What's new

Sony STR-DA4ES impressions (1 Viewer)

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
I have had the 4ES for a few days now and I thought that I would share some of my impressions, as a follow-up to my previous thread comparing the virtues of the 4ES and 5ES receivers. I will not try to go into the gory details of its sound quality, because I haven't had it long enough to make such judgements.
First impressions[*]This is a heavy beast. The boxed weight is 24 kg (53 lbs) and the receiver itself weighs in at about 44 lbs (according to the manual's specs). It is also large (deep). It nearly does not fit into my cabinet. The power transformer could not be a fraction of an inch larger and still fit inside this thing. The power supply capacitors are physically huge, 15000 uF ones. [*]The front panel is of course made of black-anodised aluminum, like most ES components. The buttons have a nice clickly feel to them - they don't press too easily, but are not diffucult to press either; rather, they offer nice tactile feedback. The function and jog dials have nice tactile feedback when turning them as well. The volume dial is like a jog-dial now, in contrast to earlier ES receivers. It rotates (smoothly) through 360 degrees. The benefit of this is that it has "acceleration" like the mouse on your computer. move it slowly, and the volume increases very slowly, 0.5 dB at a time. Move it more quickly and the rate increases. A quick counter-clockwise spin of only 1/4 turn or less will turn the volume down completely. Spin it slowly and it will take several turns to go minimum to maximum or back. You can also adjust the volume by remote in 0.5 dB steps rather than the "step-size" of the motor that turns the volume dial, as on receivers with a motorised volume dial. The remote's volume also accelerates; hold down the up or down button, and it adjusts slowly at first, then gradually increases the pace.[*]The power cord is removable (read: upgradable) and uses a standard connector, like the one that computer power cords use. The back panel also has two switch AC outlets to connect equipment that cannot be turned on/off via remote (like my Sony SCD-CE775 SACD player).[/list]User Experience/Interface:[*]The two-line display is bright and easy to read. It, like the display on all Sony components, is a vaccuum-flourescent display rather than cheap LEDs or LCDs. The result is a very sharp, bright blue-ish white display that has excellent contrast and is very readable. The display can be set to any of several modes to show whatever information you are most interested in.[*]When adjusting the volume, the display shows the setting for a couple seconds, then reverts back to your prefferred setting.[*]Whenever a new source starts playing, the display cycles through several pieces of information, including the type of source (PCM, dts, DD, and number of channels), sampling rate, decoding mode (DPL, DPL-II, dts NEO:6, etc.), DSP Soundfield, etc., then reverts back to your prefferred setting.[*]Spinning the jog dial (or pressing the cursor buttons)will scroll a list of useful information about the current source, including format (PCM, dts, etc.), bitrate, number of channels, discrete/matrix, bit depth, etc. Unlike the 5ES, the firmware version is not shown.[*]The on-screen display is useful. Setting the Equaliser via the on-screen display will be a breakthrough moment for some people, who have a hard time understanding the "frequency" and "width" parameters of Sony's parametric EQ. The resulting EQ curve is shown graphically on the on-screen display, and seeing it change as parameters are changed can be an "AHA!" moment for those accustomed to "graphic" equalisers.[/list]Remote[*]What were they thinking? The remote is unintuitive and requires a lot of clicking and scrolling to perform all but the most common functions. Once you get used to it, it can be nice to not have all those buttons there, but some buttons just should be on a remote, like number buttons. With this remote, you have to pick the numbers from a scrolling list in order to "type" them. E.G.: You want to change to disc 145 of your jukebox CD player. You press ">" to get to the sub menu, scroll to "disc" and press. You press ">" to get to the numbers menu and press for "1", scroll to 4 and press, scroll to 5 and press. You now scroll to enter and press. The CD player changes discs. Sheesh.[*]The LCD is nice and easy to read with the backlight on. With the backlight off, it is nearly impossible to read. The backlight comes on even if you press a button that does not require the display, like Play or ">>". It stays on for several seconds. I wonder what the battery life will be like.[*]No learning. This is contrary to most reseller's claims. It is not a learning remote, and it is not a 2-way remote either. I even cracked it open, and have confirmed that it does not have any IR receiver of any kind in it (I am an Electrical Engineer... I would know). No learning. No 2-way.[*]Very limited macros. Not too useful really.[*]I plan to primarily use a touchscreen LCD remote from a V555ES that I bought used. This remote is a 2-way remote, and the 4ES is compatible with Sony's 2-way remote system. Setup parameters, EQ settings, surround adjustments, etc. all show up in real time on the remote's display. Make a change to a setting (even on the receiver's panel or using another remote) and the new setting is displayed on the 2-way remote's screen. Very, very slick! Another wonderful thing is the fact that the remote downloads and stores a list of all of the disc titles stored in my Sony megachanger and 5-disc CD/SACD changer. This is a big bonus for me as I have a fully loaded 400 disc changer, and trying to remember the locations of disc in that thing is impossible. I can choose a CD by name from a list, sorted alphabetically or by disc number. The remote will also download and display track names from discs that have CD-Text on them (relatively few do, BTW, but if you make CD-R's you can easily include CD-Text). Even if no track name is available, the remote tells you which track number is being played. It does the same for MiniDisc players, 5-disc CD changers, and SACD players too. The 2-way remote system received a lot of criticism, which is probably why most of the new ES receivers do not have one. I love it.[*]The 4ES' remote will be used in the 2nd room. It works great for that purpose.[/list]DSP[*]One of the big selling points of Sony receivers (for me) is their absolutely fabulous Digital Cinema Sound DSP modes. I was very dissappointed to see that many of the former DCS modes that I liked are no longer there! The only DCS modes available are the three "Cinema Studio EX" modes: A, B, and C. The "Virtual Multi-Dimension", "Virtual Multi-Rear", "Virtual Enhanced Surround A" (and B), and all "Semi-" modes are no longer available at all. They are gone. I used to use Virtual Multi-Dimension very often. I guess I won't be doing that any longer. The 5ES, does in fact retain all of those older DCS modes.[*]New DSP modes include a new 7-channel version of the Digital Concert Hall modes (A and B). These are somewhat analogous to the Cinema Studio EX modes, except these are used for music.[*]Pro-Logic II (Movie and Music modes) and dts NEO:6 (Cinema and Music modes) are available, but only under "Normal Surround". So, when decoding a 2-channel source into multi-channel using one of these modes, you cannot apply a Cinema Studio EX mode to the resulting multi-channel sound. Big bummer. Cinema Studio EX modes will use regular Pro-Logic to decode all 2-channel sources, and will use multi-channel sources directly. Pro-Logic cannot be de-activated for Cinema Studio EX (as it could be on the STR-V444ES and V555ES of two model-years ago).[*]In my setup, and to my ears, DPL-II music and dts NEO:6 music can do wonderful things. They are the only reason I did not pick up a V444ES a few months ago at a blowout price. (The 444 lacks them).[*]I have not yet had a chance to compare Pro-Logic II Movie and dts:Neo6 Cinema to regular Pro-Logic.[*]Decoding modes. The 4ES supports every multi-channel decoding mode available to date, including Dolby Digital EX, dts-ES (matrix and discrete), dts 96/24, Dolby Pro-Logic II, and dts NEO:6. Very few other receivers of any price currently support dts 96/24.[/list]Connectivity[*]One of the biggest selling points for me is the two multi-channel inputs. This allows me to connect both an SACD player and a DVD-audio player. The vast majority of other receivers out there have only one multi-channel input. The 4ES has one 5.1 channel input and one 7.1 channel input, and both are analog direct (no analog/digital/analog conversion). They can be accessed using a dedicated button on the front panel, or using the remote, or they can be assigned to one of the normal inputs. For example, if your DVD-audio player is connected to the DVD input, assign multi-channel input 1 to DVD. Then when you select DVD, the audio comes from the multi-channel input.[*]Downmixing in the analog domain for multi-channel inputs. If you have the sub set to "no", then the sub input of the multi-channel inputs is mixed (in the analog domain) into the two front speakers before going to the amplifier/pre-amp outputs. The same goes for the centre channel. And if you have the surround-back speakers set to "no", the surround-back L/R inputs (of the 7.1 input) are mixed into the surround L/R channels. This ensures that systems with fewer than 7 speakers plus sub will still reproduce all multi-channel sources correctly[*]Selectable +10 dB boost for the sub channel of multi-channel inputs. This is a very welcomed feature. It seems that not everyone agrees on the proper recording/playback level of the LFE/sub channel of "x.1" sources. So setting up your sub to reproduce DD/dts sources at the right volume may leave a distinctive lack of bass when playing back certain multi-channel sources (such as, but not necessarily: SACD, DVD-Audio, external decoders/processors, etc.). The +10 dB boost will correct for the -10 dB attenuation that some, but not all, multi-channel formats use for their sub channels. I remember an entire thread/rant in this forum about this issue. It is now a non-issue with the 4ES.[*]Six digital inputs including 2 coax, all assignable to any input source. Any input source (except tuner) can select a digital input. Then the receiver can be set to automatically pick the analog or digital input, or you can force any of the assigned inputs (optical, coax, or analog) to be used. This allows tremendous flexibility which is most welcome.[*]The second room A/V output works brilliantly. It has remote volume control, and the output is high enough to drive an amplifier directly (pre-amp standard of 2 V rather than line-out standard of 150 mV).[*]Full support for Sony S-Link (Control-A1II for audio and Control-S for video) to 'network' components together. This is required for neat features like displaying track and disc titles on a 2-way remote (a 2-way remote is not included, but the 4ES can use one).[/list]Sound Quality[*]As I mentioned, I haven't had it long enough to come to an informed opinion of the sound quality, but I can say that it instantly sounded better than my STR-DB830 that it replaced, even with the 830's claimed "ES quality" amplifier section.[/list]DissapointmentsI've mentioned some of these above, but I'll mention them and others again:[*]Fewer DCS DSP modes than any other Sony receiver. I will miss "Virtual Multi-Dimension".[*]Turning on A+B front speakers turns off all other speakers![*]Remote. No learning. No 2-way capability. Very few buttons (mixed blessing on that one actually), but should have number buttons at the least, otherwise controlling a TV with it is just too awkward.[*]Pro-LogicII or dts NEO:6 can not be used in conjuction with any DSP mode such as Cinema Studio EX. (looking into this, will confirm later).[*]No RDS (Radio Data Service) on the tuner for the North American model. Why not?[*]The EQ Does not have a "mid" band for the surround and surround-back speakers. Otherwise it is great.[*]Does not support downloading of Tuner station names into a 2-way remote, even though stations can be named. Strange.[/list]OverallWouldn't trade it for anything (except a STR-DA7ES ...drool)

NickSP

Supporting Actor
Aaron, thanks for that wonderful report/review on the DA4ES. I hope you would also give us your impressions on the sound quality. I also hope you can shed some light on a thread I started about EQ settings messing up my speaker calibrations.
I have a question regarding the "Digital Concert Hall" modes. Do they utilise all speakers in the setup or the back speakers are "Virtual" like some of the older DSPs used by Sony?
I decided to go with this unit because it has triggers for my external amps, Multiple EQ settings and future upgradability and of course, endless tweaking :D

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
regarding the "Digital Concert Hall" modes. Do they utilise all speakers in the setup or the back speakers are "Virtual" like some of the older DSPs used by Sony?
The Digital Concert Hall modes use all connected speakers (up to 7 plus sub). I believe that on previous receivers (5ES, 3ES) they used only up to 5 speakers plus sub.

Note that on the 4ES, you can easily tell which speakers are active, and what channels are being used/decoded, via the graphical representation of the speakers on the display. The outline of a speaker lets you know it is active. The letters let you know which channels are decoded. For example, when using Pro-Logic, you will see the "L", "C", "R", and "S" lit up to indicate that left, centre, right, and surround channels are in use (or being decoded). You will see outlines around the front L/R, centre, and surround L/R (plus the surround-back L/R if you use them) to indicate that those speakers are being used. If you switch to Pro-Logic II, you will notice that the "S" disappears, but the "SL" and "SR" light up, indicating that there are now two distinct surround channels being decoded. Similarly, switch to a dts NEO:6 mode, and the "SB" also lights up to indicate that now three distinct surround channels are being decoded.

Note that if you use only one surround-back speaker ("surround back L/R" set to "No") then that speaker is not used when playing back a DPL, DPL-II, or any 5.1 source. It will only be used when playing back a 6.1 source like DD-EX, dts-ES, or dts NEO:6 (plus possibly the Digital Concert Hall modes). If you use two surround-back speakers, then they will be used for all surround modes. The surround-back L/R will simply duplicate the respective surround L/R channel for any less-than-6.1 source.

Andrew Pierce

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Pierce
Awesome writeup:emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:. I just ordered a DA4ES of my very own today. Bummer about the remote, I was hoping it would be good enough to avoid having to buy a Pronto, sounds like there's a remote upgrade in my future as well. :frowning: Still, what fun would it be if we ran out of things to upgrade. At least I'll be set in the receiver department for a while.
I'm very much looking forward to playing with the DPLII and Neo:6 modes. I do have a couple of questions. Does the 4ES have a 4 or 6 channel stereo or equivalent mode -- you know, unprocessed stereo signals out of the mains and exactly the same out the appropriate surrounds? Or are the DPLII and Neo:6 modes equivalent or better? When you have the A+B selected, is the reason the other channels shut off because the receiver utilizes 2 additional amps to drive the mains, rather than driving both sets off of the 2 Front L/R amps only? There isn't an option to run 5.1 in zone 1 and reassign the 2 rear surrounds to power the zone 2 is there?
Thanks,
Andrew

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the great review! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
Overall
Wouldn't trade it for anything (except a STR-DA7ES ...drool)
Actually, the STR-DA7ES doesn't get you much more - other than a few watts per channel and a better remote. If you want the power, you could buy a nice separate amp. In regards to the remote, you could get a Sony RM-AV3000 which should give you many capabilities for controlling all your gear.

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
Actually, the STR-DA7ES doesn't get you much more - other than a few watts per channel and a better remote. If you want the power, you could buy a nice separate amp. In regards to the remote, you could get a Sony RM-AV3000 which should give you many capabilities for controlling all your gear.
Save yourself some cash and headaches and get the MX-500 remote for 119.00. The Sony remotes say they will work out of the box with Sony gear, but not as well as one would like. My MX-500 controls my entire DA5ES flawlessly, even the DSP's :D

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
Save yourself some cash and headaches and get the MX-500 remote for 119.00
Also not a two-way remote. If I was to go for anything, it would be a Pronto, as it is endlessly customisable to be any remote one wants.

In the end, the fact is that no one other than Sony makes a remote that will display the disc/track titles on its screen, or present you with a list of 400 (or 800) CD names to pick from.

Mark Davenport

Stunt Coordinator
Dear god what is Sony thinking? I have a V444ES and exclusively use Cinema Studio B for all material, Looks like I'll be keeping it another couple of years

"Pro-Logic cannot be de-activated for Cinema Studio EX (as it could be on the STR-V444ES and V555ES of two model-years ago)".

This is terrible as Cinema Studio with pro-logic on sounds terrible. With Pro-logic off Cinema Studio rivals Logic 7 on the Lexicon mc-12 I tried out. Why would Sony shoot them self like that?

"The EQ Does not have a "mid" band for the surround and surround-back speakers. Otherwise it is great."

Another feature I use heavily with the V444es I can configure every channel to sound any way I want to make up for room problems source problems or anything else.

1 year ago I bought a DA5ES to replace my V444es but took it back in a week after seeing all the stuff ripped out of it options wise. I read that the DA4ES had a similar DSP layout to the older models like the V444es but I guess not.

I love Sony ES equipment but if they continue to rip old features out for new ones the V444es will be my last receiver and I'll move to an Anthem AVR20 or save up for a Lexicon MC-12 for my next upgrade.

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
"The EQ Does not have a "mid" band for the surround and surround-back speakers. Otherwise it is great."

Another feature I use heavily with the V444es I can configure every channel to sound any way I want to make up for room problems source problems or anything else.
To make matters worse, Mark, the 4ES' "Surround EQ" has only Bass and Treble bands. No Mid as the V444 had. Oh, and did I mention that it also does not have seperate LFE Mix and dts LFE Mix controls like the V444? And that the single LFE Mix control that is there cannot be set higher that 0 dB?

I also like Cinema Studio EX B for music. I have found that turning off the centre channel speaker (so that the centre channel sound is mixed into the L/R speakers) improves it dramatically (for music specifically). It also sounds spectacular with dts CD's, or music DVD's with 5.1 soundtracks. Did you give the Digital Concert Hall modes a try for 2-channel music sources with the 5ES?

Mark Davenport

Stunt Coordinator
I think I tried it a few times and just went ehh, with the digital concert hall mode. I still went back to the cinema Studio modes. I just can't beleive Sony would cripple such a great feature.

The Cinema Studio Mode should be pushed through the roof by Sony it is spot on as good as Logic 7 and with the sony DSP you have as much felxibility with it is a $10,000 Lexicon MC-12.

That really sucks about the lack of MID in the "Surround" EQ I use that as well. The DA5es had Surround EQ completely missing though which I think was the straw that broke my back with that unit. The DA5ES was a tremendous downgrade from the V444ES and by the looks of it the DA4ES is also a downgrade.

Andrew Pierce

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Pierce
Aaron,

Mid bands - is there a reason you can't adjust the mid band by adjusting the high and low in the opposite direction?

Bass adjust not going up from 0db - isn't this a good thing? I mean to increase the bass level above 0db you're adding additional level of processing and/or amplification. To decrease it you're just attenuating the signal, which should involve less mucking with it. It's not like you can't set your sub volume up as high as it will need to be in any mode, then calibrate from there. Or am I missing something?

Charles R

Auditioning
Selectable +10 dB boost for the sub channel of multi-channel inputs. This is a very welcomed feature. It seems that not everyone agrees on the proper recording/playback level of the LFE/sub channel of "x.1" sources. So setting up your sub to reproduce DD/dts sources at the right volume may leave a distinctive lack of bass when playing back certain multi-channel sources (such as, but not necessarily: SACD, DVD-Audio, external decoders/processors, etc.). The +10 dB boost will correct for the -10 dB attenuation that some, but not all, multi-channel formats use for their sub channels. I remember an entire thread/rant in this forum about this issue. It is now a non-issue with the 4ES.
Thanks!

This is exactly what I need for my NS999ES DVD Player. And I missed it while playing around the last two days.

Alex Dydula

Stunt Coordinator
Hello,

I have a DA4ES SONY Receiver for two months now and have enjoyed its capabilites and in its price range ($640) it is an amazing piece of technology.

I don't think I will ever use all the modes and capabilites, but I have started exploring all the mix modes and listened to my first SACD after buying the cables for the multi-channel hook up....

The only dissapointment is the quality of the FM music over the air....never seems to be really good...guess I am to spoiled by those DDD Compact Discs...and now some of these SACDS are awesome.

The overall quality of this receiver is good, reading all the posts how SONY stuff is going downhill eetc...really doesnt ring true here at all....the remote took me ahwile to get the hang of it and I agree with most it could be improved and the manual that comes with the SONY stuff is also not very well done to my standards....with a remote like this there should be step by step examples that are clear and concise.

How about a DVD in the box with some videos explaining and showing a customer the bells and whistles??

Later
Alex

Mark Davenport

Stunt Coordinator
The main problem is if you used sony ES gear for a long time you've learned how to explout the millions of features they have. This is a good thing as a receiver is so flexable you can almost have it mimic the sound quality of any reciever. As time goes by features that a user could rely on are stripped out of the newer units or crippled to the point these features become useless.

This gets annoying as one eventually has to just not buy the Sony gear and move on to something else as eventually the features you depend on are eventually replaced by something something you can't use.

JackS

Supporting Actor
Mark- What specific features are you refering to? I'm not familiar with the current ES receivers but it would seem that many useful features have also been added. Many that have been added are those that allow the ES's to compete with other receivers, and some of the features that have been added set the ES's apart from the run of the mill. If there is a certain feature that you personally require and is no longer available on the Sony's, this would be an excellent reason to purchase another brand that has what you require. I hope my answer doesn't sound faceitious, it's certainly not meant to. I'm like you. If there's something I want, I will absolutly seek it out and make a decision from there. This is a great time to be in the market for a receiver and much better than at any other time that I can remember because of all the great choices we now have. Things are so good now it makes one wonder where we will be 5 years down the road. The video aspect also seems to be picking up and for the first time I'm now considering HD. Whoops, off the subject, Best of luck, Jack

Mark Davenport

Stunt Coordinator
Hi
that is the paradox of being a huge Sony ES fan for every new receiver release new features are added while features that are used heavily are removed.

In the V444es features I use that are removed in the DA4ES

Cinema Studio modes do not allow you to turn off Dolby Pro-logic. This is a killer as the cinema studio modes with pro-logic sound terrible. While the cinema studio modes without pro-logic rival's logic 7.

On the DA4es the mid band is taken out of the surround EQ. The normal EQ has this for all channels but the surround eq was useful to help with room conditions or help match speakers up.

Having A+B speakers on at the same time shuts down all channels accept the main channels. I use to have my config using 4 front speakers with A+B going plus center and surrounds. I no longer have this set up since I'm in an apartment but would like to go to this at some point.

Right now the DA4es would not sound nearly as good as how Ihave my V444es tweaked. The DA5es has even more missing features I use. I bought it a year ago and sent it back in a week because it was such a downgrade.

Now maybe if you had not used these features before you might notice or if this is your first ES receiver you wouldn't know what you are missing. It sucks that sony punishes it's long time users buy taking out all of these unique features. I want my cake an eat it to. I want new features to be added without losing previous features.

NickSP

Supporting Actor
Mark, I had a 555ES and I always thought that the Cinema Modes worked on the DPL platform, right? Are you saying the Cinema modes took 2 channel stereo stuff and worked independantly off the DPL processing?
I have the DA4ES now and if I hear a CD thru Cinema studio EX modes then are you saying it is being played in the DPL format and not the Cinema Mode format? How do you know that? PLease help erase my confusion. Thanks.

Mark Davenport

Stunt Coordinator
Cinema Studio mode on my model the V444ES can work completely independant of the DPL mode. It defaults to have DPL on but their is an option to turn it off. Once turned off you get All channel stereo from any source. You can play DTS and have Cinema Studio on top of that which gives you use of the rear enhancer, virtual speakers and the cinema studio propietary DSP which greatly improves the image of any source played through it. It is essentially Sony's Logic 7, or there DTS Neo or DLP II but Sony has had this since about 98. So basically if you cannot turn DPL off on cinema studio mode like the user above stated your signal goes like this

Cd------>DPL---->Cinema Studio----->your speakers.

With it turned off you bypass the DPL, having DPL on screws up signals not encoded in DPL and this way you get to reap the benefits of All channel stereo with all the tweaks of the cinema studio mode but not have DPL screwing up your signal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks