What's new

So where's the Constantine Review?? (1 Viewer)

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
I was sure by now that HTF would have posted the Constantine review.

I've noticed that not only on this site, but others as well, DVD reviews aren't posted like they were a couple of years ago. DVD-Basen is having less and less reviews of popular movies, more importantly, movies that you want to see a DVD review on. (ie special effects, audio etc)

Just wondering if this is preparing for the HD-DVD reviews that will be hitting shortly.

I dunno, kinda makes me sad...:frowning:

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
If you are wondering whether to buy/rent it, I'd be saying yes. The film looks pretty damned good and the sound quality rocks. I wasn't too keen on the movie... a little disappointed... but the features are exhaustive on the Deluxe Edition, and the price difference is nominal. If you liked the movie, get it.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I liked it because I hardly ever see this sort of subject matter (Hell, demons, etc.) given the big budget treatment. Worth the price, if only for some nice demonic eye candy...

SteveJKo

Second Unit
Technically this was a great movie to look at. Unfortuantely everything else about it is terrible, I found myself bored and looking at my watch to see when it would end.

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
I don't know, I've watched the first 30 minutes and so far I think it's great! I had to turn it off due to my newborn crying. Priorities right?

So it looks and sounds great so far!

Can't wait to watch the rest this weekend. :emoji_thumbsup:

Dave>h

Second Unit
HI,

I finished watching this last night and have to say that bothe audio and video qulaity were excellent.

I have a 61" Samsung DLP, which is not always very forgiving of poor transfers and this film looked great!

On the audio side, their were lots of excellent panning effects and some very deep bass which will give your sub a work out. Regretably, there is no DTS soundtrack but the DD track is excellent. Overall, I found the soundtrack to be very natural sounding, given the subject matter.

Not a lot of room for subtlety on this sound track, it is very in your face, but personally, I found it to be excellent. One of the best recordings I have heard thus far this year.

Regards,

Dave

PS, I am a Hellblazer fan and while Keanu isn;t who I would have picked to play Constantine, I think he did a really great job and the movie held up very well through out. I was not bored in the least.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
re: lack of reviews

Different studios have different policies -- some of them are very strict about sending out pre-release copies of certain films. Also, sometimes screeners just don't get sent out on time for whatever reason. There is also the chance that the reviewer who would handle a particular release is unable to write it up for personal reasons (could be away that week, or have job commitments, etc.).

I would recommend that if there's a film that you're *really* keen to see reviewed, then post something here or PM the reviewer who handles that studio a few weeks in advance. Our time is limited, and if there's a title that members are anxious to see written up, especially if it's something obscure (which this one isn't), it's helpful to know in advance so we can plan ahead.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
See it specifically for Stormare and Swinton. Those two roles were head and shoulders the best things about the movie for me.

I debated picking it up myself, but while the film as a whole was nicely refreshing in giving us a special effects laden view of demons and hell, the Matrix-esque cramming of holy shotguns just ruined it for me. Reeves is okay, but man wouldn't it have been fun if the same story were wrapped around Harry D'Amour from Clive Barker's books an Lord of Illusions movie?

Jacob McCraw

Stunt Coordinator
I watched this last night from Netflix and I think I'll buy it. I thought the picture and sound were great, but I had to crank up my center channel because the dialogue seemed really soft, especially Keanu, compared to everything else. I read through the discussion thread and there were some comments to that effect in there as well so I think that's just how the film was mixed and it's not a DVD problem. There is a scene in the film where a bunch of different phones are ringing that makes for a great directional effects demo.

I have read a couple of Hellblazer comics but not enough to taint my enjoyment of the film. Peter Stormare is freakin' awesome in this as someone mentioned above. This is a rocking movie that I definitely recommend.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Mine 2-discer came today from Overstock; I'll definitely be checking it out this weekend. This is one I would have liked to have seen a second time at the theater.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Great visuals of demons and hell. Poor story and not one character to hang your hat on.

StephenP

Stunt Coordinator
This is one film I actually regret not buying the 2 disc. I liked it much more than I thought I would.

Rakesh.S

Second Unit
in the same boat as most folks --

visuals were great, story sucked as did Keanu Reeves, who mumbled his way through the movie playing the same character that he did in the Matrix movies. I can't believe this guy is picking up $20 million checks for his movies.

Imagine if Keanu Reeves and Viggo Mortensen were to make a buddy cop movie.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
I thought Keanu Reeves was actually one of the high points of the movie and I'm usually not a fan of his other than the first "Matrix" and "Bill & Ted".

StephenP

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone familiar with the comic: what is the deal with his arm tattoos? What was he trying to do when Gabriel stopped him?

craig_curtis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Craig
I enjoyed the movie as well. some pretty creepy stuff, which is fun. I did notice the low audio mix. It was clear, but I had to turn it up more than I usually do.

So what were some of you guys expecting? movies like this are more or less used to sell popcorn. I don't read too much into watching them, other than to feed my imagination, and just enjoy the movie. Occasionally there are exceptions that make a movie even better, but sometimes its nice to just watch a movie, and not overanylize it!

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Rented and watched this the other night. Enjoyable one time see with some great PQ and SQ. Not something with a high rewatch factor though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks