What's new

Smallish 16:9 Set? (1 Viewer)

Tom Koegel

Stunt Coordinator
We are shifting around some rooms in our house, and my wife and I are pondering the possibility of adding a set to our reconfigured bedroom. Having had the pleasure of a Toshiba TW40F80 (non high def) for the past four and half years, I couldn't imagine going back to a 4:3 set. Is there anybody who is making a small 16:9 direct view set? We could definitely live with a 28" set, but I've never seen anything less than a 34".
Forgive the cross post with the HDTV area, but there is more traffic here and I might accept a non HD 16:9 set.
Tom

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Oh, don't I wish! It is my opinion, (and a strong one at that), that the TV manufacturers have really screwed this one up.
They are out in other countries, but I know that doesn't help. The best thing to do is to start writing. I'd suggest Phillips, Samsung, Sony, toshiba and Pansonic.
Glenn

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Glenn,
Panasonic, Toshiba and Sony have 16:9 direct view sets that are 34" (the Sony might be larger, I don't recall...it's the newest :)). I'm sure there are others but those I am sure of off hand. My only gripe is that these cost $3000-4000. So why get a 34" when for LESS you can get a 56" Toshiba? That's just my opinion though, some people prefer direct view. Hope this info is at all helpful.
Tom,
Sorry, I haven't seen any 16:9 sets under 34" either. But I'll look around for ya.
Dan Hine

David_D

Stunt Coordinator
Philips has a 30 inch 16:9 set. I have seen that one at Good Guys among other places. I think I have also seen a Panasonic 30 inch at Ken Crane's in Southern California, but I haven't found any mention of it on their web site. (Maybe I was in the twilight zone...)

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Maybe the '02 model are starting, but at 3 - 4k, you'd have to be nuts. Ok, maybe if you had a major, major space limitation problem.
What is funny about the price is that when a 'new' item comes out, it is priced high because it is 'new'. Just like Intel's latest P4 chips, they come down later, but these companies have been cranking these out for a couple of years now, so it isn't that 'new.' They should be flogged!
Glenn

Tom Koegel

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the tips, guys. The Philips 30" set is actually two sets: a 30PW9815 and a 30PW9817. They seem to differ from each other only in that the 17 has a 3D Y/C filter, whereas the 15 has a plain old "comb filter". Online prices are all over the map, with the 17 going as low as $1999 and the 15 as high as $2600.
Much as I love my non HD Toshiba 16:9 RPTV, an RPTV is just not going to fit into the layout. A plasma would be ideal, but that would be ridiculous overkill.
Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks