What's new

Shows that look vastly better on TV and streaming than on DVD releases (1 Viewer)

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I re-up'ed with STARZ for a month and verified that Wagon Train is now in HD 1080p there as well, so if you want to watch the later seasons, 6 through 8 you can find them there. Unfortunately, I believe there are still the same missing episodes as before.

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
I watched "Blood Is Thicker Than Junk"--great to see it uncut. It did have the double copyright years at the end.

I also checked out "Mama's Baby, Papa's Maybe" and "Fred Sanford, Legal Eagle" to see if a certain word might have been edited out, but it wasn't. "Mama's Baby" did not seem to have a tag scene, unless they edited a fadeout and I missed it. There was a closing scene with Fred and Lamont that was like a tag scene. I've seen the episode many times, and I'm pretty sure it was uncut. On "Legal Eagle," the closing theme played out for 20-25 seconds after the credits finished, about the longest I can ever remember it doing so. On the other two episodes, the Sony logo came up right as the credits ended.

Sanford episodes always end with the director's credit before the end credits roll. If "Mama's Baby" had a tag scene removed, then they stuck the director's credit in early. I think that was done for some Barney Miller episodes that aired on TV Land. They cut the final scene and stuck the director-writer-producer credits at the end of the previous scene and then jumped to the end credits.

There's one oddity with "Mama's Baby." The opening credits have "Starring Redd Foxx with Demond Wilson." The other two episodes I mentioned have "Starring Redd Foxx and Demond Wilson." I think it was around season four that they gave Wilson a starring credit, but apparently some earlier episodes have the later opening-credit sequence with the "and" credit.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
also checked out "Mama's Baby, Papa's Maybe" and "Fred Sanford, Legal Eagle" to see if a certain word might have been edited out, but it wasn't. "Mama's Baby" did not seem to have a tag scene, unless they edited a fadeout and I missed it.
Are you talking about the DVDs or streaming?

SteveB651

Auditioning
Real Name
Steven
The 3rd season of The Hardy Boys Mysteries (1978-79) looks fabulous on Peacock. Night and day compared to the grimy, cut syndicated version DVDs. As far as I can discern it's HD. The previous 2 seasons (with Nancy Drew) on Peacock seem to be from the same masters used for the DVDs. Uncut, much better looking than the 3rd season DVDs but a bit tired looking and not HD.

Last edited:

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
I watched one of my favorite Sanford & Son episodes tonight on Peacock, "The Suitcase Case." Gabriel Dell (billed here as Gabe) plays a robber who has a special way of making Fred remember things.

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
Still would love to see Route 66 completely remastered, looking far better than what you'd see on DVDs, especially the first half of season one!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks