What's new

SONY 50'' LCD Vs. SAMSUNG 43'' DLP (1 Viewer)

salim_N

Grip
I'm ready to join the digital TV revolution. I'm weary of plasma because of burn in & price. So I've narrowed it down to 2. The Sony kf-50xbr800 lcd rear-projection and the samsung hln437w dlp Monitor. I'm leaning towards the SONY but I've heard that DLP technology is more reliable (lcd's have pixel problems) plus it has a better DC filter (3d y/c vs. 3D). Both around $3000. What do you all think is best? Alternatives?

Sal :D

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Salim, I also moved this post to the appropriate area (as with your receiver-related post). The Basics area is a place where people can ask, for example, what LCD and DLP are in the first place. Questions about specific models of RPTVs are to be posted here. Thanks. JB

MarkLaf

Stunt Coordinator
From what I have been reading Texas Instruments is developing DLP tech and they are saying its going to do away with many tv technologies. I prefer the samsung hln437w dlp Monitor due to its beautiful picture and the fact that its a sammy and i love there tv's.

Just my 2cents though!

MArk

Jeff Me

Agent
Both of these are valid choices. I prefer the Sony, but others prefer the Samsung. You might want to check out the Panasonic 50" LCD TV. The ones I have seen have a nice picture as well and they tend to sell for less if you are willing to negotiate. This set appears to be a great value.

The Samsung and Sony required significant tweaking to get the best picture. The Panasonic looks better out of the box. I don't know if it is better with tweaking yet.

salim_N

Grip
I've red allot of comments about the Samsung and problems with motion blur and rainbow "effect". I see DLP as the better technology but its new and still needs tweaking. LCD isn't perfect either with its dead or faulty pixels. Should I wait for the technology to be improved?

Rick Lyon

Stunt Coordinator
I' ve read some interesting info on DLP-LCD and right now I think DLP has the slight edge. LCD has higher rez but weak blacks. DLP is brighter, deeper blacks and the bulb lasts 20,000 hours longer.

Some DLP units have the rainbow effect, but newer models are taking care of that issue. To check, stand in front of one and run your eyes right to left. The rainbow effect will show the spetrum of color running along the face of the screen as your eyes glide back and forth.

The tech to look out for is LCOS. (liquid crystal on silicon) Higher rez then LCD and I have yet to hear negatives other then expensive. There are a few models out but it's still new tech.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks