What's new

Pre-Order South Pacific (1958) 65th Anniversary Edition (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Artwork TBA

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

SwatDB

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Brynskov
There was actually plastered Samuel Goldwyn titles on the 1983 CBS/FOX VHS to cover up the original 35mm General Release titles: (Yes, I know the film is originally filmed in Todd-AO)

"Distributed by
Twentieth Century-Fox Film Corporation", Formerly present on the 1981 MGM/CBS VHS, then later retained on the 1990 CBS/FOX VHS.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
This seems more like a placeholder than an actual listing. Its allegedly coming out in five weeks. There's no art. And when did Goldwyn ever distribute a blu-ray?

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
So how is this going to be different from the Blu-ray of South Pacific I already own?
I bought the 50th Anniversary BD...how is this any different? 4K restoration? Road show Edition? Directors Cut?
I'm not trying to be sarcastic...I truly would love to know the studios thinking here? What are they offering us here that is better than the last release of the same loved title?

Attachments

• 81vtwVH3DsL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg
    81vtwVH3DsL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 16

SwatDB

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Brynskov
I bought the 50th Anniversary BD...how is this any different? 4K restoration? Road show Edition? Directors Cut?
I'm not trying to be sarcastic...I truly would love to know the studios thinking here? What are they offering us here that is better than the last release of the same loved title?
A 4K UHD of the General Release Version would do the trick and then you'd have to use the same BD disc for the Extended Roadshow Version, but what if they'd make lossless 4.0 and 2.0 tracks *, rather than DD tracks (Dolby Digital)

* Since I'm a purist the 4.0 track on the Roadshow Version is the error free track, towards the end of "Bali Ha'i (Short Reprise) where you can hear Billis crack bones the 5.1 and 2.0 track (since I'm suspicious for a 2.0 downmix of the 5.1 track) the bone cracks have been reduced in volume if you have sharp ears.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
The only thing that made me actually start to like this movie, was the wretched remake Glenn Close did for television. I still, mostly hate it. All that great location scenery ruined, and completely uninspired staging of musical numbers. As if everyone has one foot spiked into the sand. Like they didn't realize they were making a motion picture. My Fair Lady suffers the same fate, imo, and is even worse. At least SP went on location. Both are enormously popular, so there you go. It does have magnificent orchestrations, though. Still, if this were a 4K release of a restored Road Show, I'd buy it. Otherwise, a hard pass. I'll never buy MFL.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
What you are referring to is the original cut which is available although unrestored on the BD release.
That version also has an appalling commentary track which is an embarrassment .
However it is good that this original cut has survived.
The second print the Dominion showed was the cut now standard version.

edelweissflower

Supporter
Real Name
STEPHEN COWLEY
No its not what my parents saw in London I have that version on BD so I know which one you mean, No they saw the European print which starts as I said like it does in the stage version with after the plane with Joe Cable flying it goes straight to Emile's plantation terrace so that version starts with Rossano Brazzi and Mitzi Gaynor I think it starts with the children singing Dites Moi as per the soundtrack album prior to that actually goes straight into the terrace scene with songs Cockeyed Optimist; Twin Soliloquies and then into 'Some enchanted Evening' then at the end he sings 'Dites Moi' again with the children and then it cuts to the beach scene with the sailors singing 'Blood Mary' The US cut which was the Roadshow version I know was found here in the UK and sent to the states. This is a third version of it I'm talking about.
So there is or was at least three versions of the film the US cut Roadshow version, which was cut down to the theatrical print and a European version which was shown in the UK and Europe.

edelweissflower

Supporter
Real Name
STEPHEN COWLEY
You are right.
The "restored" version on the second disc is not what you refer to.
It's been so long since I watched it I presumed that it was the version you recall and not just 14 mins of extra footage following the same continuity as the regular version.
I too saw what your parents saw when I first saw South Pacific at the Dominion in Todd-AO at the end of September 1960.
Would love to see it again but we would be very lucky to get even the regular version in 4k let alone this special cut.
Yes I think what my parents saw in 1958/9 and what you saw in 1960 must have been the 'best' cut of the film probably as near to director Joshua Logan director's cut as you will get I know in interviews he was highly involved in this so called 'European' version as he said 'the entire cost of the whole film was paid back at that one theatre in London' it popularity as my parents said was enormous.

edelweissflower

Supporter
Real Name
STEPHEN COWLEY
So South Pacific is to be released again on Blu Ray for its 65th anniversary and Oklahoma! in a Platinum Edition on 31st October 2023, so what is happening? this version of South Pacific is being released by Samuel Goldwyn films I see.
Any comments or ideas folks?

edelweissflower

Supporter
Real Name
STEPHEN COWLEY
Yes my parents so that print of 'South Pacific' at the Dominion in London in 1959 it was the European print totally different to the US print, The film starts after the credits, as it did on the stage at Emile's plantation terrace, not on the beach with the sailors singing 'Bloody Mary' and contained a lot more, according to my parents' memories, than did the US print. I have always wondered where the European print went? did it survive? If it did I would love to see it.

fil

edelweissflower

Supporter
Real Name
STEPHEN COWLEY
The Dominion used two prints for their 4 year run.
The original longer cut and then the shorter version which used the overture.
Not sure when they changed.
When the original version was shown, South Pacific immediately started with the titles (no overture)straight after the
"crash "at the end of the Miracle of Todd-AO.
House lifts remained off.
Great showmanship
my parents remember that, they saw it in 1958/9 , it was the European print, after the credits, it begins as it does on the stage with Emile's plantation terrace, not as in the US print with the sailors and Bloody Mary down on the beach, they said it contained much more than the US print I wonder what happened to the print ? did it survive? would love to see it if it did.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
You are right.
The "restored" version on the second disc is not what you refer to.
It's been so long since I watched it I presumed that it was the version you recall and not just 14 mins of extra footage following the same continuity as the regular version.
I too saw what your parents saw when I first saw South Pacific at the Dominion in Todd-AO at the end of September 1960.
Would love to see it again but we would be very lucky to get even the regular version in 4k let alone this special cut.

edelweissflower

Supporter
Real Name
STEPHEN COWLEY
It seems from what I have read that Samuel Goldwyn Films have purchased South Pacific 1958 Oklahoma! 1955 from the owners Rodgers & Hammerstein and Concord who had the rights to these films and also the 1998 filmed stage production of Oklahoma with Hugh Jackman. so it seems to me it will be them who you will need to ask about 4K releases of these films, and nothing to do with Disney who acquired 20th Century Fox , I had a feeling this would happen as both the feature films were at the time produced by Rodgers & Hammerstein themselves, what I would like to know is do they have the extras cut out of both the theatrical and Roadshow prints? in particular the full version of 'I'm gonna wash that man' as per the soundtrack album which has never been in either.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks