What's new

Sony destroys your speakers (1 Viewer)

Brandon B

Second Unit
I heard a news story this morning on a network affiliate (KNX Los Angeles) radio that a new Sony CD copy protection scheme would introduce watermarks which when copied digitally would create segments of howling distortion which could damage or ruin speakers.
I am assuming this is severe misinterpretation on the news copy writer's part about the recent method of introducing areas of white noise which error correction glosses over, and is incorrect about the speaker damaging part. Has anyone else heard this?
Seems very ridiculous and liable to bring lawsuits against any label attempting it, as no one has full control over what CD's are played on their systems. Even Microsoft doesn't blow up your computer if you use pirated windows (and I'm sure they would if they could).
Goofy news error or frightening new development?
BB

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Sounds like a goofy news error. Please don't be offended, but I suspect your topic header may tend to perpetuate it.
M.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Sounds like the news story was a bit exaggerated. The scheme (if it works) would basically introduce clicks and pops into copies of "protected" material. Not enough to destroy speakers (unless perhaps if you listen at ear-bleeding levels at the threshold of amp clipping to begin with).
There's already a thread on this topic: click here. It's not just Sony either, it's our old pals Macrovision that developed the scheme (or one of them anyway), and a few record companies have been quietly slipping us "protected" discs for several months now, on a trial basis. They won't tell us what CDs have the scheme though.
KJP

DaleB

Stunt Coordinator
TSK, TSK!
[Edited last by DaleB on August 02, 2001 at 10:43 AM]

DaleB

Stunt Coordinator
If your speakers can survive some of the techno music out there, they should do just fine!
Then I would say, "SONY! Bring it on!"

Kevin P

Screenwriter
If your speakers can survive some of the techno music out there, they should do just fine!
Then I would say, "SONY! Bring it on!"
LOL... with a lot of the stuff kids listen to nowadays, adding noise as a protection scheme would probably be an improvement!
biggrin.gif

KJP

KyleS

Screenwriter
Kevin now that funny
laugh.gif

I can agree that Sony should bring it on as it just might improve some of the music out there today.
KyleS
[Edited last by KyleS on August 02, 2001 at 01:31 PM]

Peter McDonald

Stunt Coordinator
I just found this news story at a computer site: http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/20809.html
It's about the copy protection, and how when duplicated, it can ruin speakers. However, someone has already bi-passed the copy protection. There is a link at the bottom of the page about it (Sony just started testing the copy protection last month and someone has found a way around it, too bad Sony)
Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks