised by your comments. were the 1.6's fully broken in? i demoed the 1.6 and the 2.3 and the 2.3 definitely bettered the 1.6 in my opinion. i know many people say that thiels are very revealing and can be harsh. i did not encounter this in my demo and it was using adcom amp / pre / and the sony scd-ce775 changer.

kevin t

george king

Supporting Actor
You might want to try the new Kef Reference 203's or the Soliloquy 6.3. Both are very nice speakers. Another option might be the AAD 2001 bookshelf at $3.5k.

Hope this helps.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Kevin,

I was surprised myself. After the first time I'd listened to them I was sure they would be my next pair of speakers. The ones I brought home were broken in, the dealer I borrowed them from brought them in for evaluation as another possible line. The owner broke them in before doing his evaluation.

I should note that there was a big difference in the equipment used and component synergy may well play a big role. When I first auditioned them at the dealer they were being powered by a McIntosh preamp and power amp (C42 and MC 202) and a Sony ES CD player, I don't remember which model. My system consists of Adcom preamp and power amp and a Rega Planet CD player.

If I could afford to run out and drop $10k for everything at once I'd do it. Unfortunately, I need speakers that I can live with using my existing electronics until I can upgrade them as well.

The 2.3s are really a completely different speaker than the 1.6s. I would expect the combined tweeter and midrange of the 2.3 to give a much different sound than the tweeter in the 1.6.

Anyhow, I can appreciate that the 1.6s are a very good, revealing speaker. They're just not the right speaker for me.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Also check out Martin Logan and Magnepan.
Amen Alex, one of the all time great bargains are the Maggie 3.6s at $4,200.

With the right amplification, you are hard pressed to do better, particularly in the mids and highs. And they are built very well, mostly by hand, and supported by a long-standing high end company in Minnesota. The dealer support I have received over the years from them (and this has been minimal) is fantastic!

Audition a pair with good amps and I think you will be impressed. I've had Maggies for over 15 years.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Why not look into a pair of Genelecs w/ matching sub. This is what professional engineers mix on.
Hate to be disagreeable but these things sound terrible. The fact that a lot of engineers use them is more often considered a negative - have you heard recent pop recordings? ouch!
Most good engineers use high end two ways for listening to playback on. I work with people at Chesky, Telarc and Reference Recordings and they purposefully avoid mainstream studio monitors. The only exception is that certain B&W monitors can be set up to sound fine.
One example of the trouble you can get into with the pro route...
Once we were recording McCoy Tyner and some big RCA engineers came into the studio and were impressed with our sound. They asked what monitors we were using at the time which I think were the Swiss Reference 3As and two of them said we should be using more mediocre speakers since that is what the public listens to! Interesting and in some alternative universe perhaps a valid view, but we stated we were all about accuracy in reproducing the session exactly as it sounded.
I'll get off my soapbox now. :)

John A. Casler

Second Unit
John, I am always suspicious of statements like these.
Do you write audio brochures for a living?
Hi Lee,
No, the statement is based on hearing the various systems in that category, and also the fact that the system was selected as "Best of Show -CES" in Las Vegas last year against systems of that worth.
Link Removed
http://www.vmpsaudio.com/dc6.htm
If you want me to make a really outrageous statement, if you add two LARGER Subs ($1800 + AMPS) I would put these up against most any system under $75,000!!!:D
I'll have a new pair in a week or two and if you're in LA, let me know. But if you get a chance make sure and get a listen somewhere.
But' I'm not going to quit my day job to write brouchures:)
All the best,
John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satimis
Recent bookmarks