What's new
World Wide Stereo

Sony HD Monitor and XBOX (1 Viewer)

kumar

Stunt Coordinator
I recently bought a Xbox console. I connected to the TV directly and works fine. But I guess I am not getting the 720p, since my TV is only a HD Monitor does not have tuner in built. I get excellent reception on any HD channels from my cable box that has a HD Tuner.

Now if I connect the XBOX to my HD Cable Receiver, will it upconvert and relay the signal to my TV as 720p? If yes, how do I change the channel settings on my cable box to send XBOX signal and not cable signal to my TV?

John S

Senior HTF Member
I don't know how dated this info is...
How are you connected to your display? Takes DVI, or Component Video(3 RCA Connections / Coax cable), some form of a DB15, or maybe even firewire for 720p, 480p, and 1080i....

What does all this mean for Xbox games?
With very few exceptions, Xbox games support 480p. If you want to get really serious about your HDTV, you gotta go for games that support 720p resolution:

Amped® 2 (Xbox Live™-enabled)
Crash Nitro Kart™
Delta Force®—Black Hawk Down™ (Xbox Live-enabled)
ESPN Major League Baseball (Xbox Live-enabled)
ESPN NBA Basketball 2005 (Xbox Live-enabled)
Freedom Fighters™
MVP Baseball™ 2004
NBA® 2K3 (Xbox Live-enabled)
NBA® Ballers™
Sega Sports™ World Series® Baseball 2K3
SoulCalibur® II
Steel Battalion™—Line of Contact (Xbox Live-enabled)
Street Hoops
Terminator® 3: The Redemption
The Sims™ Bustin’ Out
Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 4
Tony Hawk’s Underground
True Crime: Streets of L.A.

But, if you really want to go all-out, try one of these games that support both 720p and 1080i resolution:

Dragons Lair 3D: Return to the Lair
Enter the Matrix™
MX Unleashed™
Syberia

Mark Gurney

Stunt Coordinator
kumar,

Couple of things are needed to display High Definition games from your X-Box console to your HD monitor.
  • * Ensure that you have high definition material. Not all X-Box games support 480p/720p/1080i. Check the back of the game box.

* You need either the high definition kit from Microsoft for the X-Box or a third party vender (Belkin, Pelican, etc). These kits will basically provide a component connection from the proprietary X-Box connector to the component connections on the rear of your TV. Check your local game retailers to obtain.

* You will need to enter the setup process of your X-Box and tell your system to utilize high definition signals.
These are pretty basic instructions on getting HD up and running on your X-Box. For more detailed instruction try searching on your favorite search engine.

kumar

Stunt Coordinator
OK I think I did all the things correctly as Mark and John had mentioned. Only thing I was not aware of was not all XBOX games are in HD. :b :b :b :b

I dont have any of the HD games listed by John or the list from hdtvarcade.com with me. Maybe I will borrow/rent from a friend/blockbuster this weekend one of the HD Games to see how they look on my TV.

Thanks guys.

James Phung

Second Unit
By the way, the xbox used to have problems playing some non 480p and up games on edtv/hdtv displays. It's been fixed but in case anyone doesn't know, if the xbox console menu is showing up in 480i, you can hold the L+R triggers and press the 2 analog sticks down and it will switch the console menu to 480p and also let you play 480i games in 480p.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandallFlagg
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale