Sony vs Samsung vs LG

Discussion in 'Displays' started by vikram404, Oct 4, 2013.

1. vikram404

vikram404 Auditioning

I am trying to decide betwee the following TV Models in the starting range of the 55 inch segment of 3D LED TVs. Please let me know your recommendation between the 3 models from each of the brands.

(I am mentioning the Asian Model names - I guess the models have similar names across countries.)

1. SONY KDL 55W800A
    2. Samsung UA55F6400AR
    3. LG 55LA6200

The main uses of the TV would be Blu-Ray Movie Watching, Watching video content from Media Players and occasional 3D Content. I might also buy a PS4 later this year - so bit of gaming as well.

Thanks in Advance,
    Vikram

2. Richard V

Richard V Cinematographer

Richard
    I would go with the Sammy, but I admit I'm biased. Never cared for Sony HD TV's.

3. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    I would buy a plasma. If you still can.

4. vikram404

vikram404 Auditioning

Thanks for the quick response.

Based on reading some online articles I gather that the SmartHub is not too useful - so essentially the Internet Services/features seem more of a gimmick than of real use on either brand. I've kind of eliminated LG now and still deciding between the Sony and Samsung.

When I saw the two TVs next to each other I felt the colors on the Sony looked richer...but maybe with some settings change on the Sammy I could get the same levels.

Is Micro-dimming on the Sammy a big differentiator? Any specific reason to go with Sammy (apart from the bias) :huh:

5. Richard V

Richard V Cinematographer

Richard
    For me, at least to my eye, the Sammy has a sharper, brighter picture than the Sony. Sony TV's have always looked a bit fuzzy. As far as the advice for the plasma, it's a personal choice. The plasma does have a rich color and just crushes blacks, better than anything else, but side by side, the LED has a brighter picture than plasma, and is more appealing to me. It's a personal choice, whatever looks best to your eye.