What's new

Smallville S3 finale "Covenant" 5/19/2004 (1 Viewer)

Jonathan Carter

Supporting Actor
Well, if the voice isn't Jor-El maybe it's General Zod. Since they got Terrance Stamp to do the voice that would be awesome. Also, the big "S" shaped thing we last saw Clark trapped in looked a lot like the square prison we saw Zod and his crew trapped in in Superman 1 & 2. Never did figure out how that was supposed the be the Phantom Zone from the comics, but oh well.

Anyway, if it is indeed Jor-El's voice, I think the re-education he was referring to is teaching Clark that he needs to get used to the fact that he is supposed to be a hero to mankind and needs to start using his powers for the good of people, not just to save the people of Smallville.

These season ending cliffhangers Smallville has each season are brutal. Makes for a very long summer.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

The no tights, no flights is a rule for the show, in that he won't fliy or put on the suit until the series is over.

However, the recent flight with Kara isn't the first time he flew. Clark hovers above his bed in the second episode, and in "Rosetta" he dreams of flying, and then wakes up in the middle of route 8 where Lex finds him. He tells Lex he was sleep walking, "but, I don't know how much walking was involved." Obviously, he sleep flies.

This is just another example where what the producers say in interviews isn't as set in stone, or at least concrete, as they try to make it out.

Jonathan Carter

Supporting Actor
I don't really classify levitating around at a snails pace and hovering above a bed as flying. When I think flying I think of Clark zipping around the sky while doing the classic Superman pose, not having to be help by a faux Kryptonian and inching through the sky.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
True, but it's still indicative of them bending the rules that they themselves set down. To be fair, we don't know how fast Clark flew while sleep-flying, just that he ended up in the middle of the road--it could have been a lot faster than inching.

Jonathan Carter

Supporting Actor
but you never saw it so they haven't violated their statements. I'm pretty sure they said you would "see" no tights and no flights, not that there wouldn't be any period and that none would be implied.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Exactly, they bent the rule rather than break it. It's indicative of the idea that they will do what they have to in making the show interesting. If that eventually includes outright breaking the rules, than they've already set the precedent that they might have to. Especially since the no flights rule was bent in the second episode!

Jonathan Carter

Supporting Actor
But it wasn't broken in the second episode. Hovering above ones bed isn't flying around. 2 very different things in the context of the show and even scientifically if I'm forced to get technical.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
No, it wasn't broken, it was bent.

Hovered, flew, gravity was still defied and that's not something any human can do.

Michael Henry

Second Unit
Real Name
J. Michael Henry
Would be very cool if they did a "Greatest American Hero" thing and showed Clark dicovering his flying ability...of course it would alot different from his, ahem, heat vision discovery...

Think about it - flying into the barn, slamming into the front yard and creating a huge ditch, taking off to space...accidentally...

Would be some funny TV...

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
I'm with Jonathan... dear God, don't do anything "Greatest American Hero" did. Sure, you could have him experimenting with flying and do it in a moderately humorous way, like the first web-swing in Spider-Man, do that for an episode, and show Clark gaining confidence over the rest of the season, but reluctant to use it because he knows it would call attention to himself. But let's not make it comic.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

However, his bedroom is not such a regulated environment, is it?

I'm also not into any comical flying bits like Greatest American Hero.

Jonathan Carter

Supporting Actor
The point was that hovering isn't flying. Oh well, at least we agree that anything resembling Greatest American Hero would be a bad idea.

Michael Henry

Second Unit
Real Name
J. Michael Henry
I see - so he should just NKOW how to fly..come on guys, all I was saying is that that episode would be great - just like with the heat vision episode...

Not a permanent thing...

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Yeah, but heat was funny because of what triggered the heat vision, and what he had to think about to replicate it, and finally control it--not because he was awkward or anything.

However, if you're meaning a return of that hot teacher to trigger his flying, I'm all for that! ;)

Jonathan Carter

Supporting Actor
Yeah, it was more hormonally awkward humor (for lack of a better phrase), not really stupid/silly humor like Greatest American Hero. It's the difference between someone witty like Bill Murray and a lowbrow hack like Adam Sandler.

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
If the producers are going to infuse humour into the flying scenes, I hope they don't use areosol cans ala "My Secret Indentity".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks