What's new

Sony Pictures Store is shutting down (1 Viewer)

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I got an email from Sony indicating that their online store is shutting down. For whatever reason, my Mac thought it was junk mail, but when I went directly to the website, there is a pop up replicating what was in the email.

https://www.sonypicturesstore.com/login/

I did note that the email included a link to get a free download from a very limited (7 or 8 titles) selection of films. Slim pickings, but I chose "Underworld". My wife just loves vampires movies, and who doesn't like to see Kate Beckinsale in a leather cat suit.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Thats surprising considering what seems to be a trend toward Digital media

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
It's a pretty useless place anyway.
It only really exists to sell digital codes and that can be done 100 other ways.

Sony Rewards is still there for points and redemptions though it still under complete renovation.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm not surprised that the Sony digital movies store wasn't a big success. It seems like it failed for a reason similar to the reason neither Blu-ray nor HD-DVD was very successful while there was a format war - the average consumer does not want to have to associate a particular movie with a particular studio.

This is why iTunes is successful, why Vudu is successful, why DVD was successful -- the average movie fan does not care whether the movie was brought to them by Sony or Paramount or anyone else. They just want to watch the movie. Expecting a customer to remember which movies they liked were from Sony and then going specifically to Sony's website or app isn't reasonably when a service like iTunes simply has all movies from all studios readily available without any extra memory games required.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I received this notice today:

FINAL NOTICE | IMPORTANT ACCOUNT NOTICE | ACTION REQUIRED

Dear Sony Pictures Store U.S. Customer:

In case you did not receive our prior email notice, we would like to update you that Sony Pictures Store will be shutting down its website and discontinuing all related operations in the U.S. effective January 31, 2019. This will be the final email notice you will receive regarding the Sony Pictures Store shut down.

The good news is that by taking the actions below you will be able to:
  • Watch the movies and TV shows in your library through Vudu
  • Redeem your digital codes through Vudu and/or Movies Anywhere
  • Watch the movies in your library on Movies Anywhere
  • Receive a complimentary movie on Movies Anywhere *only* until January 31, 2019!
To do this, you must have your Vudu account linked to your UltraViolet library, and to Movies Anywhere.

If you don't have a Vudu account or have one but it is not linked to your UltraViolet library: Click "Go to Vudu,” where you can sign up or log into your Vudu account by clicking “Sign In” on the top right corner of the Vudu home page.

After signing up or logging into your Vudu account, go to "Account Settings" (accessible in the drop-down menu on the upper right-hand corner of the Vudu website) and follow the instructions to link your UltraViolet library to your Vudu account.

Jeff Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Brooks
I received that today, as well. I just wonder when they will have an avenue to enter the codes from the last 5 discs I purchased. They say it will be an app. Once they stopped shipping movies on disc as a reward, they at least started offering free streaming from Vudu.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I'm not surprised that the Sony digital movies store wasn't a big success. It seems like it failed for a reason similar to the reason neither Blu-ray nor HD-DVD was very successful while there was a format war - the average consumer does not want to have to associate a particular movie with a particular studio.

This is why iTunes is successful, why Vudu is successful, why DVD was successful -- the average movie fan does not care whether the movie was brought to them by Sony or Paramount or anyone else. They just want to watch the movie. Expecting a customer to remember which movies they liked were from Sony and then going specifically to Sony's website or app isn't reasonably when a service like iTunes simply has all movies from all studios readily available without any extra memory games required.
Sony's ULTRA service (only available on Sony UHD smart TVs) will be next on the chopping block, unless they join MA, but even then, it is a rather frustrating experience for anyone who has no clue nor even cares WHAT studio OWNS which movie. For anyone who has ever used the app, when you open your library, it shows every single title in your UV library, regardless of studio, and if you select a movie that Sony does not own the US video rights to, a rather rude pop-up window appears telling you "To play this movie, please access your UltraViolet Collection at uvvu.com."

I've called their support to complain about how frustrating it is to have to wade through a library of more than 300 titles and have to remember if it is a Sony title or not, plus that the average Joe Consumer does not know or even care what studio owns a movie and that if it shows in a library as "owned" it should be accessible. Plus the fact that there is no real way to access and watch a movie on the UV website (unlike Movies Anywhere). Sony has thanked me for my feedback, but have been told "that is what our developers wanted." Um, OK....

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Sony's ULTRA service is just plain confused at this point. I called again last week, and was told two things:

1. I should not be seeing non-Sony titles in my ULTRA library. They asked me to logout, login, and if I still see non-Sony titles, then uninstall and re-install. Nope - they are still there.....

ULTRA_UV-Titles.jpg

2. All redemptions of Sony titles on Movies Anywhere should be appearing in my ULTRA library. According to the agent I spoke with, he seemed to think that UV and MA were identical services. I told him they were not, although he did say he was aware that UV was going away this summer. He asked me to send him a list of Sony titles that were redeemed on MA that were not appearing. I did, and we shall see what they say next....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks