What's new

So, What Are You Wrapping Up 2011 With? (1 Viewer)

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
We can all agree 2011 has been an incredible year for movies on DVD and Blu-ray despite the continuing bad economy and predictions of doom and gloom for the Home Entertainment industry. It has been anything but gloomy when it comes to movies, especially for those of us who love strange, obscure or quirky movies (you know who you are!) and, despite my disdain for Corporate Hollywood, even they have managed to turn out a few good flicks throughout the year. So, what's left on YOUR 2011 shopping list? For me: The one and ONLY, original, FRIGHT NIGHT on Blu. Thank you, Twilight Time. RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES. Summer's best film, IMO THE DEBT will be a blind purchase. Never got a chance to check it out in theaters. COWBOYS & ALIENS. Fun popcorn flick, nuff said. COLOMBIANA. Zoe Saldana as a hot hit chick? How can anyone pass this up? CITY OF GOD. Amazing Brazilian film finally making it to Blu. BODY PUZZLE - Lamberto Bava (1992) 99 and 44% Dead/Nickel Ride from the awesome folks at Shout! Factory. Nice way to wrap up an incredible 2011 lineup. Thanks Cliff! A good mix of old and new. Bring on 2012. I still think the Mayans were wrong - it CAN'T end next year :D (at least not until I get The Abyss on Blu)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
As far as classics, I'm looking forward to the Technicolor releases of Stars and Stripes Forever (Fox) and, supremely, Meet Me in St. Louis (Warners) coming in December.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Not a whole lot left for me this year.

I should be getting this in the mail today or tomorrow

Guaranteed to be delayed from it's street date like every other Media Blasters release so I'll be shocked if it makes it out this year.

Though I might just hold off on this one until the next Barnes & Noble sale

Haven't seen this in many years so hopefully this holds up well.

Also undecided on Fright Night, a little too steep a price for a film I only moderately like and I'll probably end up blind buying Rise of the Apes as long as I get a halfway decent price on it.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I didn't buy much at all in the first two thirds of this year, as I'm mostly interested only in the "old" Stuff, but there's been a ton of great releases this past few months. Mysterious Island arrived today. Yesterday I ordered the Alien Anthology box (for only £13.97!!), & I'm sure that will be my last purchase this year, but I've pre-ordered Cleopatra for next year.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
After BF week and Cyber Monday, I'm about $350 over my (loosely imposed) budget for DVD/Bd purchases. It's actually higher than that, but I'm defraying part of that with sales of other DVDs/Bds from my collection. I'm hoping to be able to get close to wiping that 'overdraft' out entirely before the year is up. Ironically, most of that deficit was due to picking up lowly DVD-R's from the Warner Archive sale, rather than Bds - which for the most part were bargain basement (or rather Wal-mart bin/Big Lots) priced. Thankfully, the last month of the year will be relatively dry for me. Will definitely be getting The Rocketeer Meet Me In St. Louis (though I'll be waiting to get it closer to $20 through coupons or some other deal) Design For Living (got in at 50% off from B&N before they nixed pre-orders) The Lady Vanishes (ditto) I'd like to get 99 and 44% Dead/Nickel Ride but I'll wait for a good deal to turn up first. Look forward to seeing Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes, but will wait till the price hits $15 in about 6-8 months. No hurry, I got plenty else to watch now.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Trying to keep to a lower budget was more than being just about the money spent. It's the sense that I'm already overloaded with media that I don't have enough time to fully enjoy. And in the scramble to sell off older stuff to subsidize the new, I deny myself the opportunity to leisurely enjoy what I've already collected. Hewing to a restricted budget and limiting my purchases would force/allow me to appreciate more what I already own. Unfortunately, I love a bargain and the last couple weeks have had some amazing ones. I'm happy December is going to be relatively quiet. I also just found out that B&N should be having a 40% off sale on Blu-rays the week before Christmas. Looks like I will be canceling my two pre-orders with Amazon and waiting a bit to get them from B&N.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Paul_Scott said:
Trying to keep to a lower budget was more than being just about the money spent. It's the sense that I'm already overloaded with media that I don't have enough time to fully enjoy. And in the scramble to sell off older stuff to subsidize the new, I deny myself the opportunity to leisurely enjoy what I've already collected. Hewing to a restricted budget and limiting my purchases would force/allow me to appreciate more what I already own. Unfortunately, I love a bargain and the last couple weeks have had some amazing ones. I'm happy December is going to be relatively quiet.
Well said Paul. I feel similar. Like you, I can't resist a bargain. I just bought the big Alien Blu-ray box set yesterday at the low price of $40. Now that it's in my hands, I should be watching it, but yet the 15 disc-BD set of Lord of the Rings is now $49 and I'm seriously considering ordering it now before it goes way back up. What is wrong with me? Yet, I'm trying to keep a lower budget on this stuff. "overloaded" and "appreciate" are great words to remember with this hobby.
And I still can't decide whether to pull the trigger on the LOTR set :D

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by David Deeb But its only $10.99! Aaaaaack! I almost wish it would go back up so I wouldn't be tempted!

Back on topic...I missed Cowboys and Aliens in the theater this summer and we also missed The Help. Those will both be mine. Soon!

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Ha. Thanks Mike. I'm sure someone is saying, "But you're enabling him". You've given me justification to wrap up the year with those purchases (and if I can sneak them in... The Naked Gun, Airplane, Gladiator and Braveheart.... all of which I've put off waiting for the inevitable price drops).

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Nice thread. Thanks for starting it.

I got the one set I was yearning for all year,
The Lord of the Rings Extended Edition. Was

not going to pay $80 for it and had vowed to wait

until it reached half that price.

Settled for $50 during the Amazon Black Friday

sale.

Don't have anything in particular I really want at

this point. I passed on West Side Story and

My Fair Lady because of the transfer issues.

I did notice today that Tora Tora Tora is $20

on Amazon. And, I also noticed the Adele Live

at the Royal Albert Hall Blu-ray/CD combo. I
think those will be my next purchases.

Oh...have never seen the Alastair Sim version

of A Christmas Carol so I may finally buy that

on Blu-ray next week.

Visit our
imgrepo
DVD,
imgrepo
BLU-RAY and
imgrepo
3D REVIEW ARCHIVES

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein

Oh...have never seen the Alastair Sim version

of [url=http://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Carol-Anniversary-Diamond-Blu-ray/dp/B005FOW9CI/ref=sr_1_5?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1322951101&sr=1-5]A Christmas Carol so I may finally buy that

on Blu-ray next week.

What a treat you are in for, Ron!

Pull that trigger and enjoy one of the greatest performances ever.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
$50 is an eminently fair price for the LOTR set, imo. I thought I was getting a decent deal earlier this summer when I paid $63 shipped, but if I'd had a lick of sense, I would have waited for BF- since I still haven't watched them anyway. At $50, you're just under $17 per film- and it's a very classy, sturdy, and compact package to boot. Well worth the upgrade. The Seven digibook is a good deal too. The thing about this time of the year- these deals linger for a bit and we all get the impression that these deals are the new baseline prices and then we get a splash of cold water in our faces come January when all the prices go back up and stay there. If there is any chance you think you are going to want to make use of this stuff within the next six months, I say go for it. After a few weeks, you're going to have to hunt hard for good bargains. Speaking of which- here's another heads up next week (12/6) B&N is starting a BBC sale- 50% off, and I believe it covers all BBC titles. then about a week before Christmas, there will be a 40% off ALL BDs sale. If you have a B&N membership, there's another 10% off on top of that. Great time to mop up some of the last releases of the year, or anything you missed out on during BF.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Paul_Scott

I know what you wrote to be exactly true. I would have been regretting it as soon as the price jumped up.

I totally relate to what you wrote in that first quote box. I just don't have the time in my life to watch all the discs i pick up. But I love it when I get a chance to go on a bit of a watching binge...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks