What's new

Sony 51HW40, Toshiba 50H81, Hitachi 43UWX10B (1 Viewer)

Michael_S_J

Auditioning
it's so hard to make up my mind about which tv i want. ive been all over the forum about diff. sets and now after hearing a lot of your input and reading a lot of reviews ive narrowed my choices down to either the Sony 51HW40, Toshiba 50H81, or the Hitachi 43UWX10B, any input would be very helpful. keep in mind that i need a really good line doubler and and really good stretch modes because the majority of my viewing will be analog cable until i can afford a STB and HD antanae. Help!:eek:

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
If I were you I would go with the 53UDX10B. It is the most affordable of the sets that had a significantly better picture with cable signals. The 53 inch 4:3 will give you a significantly larger image with size picture than the 43 inch 16:9.ALL Aspect Ratios.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I had a 53UWX10B for 2 weeks. It had a shimmery effect in solid bright areas of the screen when watching ntsc cable and satellite channels, could not hold a consistent black level from channel to channel on cable or satellite channels, and had a nasty green tint in dark areas of the screen. It's variable stretch mode had a lot of funhouse mirror effect at the sides of the screen. Fleshtones looked posterized, as if everyone was wearing heavy pancake makeup. Reds were not red but a sorta dark orange.
For the 2 weeks I owned it I spent at least an hour a night trying to tweak the thing into a decent ntsc picture, to no avail. DVD and HD only had the green tint issue and less of the pancake makeup effect than ntsc.
After 2 weeks I gave up and decided to return it and get a Tosh. Then I saw a Sony KP51HW40 up and running--it seemed to have better convergence and a smoother ntsc picture than the Toshibas I'd played with, and thinking bigger is better ordered the 57" version which was not on display.
Within 10 minutes of delivery I knew the Sony was a keeper. 20 minutes of calibration in the user controls with the AVIA disc and I had a really nice picture--no pancake makeup effect, very realistic color, consistent black levels, and a much better variable stretch with much less funhouse mirror effect.
I've had it 3 months now and have done a couple of easy tweaks in the service menu to reduce/eliminat SVM in most of the picture modes and eliminate the minor red push the set had. So far the set has not had a single glitch.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Steve

It sounds like you might have had a lemon, but one thing you complained about "no pancake make-up effect", I have heard that seeing the makeup on a person with a high def signal is a sign that the set has outstanding resolution. Instead of smoothing over the make-up, a real good set will give you that extra detail.

That is one price you pay for real hi-def.

The Hitachi sets I have seen in Circuit City looked great. Always looking better than the sets on either side.

I understand that having one bad experience with a particular brand will get that brand written off completely.

That is why I shy away from Sony TVs. My experience with owning that set was a nightmare. Another guy I work with has also sworn off Sony TV after his XBR crapped out in 3 or 4 years.

Anyway, you are happy with the Sony and I hope it stays that way.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Arthur,
I should clarify or correct myself. The pancake makeup effect on the Hitachi was very much worse on ntsc sources than HD.
HD on the Hitachi was actually stunning except for the green tint problem, which I understand can be corrected. It was primarily with cable and satellite ntsc, and to a significantly lesser extent dvd that I was dissatisfied with the Hitachi.
I've had bad experiences with a Sony rptv in the past, as well as an early 90s 27 inch direct view which died prematurely and could not be repaired, so I'm not really one of those diehard Sony enthusiasts by any means.
I had an Hitachi 53SBX59B analog rptv for 2 years that I considered to be the best analog rptv available, and was very very happy with. The UWX Hitachi was my first choice based on my experience with the SBX.
I realize now that my previous post was perhaps a bit overcritical of the Hitachi.
I should have emphasized that my criticisms were based on my experience with my gear and that other's results may vary.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mattbuffalo
Recent bookmarks