What's new

Sony Japan release list on online PS2 titles...BIOHAZARD!?! (1 Viewer)

paul h

Supporting Actor
Decent line up of games...cant wait to see how Res Evil is gonna work online.

"A total of 30 online projects were announced at the conference. Note that many publishers didn't commit to exact game titles yet and only announced what genres the titles will fall under. Although Resident Evil 4, Zero and 1 (Remake) remain GameCube exclusive, Capcom is in fact developing an online title in the Resident Evil (Bio Hazard) franchise for the PS2. But without much further ado, here's the list:

Massively Multiplayer Online RPG (Atlus)

The Dungeon of Doruaga (Arika)

Auto Modellista (Capcom)

Bio Hazard [working title] (Capcom)

Tokyo Highway Battle Online (Genki)

Nobunaga's Ambition Online RPG [working title] (Koei)

Music Game [working title] (Konami)

Sports Game [working title] (Konami)

Shogi Dojo 24 [working title] (Success)

Soreyuke! Karaoke Heaven (Success)

Final Fantasy XI (Square)

Guru Guru Onsen PS2 [working title] (Sega)

Simulation [working title] (Sega)

Hundred Swords (Sega)

Race [working title] (Sega)

Arc the Lad Online [working title] (SCE)

Kuma Uta [Bear Song] (SCE)

GT Online [working title] (SCE)

Minna no Golf Online (SCE)

Mojibu Ribbon [working title] (SCE)

Network Board Game [working title] (Takara)

Multiplayer Action Adventure [working title] (Tecmo)

Table Game [working title] (Tomy)

Clockwork Online [working title] (Namco)

New Action Adventure Game [working title] (Namco)

3D Flight Shooting [working title] (Namco)

Namco Sports Online [working title] (Namco)

Project Venus [working title] (Namco)

Bomberman Online [working title] (Hudson)

Armored Core Sigma Project [working title] (From Software)

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to guess some of the as of yet unnamed titles from Konami, Sega, and Namco -- but we shall refrain from speculating for now.

Sony also explained the functionality of its "Broadband Navigator," which opens up the world of the Internet for PlayStation 2 owners in Japan. Here's a quick overview of the Navigator's main features:

PS Emulator / PS2 Player: plays PlayStation and PlayStation 2 software downloaded from the network.

Mail / Instant Message: send email and instant messages to other users.

PlayStation Jukebox: play back music downloaded from the network and stored on your hard drive.

Real Player: enjoy streaming video content on your PS2 via this media player app also available on PCs and Mac (developed by US-based Real Networks). "

Ken Kutaragi was questioned about the 'threat' of the XBox, interesting reply:

Kutaragi-san: Microsoft has made it clear that they plan to pursue a broadband network for the Xbox. Rather than a threat, we view them as partners progressing towards a similar goal. Albeit separate, we're happy to be heading the same direction at the same time.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
I wasn't really excited about online PS2 stuff, as online is pretty expensive, and the volume of extra bits the PS2 needs is ridiculous (I'm not forking out for a hard-drive addon if I can help it).

However, "Mojibu Ribbon [working title] (SCE)" Could this be Vib Ribbon 2? If so, then you've got me intruiged!

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
I'm actually wondering if a "true" Resident Evil game is even feasible as an online game. The inherent problem lies within the fact that the game has always used pre-rendered backgrounds, and this brings up many problems with co-op or even multiplayer scenarios.

I suspect they'll redesign the game to be more of a 3rd person action game like Soul Reaver; the Resident Evil liscense is probably there to sell some games.

But you have to wonder, in the back of your mind, whether Sony can actually make the online thing a great success, especially at a price point that makes it more than just a casual purchase.

Brad Grenz

Second Unit
No reason RE online can't be full 3D like Code Veronica. And I don't think prerendered backgrounds are the technical stumbling block you think they are. Why do you think they pose a problem? Maybe I'm overlooking something. I have to say I'm wondering what a multiplayer Biohazard game would even be like. It couldn't be massively multiplayer, could it? No. I'm thinking it has to be co-op. Running through a zombie infested location, shooting up the place and splitting up to get around obsticles. Like Resident Evil 2 only with the 2 characters being played through simultaniously.

paul h

Supporting Actor
Only certain titles in the Res Evil/Biohazard franchise are exclusive to the Cube...

"Shinji Mikami never once said that all games related to the Biohazard franchise would be exclusive. Not including the three ports, the deal was that Resident Evil, Resident Evil 0 and Resident Evil 4 would all be exclusive to GameCube and Capcom Japan recently re-confirmed this on their website a few days ago. "

Camp

Senior HTF Member
"exclusive" now means "to share with your competitor" -it's the new English.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
As long as Resident Evil Online comes out after RE4 for GameCube (the last one to be released), then the deal is still valid.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Morgan, not at all. They could release RE:Online tomorrow & the deal with Nintendo would still be 'valid'. Hell, they're releasing RE:Gun Survivor 2 in Europe on the PS2 any week now! None of us know the ins & outs of the deal.

Brad Grenz

Second Unit
Yeah, Nintendo secured exclusives for the traditional, single player RE games, but Capcom can spin-off as many titles as they want.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks